What thermal scope do you run?

OP
dennyking

dennyking

FNG
My opinion hunting coyotes where I do, you wouldn’t kill more dogs with a Halo over a Yoter or a Yoter over an Iray, etc. I bet you would hardly kill more with any 640 unit over a 384. If it has a decent picture, the correct native mag, and holds zero that’s the important stuff. The best picture is just a bonus.

I feel like it’s better to have a clear scanner. You are looking through that the majority of the time not the sight. It would be annoying looking at fuzz except when you shoot. It’s like day hunting. I want my binos super clear. I want my scope to hold zero.

Dennyking you haven’t really stated a budget, distance of expected shot, etc. It almost sounds like you are in Washington. My personal opinion is that it sucks hunting coyotes without a scanner. So I would factor that into the budget.

For me 125-225 yards seems to be the sweet spot to shoot. For that distance I like 3x+ native mag. The bigger FOV the better. If you don’t hunt a lot an LRF would be nice.

I suggest you look at the upper end 384 units and a 640 scanner.
Yes, I'm in WA. I'm not really focused on a set budget, I mean I'd rather not spend 2k more on one if I can get near the same performance with a less expensive one. Right now I'm leaning pretty hard toward the Yoter model. I will add a scanner in the future, but I'm going to start with the scope. I may sell a couple guns sitting in the safe to pick up a scanner more quickly if I find just a scope to be a pain in the butt. Right now, I'm just using a wicked light setup and it works for some yote killing. I feel like the thermal is going to be a game changer though.

B23

WKR
I feel like the thermal is going to be a game changer though.
If nothing else, it'll sure be a lot of fun. Everyone I've talked to that's gone to a thermal has told me, once your past the learning curve and I'm sure there is one, using these things is a lot of fun. But when you're looking at spending 4500+ or even +++ by the time you add a scanner, they friggen better be a shit ton of fun!

I’ve been looking at the new Burris stuff, particularly the BTS 50, I’d love to hear how people have liked that one

IDMilton

FNG
My first thermal will be a Super Hogster. It should be delivered sometime this week depending on the post office. I am super excited and glad to read all these positive comments.

B23

WKR
My first thermal will be a Super Hogster. It should be delivered sometime this week depending on the post office. I am super excited and glad to read all these positive comments.
There's a guy over on predatormasters forum screen name is Kirsch. I've talked to Korey on the phone before and he's extremely nice and very helpful in answering questions about thermals especially Bering Optics thermals as I believe he's one of their guys so he really knows the ins and outs of their products. Korey has used a lot of different thermals so he gives great perspective about the different levels and costs.

He has his on youtube page and puts up lots of videos. I think he shoots somewhere around 200 coyotes during the winder months.

Yes, I'm in WA. I'm not really focused on a set budget, I mean I'd rather not spend 2k more on one if I can get near the same performance with a less expensive one. Right now I'm leaning pretty hard toward the Yoter model. I will add a scanner in the future, but I'm going to start with the scope. I may sell a couple guns sitting in the safe to pick up a scanner more quickly if I find just a scope to be a pain in the butt. Right now, I'm just using a wicked light setup and it works for some yote killing. I feel like the thermal is going to be a game changer though.
I tried it for 1 night with just the weapon sight. The next day I ordered a scanner. I personally would use a thermal to scan, with a weapon mounted light before I would put a thermal on the rifle without having a scanner again. It’s like big game hunting without binos. It honestly sucks.

I do believe the Yoter is a good sight for the price.

There's a guy over on predatormasters forum screen name is Kirsch. I've talked to Korey on the phone before and he's extremely nice and very helpful in answering questions about thermals especially Bering Optics thermals as I believe he's one of their guys so he really knows the ins and outs of their products. Korey has used a lot of different thermals so he gives great perspective about the different levels and costs.

He has his on youtube page and puts up lots of videos. I think he shoots somewhere around 200 coyotes during the winder months.
Korey is pro staff for a dealer. Not Bering. He is a big Bering fan though. He killed over 300 last year with the Super Hogster. The reason I value his opinions are because he obviously uses it a decent amount, and he is using it in the same conditions I do. What works in Texas might not work up here in ND.

Reactions: WCB

B23

WKR
Korey is pro staff for a dealer. Not Bering. He is a big Bering fan though. He killed over 300 last year with the Super Hogster. The reason I value his opinions are because he obviously uses it a decent amount, and he is using it in the same conditions I do. What works in Texas might not work up here in ND.
I wasn't sure but knew he was something to do with their products. Korey was very cool with me and spent wellllll over and hour answering every question I had.

My personal opinion is that it sucks hunting coyotes without a scanner. So I would factor that into the budget.
this so dead on, I tell everybody that's getting into the thermal game that you need a quality scanner because your eyes will be looking through the scanner 95% of the time and scope only 5%. IMO buy the best scanner you can afford even if it means buying a little cheaper scope.

I also talked to Korey before i purchased last year and he was great to deal with. I valued his opinions greatly just due to the fact that he hunts the same area I do & I wanted something that was reliable and worked good up here in the tundra

Last edited:
I have a couple Phenoms right now. I had one down to -32ish. It worked fine up to -28ish. After that it started to have problems if it was outside more than 15-20 minutes.

B23

WKR
When I talked to Korey he suggested, for us undecided types, to get a good scanner like the Bering Phenom 640 first and play with it then worry about picking out a thermal scope second.

Samson7x

WKR

You will likely be selling guns and ordering a scanner soon if you hunt at night much at all. Scanning with the scope sucks, and dangerous while hunting with others.

Looking into getting a thermal myself for predator and hog hunting both. Have found this thread very useful. Thanks you all for taking the time to put some info out there for us looking to research on

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Nmhybridhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve ran the agm rattler 25. It’s a decent thermal, actually really good for the price. Hopefully with al the competition in the market we will see prices come down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with others a good scanner is number 1. You can kill with a light or even less expensive NV on the gun. That said if you continue to do this you’ll find thermal on the gun and scanner is the way to go. I went for a season with a buddy where I had thermal/thermal and he had thermal scanner and NV with an IR booster. Some coyotes will spook at the red light and they will even spook at the IR light - after seeing several videos I took of this he switched to all thermal. Our numbers went up when we went both went all thermal and then when we both went to hands free thermal scanners on the helmets that was a real game changer. So much fun but yes it can get $$$.

YBPS

WKR
What about ATN products? Specifically their scopes. Any pros/cons on the Thor or Thor LT? What magnification do you actually use at night?