What is the better NIKWAX product?

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Nobody has anything to say about either of these products? I see guys talking about Nikwax for their boots all the time. Just wondering which is the right one for a pair of Tibets. Thanks!

I've used the paste wax on boots before (not on my tibets though). Seems to work good. I would usually apply two times though to increase durability. Once you start busting brush and lots of wet undergrowth it seems to wear off rather quickly. I currently use Obenaufs, which works okay. I believe Lowa recommends water-based wax so as to not de-laminate the rand. Some guys say Obenaufs does that, I haven't personally experienced that.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Nubuk & Suede Proof and it seems to work good if applied on a regular basis. The paste will darken and smooth the leather as noted above, if that's a concern to you. Not sure which product is better. The Nubuk & Suede Proof is in just about every store in our area, so it's what I use. I've steered clear of products like Obenaufs due to stories of rand separation. Not saying it happens, I just don't want to take the chance.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have used the paste for man years with good results....beads up very well,but as noted with a lot of underbrush do reapply every few weeks during season...been difficult to get around here so tried obenhaufs on my kenetreks this fall with good results.

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't received my new tibet's yet, so I haven't used this product, but Lathrop and Sons sells a waterproofing product specifically for use on boots with rubber rands. I ordered some with my new tibet's.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the material.

I know Scarpa recommends the Nikwax leather cleaner and proofed on their silicone full grain leather boots.

I followed directions and those boots are still waterproof as ever 5 years later even though they're beat to shreds.