What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

• Lowa

Votes: 136 28.0%
  • Scarpa

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • Asolo

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Danner

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Salomon

Votes: 44 9.1%
  • Kenetrek

Votes: 80 16.5%
  • LasPortiva

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Hanwag

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • Salewa

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Meindl

Votes: 90 18.5%

• Total voters
I think I originally voted for Lowa, but now that I've had the Kenetrek Mtn Extremes for a few months, I'd say it's a better boot for me.

I've now had the Kenetreks out on at least 5 backpacking trips, including several short scouting trips and my most recent week-long backpack muzzleloader hunt. They have been great. The most waterproof boot I've ever owned, even while sloshing through dense, wet vegetation.

I cleaned them today and applied some Kenetrek boot wax. They look almost new with approximately 60 miles of (mostly) cross-country walking on them. Good thing too, considering the cost.....

Tiger Rag

WKR
Does Backcountry have the Omega or just carry other Hanwag models? Do you know if they will do special orders? Thanks man. :)
You can order the omegas directly from Hanwag online or you can order on eBay from a guy "matuska"(I think that's his store name) and they come direct from Europe. Better know your size though. That's where I got mine and they are outstanding! Great service, price was better too. Exchanges likely difficult though. Shipping back is going to be expensive if they don't fit. I've 2 other pairs of Hanwags so I was comfortable with my size and ordering direct.

Been running solomon quests for a couple years now (multiple pairs). Bought a pair of Crispi Nevada's over 6 months ago to switch to. Broke them in hiking and wearing to work a lot. Just before my hunt I chose to pack in with the solomons, even though they are beat to chit. Just more comfortable and way more quiet. Crispi's don't fit as well and they squeek when sneaking around, not to mention are twice as heavy. Another pair of quests is in order.

Wrongside

WKR
You can order the omegas directly from Hanwag online or you can order on eBay from a guy "matuska"(I think that's his store name) and they come direct from Europe. Better know your size though. That's where I got mine and they are outstanding! Great service, price was better too. Exchanges likely difficult though. Shipping back is going to be expensive if they don't fit. I've 2 other pairs of Hanwags so I was comfortable with my size and ordering direct.

Appreciate the additional info.

I've tried the Hanwag site and the Omegas come up as "Size not available online", or something like that.

Admittedly, I'm a complete eBay idiot and so, couldn't locate the user you mentioned. Only one seller on eBay seems to stock the Omega, and then only the GTX versions, Sports and More. A German store. I may try contact them about ordering a set of leather-lined ones. I've owned a few Hanwag boots now, so sizing is pretty well dialled in for me...

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe you guys could offer some advice. I was born with flat feet and a year ago I went to orthotics with wedges on the inside to help with overpronating ankle angle. These inserts did a few things. One, they make your feet weak but there's not really a cure for that. Two, in conjunction with number one above, they made my feet longer essentially making my existing footwear too short. Three, they raise my heel out of the heel pocket in my boot and this is the bad part. I need a higher heel pocket or get rid of the wedges.

I have owned 3 different pairs of La Sportiva, just about every Meindl, about 4 different pairs of Vasque, Danners, countless jungles & combat boots (I faked my physical in order to be in the Marines by making my foot appear to have an arch) and now Lowa Tibets. Brooks Beast is what I have to run with.

With some of my favorite boots I have arthritis to deal with in each big toe joint from being flat footed. This is only an issue when the boot flexes giving aweful pressure points. It seems worse with boots with rubber all of the way around.

Did you ever receive the advise you were looking for? I too have flat feet and use orthotics. I'm interested to hear what you do for boots now. I've been using Danners (cabelas elk hunters & elk ridge). I'm looking to get new boots as my Danner elk ridge boots are worn out.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Lowa Tibet GTX Hi with green Superfeet. Great boots that fit my foot perfectly.

jm1607

WKR
I like Salomon because of the price point, although the tow box is a little narrow..

I love Scarpa Activ SLs because they are the only boot I've found that uses Cocona..

Damn, this is from 2013???

TheCougar

WKR
I use Meindl Perfekt Hunters from Cabelas. They are exceptionally comfortable with just the right amount of support and flex, plus a wide toe box. The top of the boot is kinda wide and tends to catch debris. I wore through the toe of the boot my first year from kneeling and crawling around. Cabelas gave me a new pair, no questions asked. This time, I plan on putting some tuff toe on the toes to prevent this from happening again.

I used Merrell and they wirked great. I would be interested in how much better some of these worked better than merrell from those who wear both.

CDNPO

FNG
Three seasons on my Salomon Quest Origins GTX. Comfort is great, support is good and they seem to be holding up really well.

Muttly

WKR
Scarpa Grand Dru, with super feet orange. About five or six months in them so far, and the more time I spend in them the better I like them.

I use Meindl Perfekt Hunters from Cabelas. They are exceptionally comfortable with just the right amount of support and flex, plus a wide toe box. The top of the boot is kinda wide and tends to catch debris. I wore through the toe of the boot my first year from kneeling and crawling around. Cabelas gave me a new pair, no questions asked. This time, I plan on putting some tuff toe on the toes to prevent this from happening again.
good boots. would be Perfect if they put a toe cap and shaved just a little weight.

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Based on the poll results, it looks like a ton of guys run Lowas. Just curious, what is the general consensus for having any issues with leaking with the Lowa boots? I've read a bunch of forum posts on Tibets leaking and have experienced the same thing. My Tibets started leaking after a single elk season. I typically train in them 1-3 times per week and treat them with the Lathrop boot cream that is noted to be compatible with Goretex, and am still having leaking issues. I absolutely LOVE how they fit my feet, but I would like to find something that doesn't leak quite as bad. Maybe I just got a bum pair? I also have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and they are extremely waterproof. Way more so than the Lowas, but the Kenetreks don't fit my feet as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
Based on the poll results, it looks like a ton of guys run Lowas. Just curious, what is the general consensus for having any issues with leaking with the Lowa boots? I've read a bunch of forum posts on Tibets leaking and have experienced the same thing. My Tibets started leaking after a single elk season. I typically train in them 1-3 times per week and treat them with the Lathrop boot cream that is noted to be compatible with Goretex, and am still having leaking issues. I absolutely LOVE how they fit my feet, but I would like to find something that doesn't leak quite as bad. Maybe I just got a bum pair? I also have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and they are extremely waterproof. Way more so than the Lowas, but the Kenetreks don't fit my feet as well.

Thanks guys!

FWIW, my experience for best waterproof boot has been my meindl denalis and even the perfect hunters and kennetrek boots. I tend to follow your line of thinking too, comfort is important but I will sacrifice a bit for waterproofness. Luckily for me with both the Meindls and the Kennetrek fit me well and have been very waterproof.

Scot E.

Thanks guys!

The rand on mine cracked after just a couple weeks and the rand on my highs is coming loose. Replacment is free, but breaking them in is no fun. May try something different.