What scope for my 375 H&H

My .375 H&H is a CZ 550 with a SB Zenith 1.5-6 X 42. German #4 Reticle. Talley QD Rings.
Been to Africa twice: Cape Buffalo + 10 other animals.
Alaska once: Bull Moose in S. Brooks

Been an absolutely awesome set up for me.

SFH

Shraggs

WKR
I bought the trijcon credo 1-6, NF 1-8 and swfa 1-6 for my 358 win lever. Al ffp mil. I kept the trijcon and swfa, both great scopes. I love NF but not that one.

No problem at 400-500 yards on game, targets past 800. Especially the swfa reticle.

I will be getting my new to me 375 H&H this week and I will need a scope for it. I hope to use the gun on some alaskan bear hunts and maybe a moose hunt. What do you guys suggest.
I have used Leupold Scopes exclusively on my .375s and my .416 Remington. I had a friend that had a Vortex fail on a .358 win mag. The .375 H&H gets hate as a Fudd gun on here, but shoots very flat out to 300. 3.5-10 power is what I use on my 7.5 lb. Remington 700 and no reticle failure with Leupold even though the rifle has some recoil. A little more than the beloved, worshiped Creedmoor anyway.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Swarovski z6i 1-6 x 24 on my 375 no regrets.
Super easy target acquisition, and have collected a bull moose at darkfall @ approximately 100yds.

wyosteve

WKR
I just took off a 1.5-5 and installed a VX6, 1-6 with firedot for the low light visibility.

BDWMT

FNG
VX6 2-12 on my 375 Ruger. Several hunts and many days in the field without any problems. Second it as a longer range round than most give it credit for. Crazy easy to tune a load for also.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
It's a valid point, the drop is similar to a 30-06, but that energy, wow!

I should have elaborated on it some more. It's a great round up close. Once it hits the 3-400yd mark, a 338 win mag, 300 rum, or other big 30 cal is going to have more energy. In a dangerous game situation, it's good to have a big heavy bullet.

🤣 You may be the first person to compare drop on a 6.5 vs 375. You aren't wrong though.
This gave me a chuckle, I'm glad I'm not alone in using 6.5 creedmoor as a trajectory metaphor for 375 h&h/375 ruger. I jokingly refer to my custom 375 Ruger (not originally) as the 9.5 Bleedmore (I know, corny...) as with 270 LRX the velocity/trajectory is so similar out to 500 yards. There are times it's hard to argue with the results of a big heavy bullet at moderate velocity, extremely versatile if one is responsibly assessing one's own ability to handle the recoil (or mitigating it).

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP's question, my 375 H&H wears a Nightforce NX8 1-8 and so far I like it but haven't got to test it in alot of different Alaska hunting scenarios yet (soon). I could see in darker, close-in brushy terrain feeling the want to turn on the illumination when below 2x, but even still on 2x (to get the reticle a bit 'bigger') it's pretty darn quick to get behind and get a shot off, and of course it being tough as nails is hard to beat in terms of confidence in the field on a lighter rifle (for a 375).
I nearly bought a 2.5-10 NXS for this rifle (excellent scope) but that reticle isn't exactly bold either, and to clear my back up irons without mounting the scope way too high, the NX8 was a better match in my estimation. Although the NX8 does have some short comings above 7x in regards to 'eye box', not bad enough that it holds me back and it's lighter to boot/offers more FOV for that imaginary situation we all think about from time to time (if we're honest) where maybe the bear's bluff charge isn't a bluff (?) and you have to make a decision quick.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
The scope I settled on after a lot of experimenting, hunting, testing, and $$$ for exact hunting situation the OP is focused on, the scope I settled on for my 'go to', do anything, 375 Ruger is Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 Mil-Dot reticle (green dot, 19 oz.).
That setup has been my 'go-to' for all hunting in AK since I got it just because of it's versatility and effectiveness. Love the scope/setup for normal hunting situations out to max 500 yards.
Recently shot a bedded (partially hidden) Blacktail buck on Kodiak at 385 yards in 'Kodiak' type weather. Never felt limited by rifle/scope setup for that shot, and in thick bear country the view at 1x is so fast and clear it's great. Better than Nx8 on 1x to me.

Previously that rifle wore a Vortex Razor HDLH 1.5-8 that wouldn't hold zero and parallax would change shot to shot, then a 2-10 that suffered the same problems, then a VX3 2.5-8 that I liked but had zero shift up to 4MOA randomly with known accurate loads. Life is too short for scope problems like that. Live and learn I guess.

Have been very happy with Accupoint 2.5-12.5 on 300 win mag also if you're leaning towards more magnification that might be a good option if you don't run back up irons as it's a longer scope and will likely conflict with rear dovetail. I view it as filling a similar niche as the NXS 2.5-10, maybe better in some ways on a hunting rifle due to bold reticle and the battery free illum., if you're one that prefers holding over to dialing in time sensitive situations (comes in MOA dot and Mil dot) for about half the price of NXS. That being said, Kenton Industries still makes turrets for them I think, but the elevation turret 'click resistance' while sharp and precise, isn't as firm as a nightforce so without zero stop might be annoying in the field.

Thanks to IDShane i’m the proud owner of a Winchester model 70 375 H&H. I’m thinking about putting a Leupold Patrol 6HD 1-6x24 ILLUM. FIREDOT DUPLEX.
I’ll be using it as a guide rifle so it’s for backup shots primarily. Couple of the other guides and outfitter have the older Leupold vxr patrols on theirs and they really like them. If anyone has any feedback about going that route I’d love to hear it.

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
Western-I think you've chosen the ideal scope for that gun. My .375 wears the same and without the firedot, I don't think I would have taken the shot a brown bear offered in AK in June. My 6.5 RPM also wears a firedot and similarly, don't think I could have taken an aoudad near dark without the firedot.

BjornF16

WKR
I am a Nightforce guy. I was told by the owner of my local long range gun shop not to get Nightforces 1-8x and he is a pretty avid Nighforce guy also. That is why I am checking other options.
I have a NX8 1-8… what did he say is the issue with them?

The FC-DMx reticle isn’t too hard to see at 1x

View attachment 593264
That reticle does NOT come in the NX8 line otherwise I would agree, something to consider. However, it does not and is still the reason why you do not get the NX8 because it’s FFP and to small to be seen at 1x magnification.

That reticle is only available in the ATACR. They launched that back in February of 2021 and was available mid June 2021. Once again, not the same models. The ATACR 1-8x24 would be a significantly better option over the NX8.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
The .375 H&H Magnum is one of the most inherently accurate cartridges I have ever known. If a big game hunter could only have one cartridge, this should likely be the one. My 375 always wore a 4X Leupold.