What optic should I get

Hi I have a ruger prescion in 6.5CM and I need an optic the ones I am deciding between are The

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA EBR-2C in FFP​

And the buschnell match pro 6-24x50 in FFP
Which one would you go with? Any others I should consider?
My needs are wanting to shoot well past 1,000yds potentially to a mile but also still being able to shoot relatively close (100yds) budget around $500

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
If you can afford to move up to the next bracket ($500-$700) then there are some really good budget scopes.

The PST Gen 1 was ok in it's day but is surpassed by then newer designs, the being said the 6-24 model was one of the better ones in the Gen 1 range.

The PST Gen2 is a big step up from the Gen1, the Strike Eagle 5-25 is also a good option, the Venom is reported great value also but I've not used one.
The Bushnell Match Pro 5-30 is also reportedly very good in this price range, it's quite similar to the Strike Eagle but again I've not used one.

I personally l think the PST Gen2 is the best scope in the $500-$900 price bracket (for your inteded usage atleast). Although in the $900-$1200 price bracket there are now some pretty good options.

Last edited:
If you can afford to move up to the next bracket ($500-$700) then there are some really good budget scopes.

The PST Gen 1 was ok in it's day but is surpassed by then newer designs, the being said the 6-24 model was one of the better ones in the Gen 1 range.

The PST Gen2 is a big step up from the Gen1, the Strike Eagle 5-25 is also a good option, the Venom is reported great value also but I've not used one.
The Bushnell Match Pro 5-30 is also reportedly very good in this price range, it's quite similar to the Strike Eagle but again I've not used one.

I personally l think the PST Gen2 is the best scope in the $500-$9000 price bracket (for your inteded usage atleast). Although in the $900-$1200 price bracket there are now some pretty good options.
You can get much better scopes in the $500-$9000 range. Now assuming you meant $900, there’s still much better scopes that can be had than a vortex anything. You can find nightforce, trijicon, swfa, all within that range.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
You can get much better scopes in the $500-$9000 range. Now assuming you meant $900, there’s still much better scopes that can be had than a vortex anything. You can find nightforce, trijicon, swfa, all within that range.
The only NF under $1000 is the SHV 3-10 and that is a pretty lack luster scope.

The only Trijicons under $1000 are all hunting scopes or LPVOs.

The SWFAs in that range are either out of stock or very low magnification (the exception being the 3-15 non HD and I'd take my PST 3-15 over that any day of the week).

The OP mentioned in another thread he wants a precision scope he can try stretch this RPR out to a mile.
None of the Rokslide specifical scopes less than $1000 are remotely suitable.

The only NF under $1000 is the SHV 3-10 and that is a pretty lack luster scope.

The only Trijicons under $1000 are all hunting scopes or LPVOs.

The SWFAs in that range are either out of stock or very low magnification (the exception being the 3-15 non HD and I'd take my PST 3-15 over that any day of the week).

The OP mentioned in another thread he wants a precision scope he can try stretch this RPR out to a mile.
None of the Rokslide specifical scopes less than $1000 are remotely suitable.
You can get a credo 2.5-15 under $900 new. You could probably find a used tenmile and maybe a new one, under $1000. I’ve seen a few nightforce that weren’t the 3-10 sell used for $8-900. If he wants repeatability, he should look elsewhere than a vortex.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a credo 2.5-15 under $900 new. You could probably find a used tenmile and maybe a new one, under $1000. I’ve seen a few nightforce that weren’t the 3-10 sell used for $8-900. If he wants repeatability, he should look elsewhere than a vortex.
The 3-15 PST I've been using for the past 5ish years begs to differ, as have been my experience with many other Vortex scopes (although I'd never recommend the budget models).

I appreciate the drop tests are gospel here, and I can even agree that a bulletproof 3-9 scope is probably what most hunters should be looking at.

But for long range target shooting I wouldn't choose any of the scopes you've recommended other than maybe a used Tenmile. But once you start pushing into that $1000 category and start looking at used scopes then there are many many more options available.

The OP can choose whatever he likes, I'm just trying to give some alternatives that aren't just the standard, link to the drop test forum.

Yes, much better to clutter the thread with recommendations for scopes that have a history of poor durability than to steer someone new to an unparalleled collection of data on how scopes should and do perform.

Multiple swfa 5-20s in the classifieds right now for ~800

The 3-15 PST I've been using for the past 5ish years begs to differ, as have been my experience with many other Vortex scopes (although I'd never recommend the budget models).

I appreciate the drop tests are gospel here, and I can even agree that a bulletproof 3-9 scope is probably what most hunters should be looking at.

But for long range target shooting I wouldn't choose any of the scopes you've recommended other than maybe a used Tenmile. But once you start pushing into that $1000 category and start looking at used scopes then there are many many more options available.

