What rifle for hunting with irons?

TaperPin

WKR
That's all obvious. What rifle and sights? I've never looked at rifle options that come ready for or with iron sights.
I thought it was obvious - you can get iron sights installed on any rifle. A front ramp can be screwed on or soldered on. A rear sight can screw directly to the rear scope base holes, attach to a picatinni rail, or holes can be tapped on the side of the receiver.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If you were going to set up a factory rifle to hunt with without a scope how would you go about it? What rifle? Aftermarket sights/peep? This is for deer hunting.

Edit - yeah, I get the concept of hunting with irons. The question is what specifically would you use?

If a bolt action, the T3x Arctic. Was tailor made for it.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Model 70's and open sights are like peas and carrots. Years ago I did a M70 Fwt 30-06 cut to 21" with an NECG rear, and XS Sights front w/ blade. Bansner stock. What I call a Wilderness Wandering Rifle. My next will be similar, but in 308 and different rings.

Shraggs

WKR
One aspect of a lever is the drop for check is already correct. I don’t know about the tikka arctic tho.

I can shoot my win 32 spl with irons to 200, wished it had a peep.

If a lever I’m partial to the browning BLR these days in any number of caliber choices.

eamyrick

WKR

Something like this. I had a low comb pre-64 featherweight with rear peep. I could easily hit 5 for 5 on an 8 inch plate at 150 offhand. Irons are very capable sighting systems. Where they start to suck is low light.

There’s always a CG-63 (CG-80s are even better) Swedish Mauser or two available on gunbroker. I imagine you could shoot deep into muley ranges with one of those. Long sight radius, excellent action (even pre-1900’s specimens), good ergonomic stock, primo target peep sights, and best of all 6.5x55!

If I were buying today, Henry lever action possibly with the 360 Buck Hammer.

Or the new Ruger made Marlins. 30-30 or 45-70.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
My Browning Lever Rifle in 7mm-08 from the mid 80s had some nice iron sights on it.

If I were doing this I’d pick up a Pre 64 Winchester in anything .243 up or a Savage 99 similarly chambered.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think Id be much good past 150yds, if I was dedicated to irons the only rifle Id hunt with would be a 30-30 lever gun.

robtattoo

WKR
Old school cool?
Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57
20230316_200122.jpg

Big boy cool?
Remington 721 in 9.3x62
20220911_143547.jpg

Modern option? Savage Hog Hunter
20210328_224410.jpg

My open sight preference is a shallow V style safari rear, with a highly visible silver or ivory front bead. But, I'm never going to be taking an open sight shot at an animal beyond 100yds (+/-) If I'm know I'm going to be hunting where a longer shot is likely, or even possible, I'm taking something that's full-time scoped.

I have a Williams peep on my '94, with the small aperture removed, but I've never actually hunted with it. I always gravitate to a bolt gun.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
I thought it was obvious - you can get iron sights installed on any rifle. A front ramp can be screwed on or soldered on. A rear sight can screw directly to the rear scope base holes, attach to a picatinni rail, or holes can be tapped on the side of the receiver.
Also, removable clamp on shotgun sight up front for heavier barrel bolty. this with a pic mount rear sight ground to low profile so it sits under the scope as back up, 3 moa. but passed a bunch of drop tests so far, way better than the scopes it resides under.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
A lever gun just looks good with iron sights. A 30-30 has taken a lot of different animals, and is what I would use if I had to choose one caliber. Or a 45-70 lever action if you live in a straight walled cartridge state.

grfox92

WKR
I can't believe it hasent been said yet, but the only correct answer is a Remingtom 760/7600 Carbine in 30-06 with a Williams peep sight. I'm willing to bet my next paycheck that that combo has killed more whitetails in the Northeast than any other open sight combination.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

_S_R_

FNG
it’s sweet looking rifle on pictures for sure. I made mistake and order none fancy in 500 s&w. After over 2 years waiting I received not what I expected. Coating on barrel was smuge and not equal coating. Cheap wood wasn’t fit to the gun. Standard sights too big for even pistol caliber rifle, it was cover 1/2 uspsa target at 50 yards. Trigger was awesome tho.

_S_R_

FNG
If you were going to set up a factory rifle to hunt with without a scope how would you go about it? What rifle? Aftermarket sights/peep? This is for deer hunting.

Edit - yeah, I get the concept of hunting with irons. The question is what specifically would you use?
Tikka battue have irons that works well.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
it’s sweet looking rifle on pictures for sure. I made mistake and order none fancy in 500 s&w. After over 2 years waiting I received not what I expected. Coating on barrel was smuge and not equal coating. Cheap wood wasn’t fit to the gun. Standard sights too big for even pistol caliber rifle, it was cover 1/2 uspsa target at 50 yards. Trigger was awesome tho.
Haven't seen any in person, but they do look beautiful. For that price, though, I would want to hold a few in hand prior to making the purchase.