What knives are you using for mountain hunting?

What knife/knives are you using for mountain hunting?

• Total voters
I don't think one knife can do it all. Mora knives for fine sharp work, something bigger and beefier for stuff like skinning. Not that hard or expensive to get a few decent task specific knives, nor does it take up a lot of weight or space.

Havalon, Outdoor Edge Swing Blade and OE boning/filet knife (folder). May be overkill but having them all makes it easier. Skinning, guide cuts, backstrap cuts, and boning out. I'm not ready to make the havalon the only knife. I respect that seriously sharp blade though.

I'm using almost the exact same knives as Trout Bum and have been really pleased with the Havalon and Swing Blade. I haven't found a better knife than the Swingblade for opening up and breaking down a moose.

Well no more e-theorizing for me as a finally shot my first deer :). And four of my hunting partners also got their deer so my knifes got quite the workout this year.

I gutted and removed the hide from two deer with my Victronix Hunter folder and it worked great for those tasks.

What really shined though was the "Little Vicky" strait edge knife. While breaking down the deer that was the knife both I and my buddies kept reaching for. From quartering to filleting out bs to detailed cleaning up the wound it shined in all aspects. I'll still carry the Hunter for removing the hide but I can safely say my pack will never be without my Little Vicky. I never had to sharpen it and would be thrilled to use it again on a successful late season elk.

While getting some supplies at the butcher I noticed they had a bin full of them so I asked their opinion on it. The response was that was all they use for merchandising and was the only knife the sell to clients.

For those looking for a $5.00 alternative to a Havalon I'd highly recommend the Little Vicky!

This.
86c5b59b8806f7be3965ce275f938d1c.jpg

I used a Havalon, Mora Fire Knife, Kestrel and the Outdoor Edge Razor this year. Of those, I prefer the Outdoor Edge to the Havalon although it is not as sharp it is still plenty sharp for field work and easy to work with. I like the Kestrel as a nice compliment for skinning etc. Those two will probably be the ones I usually carry for game.

I still use what my local taxidermist recommended years ago: Buck 102. Great all around knife that can skin, bone out, and cape. Also carry a backup that alternates between a 110 folder and a morakniv.

Here's my mountain hunting knife as of last year.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415504308255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415504308255.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 86
New. Got it yesterday. Now I just need an animal to cooperate.
e827d060f748c4e6402fc9e0036ea7db.jpg

Helle makes some sweet knives. I've had an Orn for a few years and have taken apart a couple elk with it, and it holds an edge really well. my havalon has been my go to blade recently, but I still carry the helle in my pack. I really like the styling of their knives.

boom how did you order that knife? I do not see a way to order on teh Helle website....

I went thru Amazon. It was not a great experience. And I got hit with tax.

Moosejaw carries them. And if you search "retail me not " you can get a 10% off coupon and not have to pay the tax. Save you about $30.

Let me know if you need help with links. The knife is amazing. The edge is toothier than I usually like but I think I can work it out, or get used to it. It is sorta scary how sharp it is.

i'm a fixed blade guy..just always wonder what happens if i get screwed in the woods and need a big knife and all i have is a havalon..
dumb thinking since i am not that hardcore backcountry guy i imagine...but i do get back there..especially on trout fishing trips.

quick update on my new Helle. razor out of the box!! BUT...i notice a burr, a nick in the edge. i could see it with my naked eye. i touched it and i can feel it. SOB!! if i was at a store, i would have asked for a new/different one..but no. so i honed it out. you dont know me, but my honing..i hit or miss. i got the burr gone, but the entire edge was super toothy. it cut paper pretty ragged. i kept at it. following the scandi grind. i'm not sure if it was a true scandi..cuz it got dull!! really dull. wtf? i put it away and went back at it today. i followed the scandi stubbornly. i used a fine grit diamond stone..then moved to the green ultra fine..whoa!! it was getting there. i think i forced the scandi edge back or something. it is damn sharp now. i like to put a tiny bevel on the thing..so i ran it a few times down an accusharp. really smooth now. the toothy is gone.

i think a MORA is a billion times sharper, and easier to sharpen.

mora is 110 grams.my helle is 215gr. the blade is easily twice as thick. super burly. i bet money my mora does most of my wet work. haha.

I carry two knives a Cutco serrated for the heavy work and a Damascus 4" blade I make for everything else.
Knives are my one luxury Where weight isn't a issue

Attachments

• roydamascusmango1.jpg
    roydamascusmango1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Well, with Christmas almost here, I finally decided its time to try the havalons. I ordered a piranta and a baracuta bone saw combo kit. If my reading on here is correct, Ill be able to store both knives in the Baracuta case, and have a lot of flexibility to try these things out and have a complete kit that doesn't weigh much. From skinning, to gutting, boning and filleting I think Ill have a knife for the job. I will probably move to a quality fixed blade knife for camp duties, etc, and carry my leatherman charge TI as the all purpose tool. Not exactly a featherweight set up, but that's why im hoping to have with me. Need to get the havalons in hand and run them throught a few animals before Ill know how well I like em.

Back