What layer (base or 2nd) do you like hood on?

I'm finishing building out my layers and am trying to decided on hooded 1st layer or hooded 2nd?

I tend to get cold, and don't like to be cold, but I like to be out in the cold.

For my base layers I have landed on some of the items from first lite. For my 2nd layer I am using Kuiu peloton 97.

I'm trying to decide if I want my first lite next to skin layer to be hooded or the second layer, which I may or may not have on to be hooded. Or both?

Concern is too many hoods. Sometimes, being able to have a hood on when it is warm out is nice. Protection from the sun can make things more comfortable.

So, next to skin (always on) or next layer out?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm finishing building out my layers and am trying to decided on hooded 1st layer or hooded 2nd?

I tend to get cold, and don't like to be cold, but I like to be out in the cold.

For my base layers I have landed on some of the items from first lite. For my 2nd layer I am using Kuiu peloton 97.

I'm trying to decide if I want my first lite next to skin layer to be hooded or the second layer, which I may or may not have on to be hooded. Or both?

Concern is too many hoods. Sometimes, being able to have a hood on when it is warm out is nice. Protection from the sun can make things more comfortable.

So, next to skin (always on) or next layer out?

I have hoods on all my layers if possible. During elk hunting I’ll use it when pushing through thick brush to keep needles from going down my shirt. It adds extra warmth in colder weather. I’ve never had an issue with too many hoods at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
I have hoods on all my layers if possible. During elk hunting I’ll use it when pushing through thick brush to keep needles from going down my shirt. It adds extra warmth in colder weather. I’ve never had an issue with too many hoods at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that feedback.

I like hoods as they help keep my bald head warm and I can't loose them like a hat. Yes, I also sport a good hat.

Just one item in particular I like is the FL hooded Chama. It's a thinner Merino hood but very versatile and I like it against my skin. Also good for concealment of the sides and back of my fat head.

2nd layer if your down to your base layer might not be cold enough to worry about having a hood. Throw a skull cap in the pack just in case. I hate the hood balled up under layers especially with a bino harness on

OP
silverbullet555
I like hoods as they help keep my bald head warm and I can't loose them like a hat. Yes, I also sport a good hat.

Just one item in particular I like is the FL hooded Chama. It's a thinner Merino hood but very versatile and I like it against my skin. Also good for concealment of the sides and back of my fat head.
I have an essentially bald head as well. Do you run hoods on multiple base layers or just on 1 base or 2nd layer?

I of course have a hood on a few outer layers, but not my soft shell.

I have a skre hoodie. Forget the name. I'll be buying the FL klamath when i get a good deal. And I'll be adding some more of their merino x and aerowool.

Right now I have a couple kuiu peloton tops I'm trying to decide between. One hooded and one not.

2nd layer if your down to your base layer might not be cold enough to worry about having a hood. Throw a skull cap in the pack just in case. I hate the hood balled up under layers especially with a bino harness on

I wear a first lite merino beanie quite frequently. Wear it under my hat a lot as well. Warmth and sweat control.

I'm getting to the point where I only like them on my outer layers, and I would rather use neck gaiters, beanies, or balaclavas to add other warmth. I find myself getting annoyed with having to choose between leaving a base/mid layer hood tucked in the back of my jacket or nested in my jacket hood when I only want the jacket hood, and when you end up with 3+ layers with hoods it can start to get really annoying.

Where it starts to get complicated is when you're down to your base layer and you're hiding from the sun, or its mild temps or higher activity and your mid layer becomes your outer layer. In those instances I would settle for a hat and a thin neck gaiter, because that's a less annoying compromise to me than the one previously mentioned.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
The only hood I have beside rain jacket is my black ovis 230 weight hoodie. This is usually my second layer. If I need to add a 3rd witch is my grid fleece it is likely that im still and the hood on my second layer will go up or its that damm cold so the hood will be over my thin beanie and up off my back anyway. If I'm active enough to just have my base layer on but my ears get cold I'll have a merino beanie and or a neck gaiter. I wouldn't want too many hoods I'd rather opt for a heavier weight beanie and gaiter. Just my preferences.

ljalberta

WKR
My base layers don't have hoods. I like hoods on everything else though, so that would be fleece (if really cold), puffy, and rain jacket. I've never had an issue with 3 hoods bothering me. I always bring a toque and neck gaiter as well. I hate being cold and love every chance to lock in a little additional heat, especially during the long stationary glassing sessions.

snowplow

WKR
Heres a different way to look at it. If you live around rain, dont get a marino hood. They get soaked and take forever to dry. A peloton hood would be excellent.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
as others said I also have options with me-neck gaiters and mask

with hoods
the first or second is warmest but it pushes my hat forward all the time which I hate. the outer layer is not quite as warm but more practical.

Shraggs

WKR
I love a hood on base layer like the chama. Thin enough that it doesn't alter the fit of my next layers. And it's great to sleep in. After that I only like hoods on my outerwear like my puffy. But never my mid layers. To complex and fiddling around to lay right.

snowplow

WKR
I love a hood on base layer like the chama. Thin enough that it doesn't alter the fit of my next layers. And it's great to sleep in. After that I only like hoods on my outerwear like my puffy. But never my mid layers. To complex and fiddling around to lay right.
Totally agree with this until there is enough rain to tip the scales.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk