What powder/bullet for co elk hunt

Hello I am new to the muzzleloader seen currently I have been using shooters world black powder as I can not get BO209 and was wondering. What the ideal amount of black powder and the ideal bullet for elk is?

The bullet is much more important than the powder. The bigger the better. My preference after killing lots of elk is something 300gr or more.

Not knowing what equipment restrictions (State) or type and caliber of rifle you’re using, it’s tough to be very specific.

Thor 300 gr copper bullets are hard to beat. A 420-460 gr No Excuses lead bullet is also a good choice.

I’m going after a buck this September with a 270 gr federal borelock and 100gr 777 powder. Getting 3-4” groups at 100 yards which I’ll take with irons. Been pleased with 777 and it’s cheaper than BH209.

OP
H
Thanks, everyone How much powder should I be using? I can shoot at 3in group at 100yds with 110 grains of black powder. I do not have a chrono. Is 110 good for elk within 150yds?

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
BH209 and a 320gr fury universal would be hard to beat.

BH209 is in stock on their website.
Can you share what gun and caliber you plan to use. That will make a difference on the recommendation, thanks in advance.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_3615.jpeg
EDIT:: sorry I forgot CO won't let you use sabots. I would try the ELD-X or full size Thor, Fury, or no excuses. The Eld-x also shot well for me and seems to be working for others.

I’ll give you a run down on my experience last year. I had my first muzzleloader elk hunt here in Nevada. I choose the Barnes 290 tmz bullet to start with due to it being a tough bullet that would have good penetration. I ended up testing different loads and settled on 95 grain of BH209 by volume. This shot well out of my Thompson Center, but every gun will be different.
I practiced a few times a month all summer and was able to group about 3” at 200 yards with open sights. I shot my bull at 190 yards quartering towards and he ran back about 30 yards and stopped while I was reloading. This bullet went through both shoulder blades at 230 yards and was about 1” under the skin in the far shoulder. He dropped straight down after this second shot. I was very happy with the performance of this load and bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpeg
    IMG_3368.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3366.jpeg
    IMG_3366.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
View attachment 703939
EDIT:: sorry I forgot CO won't let you use sabots. I would try the ELD-X or full size Thor, Fury, or no excuses. The Eld-x also shot well for me and seems to be working for others.

I’ll give you a run down on my experience last year. I had my first muzzleloader elk hunt here in Nevada. I choose the Barnes 290 tmz bullet to start with due to it being a tough bullet that would have good penetration. I ended up testing different loads and settled on 95 grain of BH209 by volume. This shot well out of my Thompson Center, but every gun will be different.
I practiced a few times a month all summer and was able to group about 3” at 200 yards with open sights. I shot my bull at 190 yards quartering towards and he ran back about 30 yards and stopped while I was reloading. This bullet went through both shoulder blades at 230 yards and was about 1” under the skin in the far shoulder. He dropped straight down after this second shot. I was very happy with the performance of this load and bullet.
The 300 gr Thor is essentially a .50 cal version of that bullet (with a skirt and CO legal).

thinking about buying the 330gr powerbelt ELR bullets. anyone tried and have an opinion on them?
Yeah, a lot of us have an opinion on Powerbelts (and it ain’t good). Lol