The OP can choose whatever he likes, I'm just trying to give some alternatives that aren't just the standard, link to the drop test forum.
You’re missing the point of the tests same as I did for so long. It’s not just the drop test, but the scopes ability to do as it should. From holding zero to dialing. Even before the drop tests, it was pretty known vortex has some issues. And I owned a bunch of them. Thankfully they never failed me, but they didn’t stick around long enough to get the chance. Target shooting, sure use whatever. If it takes 10 adjustments to get on target at 1000 yards who cares, right?

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
You’re missing the point of the tests same as I did for so long. It’s not just the drop test, but the scopes ability to do as it should. From holding zero to dialing. Even before the drop tests, it was pretty known vortex has some issues. And I owned a bunch of them. Thankfully they never failed me, but they didn’t stick around long enough to get the chance. Target shooting, sure use whatever. If it takes 10 adjustments to get on target at 1000 yards who cares, right?
What vortex models did you have out of interest?

What vortex models did you have out of interest?
I’ve had 2 viper hs 4-16, viper hs 6-24, 1 hslr 4-16, 2 diamondback hp 3-12, razor lht 3-15

I prefered the vipers over a vx3i I had. The 6-24 was on a muzzleloader and way too much scope for woods hunting. I also didn’t feel it would last long in that rifle. Ended up getting a vx5 for that gun which has since been replaced by a credo 2.5-15. The diamondback hp were the first vortex scopes I ever bought. For the weekend warrior they’re probably ok. I loved the lht. Bright and clear. The reticle I really liked. Just couldn’t shake the fact it might fail at any time.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, much better to clutter the thread with recommendations for scopes that have a history of poor durability than to steer someone new to an unparalleled collection of data on how scopes should and do perform.

What is the history of the Vortex Venom for failure? I bet most people haven't even tried one as they have one out since the drop tests started

I do however agree a used 5-20 for $800 is actually a good suggestion you are now recommending scopes in the $900-1200(or even 1500) price bracket which is well outside of the OPs budget and not at all comparable to the scope he has asked about.

If he has that much to spend he could get a new Burris XTR3 3.3-18 for $850, which hasn't been drop tested but is somewhat based of the XTR2 which also hasn't been drop tested but had a history of being a reliable scope.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had 2 viper hs 4-16, viper hs 6-24, 1 hslr 4-16, 2 diamondback hp 3-12, razor lht 3-15

I prefered the vipers over a vx3i I had. The 6-24 was on a muzzleloader and way too much scope for woods hunting. I also didn’t feel it would last long in that rifle. Ended up getting a vx5 for that gun which has since been replaced by a credo 2.5-15. The diamondback hp were the first vortex scopes I ever bought. For the weekend warrior they’re probably ok. I loved the lht. Bright and clear. The reticle I really liked. Just couldn’t shake the fact it might fail at any time.
I don't particularly rate the HS/HST series, they were very similar to the PST Gen1 but overall a worse scope.

I upgraded from a HST 4-16 to aVX5hd 3-15, but as I got into competitive shooting wanted FFP and Mil so went to the PST Gen2 and have had great performance ever since.

A lot of Vortexs bad reputation came from those earlier scopes and the cheaper models, I haven't seen a Diamondback or a Crossfire I'd ever considered owning.
I wouldn't buy another HST or any HS scope as the glass, and eyebox is pretty dated now.

Until the new Strike Eagle came out I didnt think anything less than the PST Gen2 was worth owning but the 5-25 I had was fairly good and they seem to be somewhat reliable.

I'm not someone who discounts the drop tests, but I'm also not going to sell all my scopes and buy SWFAs based on the results. Especially not when I've had years of reliable use from the scopes I have, and in circumstances where I'd know if I was have zero shifts every time I went out shooting.

If your budget is $500 I’d heavily consider Arken Optics. The EP 5-25x is right at the $500 mark and the sh4 gen 2 is $350ish. For the money they simply can’t be beat. 34mm tubes, ffp, zero stop, great clear glass right out of the box.

While I appreciate Form’s testing of the scopes, his tests are unrealistic for the majority of hunters; at least the drop test portion. The super hardcore hunters where that may apply are VERY FEW.

But everyone here takes those tests as the gospel and passes over scopes that have been around and killed countess animals over the years. For the average hunter, the tests are meaningless.

I pay most attention to the tracking tests, not the drop portion of the tests but most here worship the results like a cult following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
never shot past 200 with it but i have looked and spotted targets at well past 1100 yards its the vortex viper 6.5-20x44 best scope for under 400 bucks its capped turrets you can get mil dot or bdc retical its second focal plane the manual will tell you what power to use i think its 14 for when you are useing mil dots works really well killed four deer with it i have it on a 300 weatherby magnum so recoil aint no problem to this scope i have dropped the gun 3-5 times after sight in didnt knock it off perfect for you if you can use 2 focal plane instead of 1 focal plane. this is my opinion do not take offence to this opinion. i just say this cause i hurt some people feelings about powerbelts out of muzzys.