What rifle do I want?

H80Hunter

WKR
I’m hoping you guys can help me as I’m not finding the exact combination I want… I’m looking to build a light(er) weight rifle for western hunting. Likely elk will be the largest species I hunt with it and I’ve been stretching the distance so I want it to be elk capable at 500 yards. Factory ammo only, and I get anxiety about barrel life so I don’t want an outrageous barrel burner. Considering 6.8 Western, 6.5 PRC, 7mm PRC or 7mm Rem Mag. The 280 Ackley seems like a sweet cartridge but probably a no go since I don’t reload. Do not own a suppressor. I can shoot well without a flinch or anything, but I want to stay lighter than a .300 Win Mag.

Features I’d like:
-One of the cartridges above
-pic rail or arca rail forearm - Does this even exist in a factory rifle?
-Under ~7 lbs for the rifle, ideally less, but if the 6.8 western or 7 PRC take off I’d consider a bit more rifle weight for recoil mitigation
-Ideally under $2k for the rifle
-Easy to rebarrel down the road if needed

-I currently have a Ruger American Predator .308 in the Magpul stock, and I really like the MLok sling attachments and the MLok pic rail I’ve got to quick attach a bipod. Because of the 18” barrel it’s marginal (according to speed/energy tables) at 500 yards (for elk) and because of the Magpul stock it’s also very heavy (10.5 lbs) no bipod. LOVE the gun though.

Also have a Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s got a decent Vortex Viper on it and it’s nice to shoot at the range but I’d prefer to use this one as my trainer and then get something a little more “fun” and a little more elk capable.

Last edited:
OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
I went back to edit… I had a .300 win mag and eventually traded it in, think I’d prefer to keep recoil at or below that level. I am confident I could handle the 7 rem mag or PRC but prefer not to go higher.

wnelson14

WKR

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Sweet gun, guess I never considered much of the custom route just because I don’t know a good gunsmith around me.

wnelson14

WKR
Sweet gun, guess I never considered much of the custom route just because I don’t know a good gunsmith around me.
Saw it on here the other day, thought it was sweet especially in 6.8 western. You can get prefits nowadays and invest in an action wrench and some go no go gauges and you’re all set no need for a gun smith.
Here’s another option

PNWGATOR

WKR
You have the rifle for the delivery platform.

Sell the Vortex and your rings.

Get a vertical grip module.

Get Sportsmatch TO84 rings.

Get a SWFA 3x9 milquad mil/mil reticle.

Mount everything as specified on this forum.

Get two cases of Hornady 143 eldx/147eldm and purposefully learn to be a rifleman.

After the above...focus on what matters.

Last edited:

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hoping you guys can help me as I’m not finding the exact combination I want… I’m looking to build a light(er) weight rifle for western hunting. Likely elk will be the largest species I hunt with it and I’ve been stretching the distance so I want it to be elk capable at 500 yards. Factory ammo only, and I get anxiety about barrel life so I don’t want an outrageous barrel burner. Considering 6.8 Western, 6.5 PRC, 7mm PRC or 7mm Rem Mag. The 280 Ackley seems like a sweet cartridge but probably a no go since I don’t reload. Do not own a suppressor. I can shoot well without a flinch or anything, but I want to stay lighter than a .300 Win Mag.

Features I’d like:
-One of the cartridges above
-pic rail or arca rail forearm - Does this even exist in a factory rifle?
-Under ~7 lbs for the rifle, ideally less, but if the 6.8 western or 7 PRC take off I’d consider a bit more rifle weight for recoil mitigation
-Ideally under $2k for the rifle
-Easy to rebarrel down the road if needed

-I currently have a Ruger American Predator .308 in the Magpul stock, and I really like the MLok sling attachments and the MLok pic rail I’ve got to quick attach a bipod. Because of the 18” barrel it’s marginal (according to speed/energy tables) at 500 yards (for elk) and because of the Magpul stock it’s also very heavy (10.5 lbs) no bipod. LOVE the gun though.

Also have a Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s got a decent Vortex Viper on it and it’s nice to shoot at the range but I’d prefer to use this one as my trainer and then get something a little more “fun” and a little more elk capable.
Bass Pro, of all places, has the Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed in 6.5 PRC on sale for about $950. I bought one last week and it’s nice as hell, but weighed about 6.6 lbs vs the 6.5 lbs claim. I’m happy with the purchase. Leaves a lot of money left for higher end glass.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a .270 win and 6.5 prc , both work well and both seem to have plenty of factory ammo in stores these days.

RussDXT

WKR

Get two cases of Hornady 143 eldx/147eldm and purposefully learn to be a rifleman.

This man speaks truth.

TxLite

WKR

This is the most economical route and will get it done. What I’m hearing in the op is “I just want a new rifle” which is also ok. But marksmanship fundamentals shouldn’t be ignored either way

BjornF16

WKR

Your 6.5 CM is more than elk capable...just read through the .223 / 6mm / 6.5 threads on big game. Save the money of a rifle and spend it on ammo and training.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above post. Build up the Tikka, it’s more than capable of killing an elk at that distance.

But, if you want one to buy a new one with a 2k budget. Look at the Seekins Havak PH2.

Go with the tried and true 7RM. The caliber will cover your bases nicely. Save some coin and buy a Tikka T3 Ultralite (muzzle threaded for optional brake). Upgrade the stock from the get go. Plenty of factory ammo to get the rifle dialed in with a mid to high end scope of your choice.

Dustin B.

FNG
Christensen arms Ridgeline would be a good option. You can get it chambered for several different cartridges.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with a 7mag or 7PRC personally; I think they are more elk capable, so whichever you can get ammo for in your area. I'd consider what's below although some are over $2000, but that's what we do best on these forums- help guys spend more money.

1. If you like to build stuff, I'd look into building a full custom with a prefit barrel. You can do all assembly and check headspace without a gunsmith. This will probably run around $3000 if you can swing it.

2. If looking at factory, I'd look at Fierce and the Browning Mountain Pro.

Cfujan

FNG
Look at a Seekins Precision in 7 prc

+1 for Seekins Precision. I went with 6.5 PRC. Might be a little out of your price range once you start talking optics as well. Great company and a great rifle in my experience thus far. Their warranty rivals that of Vortex optics as well.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider

Agree here. SWFA 3-15x42 is good too. Have one on my Tikka 300 wsm.

Of the cartridges you listed, if you have the itch, 7mm Rem mag in a Tikka T3x lite stainless. Based on my Tikka experience, I do not see much of a reason to pay more unless you build custom. 7mm has very good ammo availability. I would lean towards a 150 (+/- 10 gr) mono factory load or something with a bonded bullet. The Hornady 162 Precision Hunter ammo is ok too, though I’m just a smidge skeptical of the ELD-X.