What to Cut From Pack?

Now that season is over I have been re-evaluating what's in my pack and trying to cut weight. This might also be a cool thread for anyone in this same boat to post their list to be evaluated.

At this point, I'm not sure what else I can for-go.

Here is my current day trip gear:

Kill Kit
Havalon Piranta w/ extra blades
K.O.A Bear Cub
(4) Zip Ties
(4) 48" Alaska Quarter Bags
50' Para Cord
4'X4' Sheet of plastic
Tags

First Aid/Survival
Small Waterproof Pouch
24" of Duct Tape
After Bite (Bug bites affect me like crazy)
Pill Bottle (Aleve and Oxycodone)
Eye Drops
Lighter
Flint/Steel
Fire Starting Sticks
JetScream Whistle
TP

Misc
Princeton Tec Remix Headlamp w/ extra batteries
Garmin Oregon GPS
Platypus 3L Bladder
Mountain Smith Trekkng Poles (if the spot is in a long ways)

Any Suggestions?

Ironman8

WKR
I doubt you'd be able to cut much weight from these categories. Most significant weight you'd be able to cut is usually from your pack, sleep system, and clothing.

Other than that, the only thing I can see doing is cutting the GPS and just using your phone (assuming you already take it with you). Maybe there's some alternative, lighter items that you could sub out for existing items?

lintond

WKR
What is your sleep system and clothes. Food also adds up if not done right.

What type of hunting do you do? How many days? Archery or later in the year?

OP
BackcountryMT
What is your sleep system and clothes. Food also adds up if not done right.

What type of hunting do you do? How many days? Archery or later in the year?

This is just for my day pack. This is for a typical day of elk hunting in September for elk. Typically I am wearing all of my clothes but will often time pack an additional soft shell vest or puffy jacket.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If weight is a concern, I would leave the cub bear, flint and steel. They are all redundant items you don't "need".

I would also switch the game bags out for tag bags myself. (assuming you're talking about the heavy alaska game bags)

jwb300

WKR
I would suggest that if you can't deal with that weight you should make sure you don't ever shoot anything. Those critters can weigh a bit and with carrying them out and all...

But seriously the only thing that seems to be not required is the sheet of plastic. Just use the cape to butcher on. Oh and try some lighter projectiles... that should shave a few grains off....;)

Edit to add - agree with what Justin said. I would just take a small bic lighter or two if you think you need it.

OP
BackcountryMT
If weight is a concern, I would leave the cub bear, flint and steel. They are all redundant items you don't "need".

I would also switch the game bags out for tag bags myself. (assuming you're talking about the heavy alaska game bags)

I was considering dropping the KOA, I do like using it for popping leg joints though.

I am using the cheesecloth type Alaska bags. I'll have to check out some weight on those.

Thanks guys!

OP
BackcountryMT
I would suggest that if you can't deal with that weight you should make sure you don't ever shoot anything. Those critters can weigh a bit and with carrying them out and all...

But seriously the only thing that seems to be not required is the sheet of plastic. Just use the cape to butcher on. Oh and try some lighter projectiles... that should shave a few grains off....;)

Edit to add - agree with what Justin said. I would just take a small bic lighter or two if you think you need it.

Duly noted;). I'm just nit picking at this point, I'm already super light. Mostly just looking for an excuse to buy more gear, lol.

jwb300

WKR
Yeah I know how you feel. I really think the amount of survival gear depends a lot on where you are going. There are a lot of nice things to take for survival but realistically most aren't required unless you are heading way out bush. I think you have a pretty good kit - just comes down to how many luxury items you want to take to make things more comfortable.

Like mentioned previously, I'm curious about the weight of the game bags. My guess is that a set of TAG bags would pack smaller and lighter.

Drop the KOA knife. The Havalon is all you need, especially if it takes the thicker 60a blades. When I first started using a Havalon I always carried another knife as a backup. After several years of never using the knife I decided to just leave it at home, as it was essentially dead weight.

Not that they weigh anything, but what do you use the zip ties for?

OP
BackcountryMT
Like mentioned previously, I'm curious about the weight of the game bags. My guess is that a set of TAG bags would pack smaller and lighter.

Drop the KOA knife. The Havalon is all you need, especially if it takes the thicker 60a blades. When I first started using a Havalon I always carried another knife as a backup. After several years of never using the knife I decided to just leave it at home, as it was essentially dead weight.

Not that they weigh anything, but what do you use the zip ties for?

I will have to weigh the TAG bags vs. the Alaskans tomorrow. I use the zip ties to attach the tag to the horns, hate using tape. I also like having zip ties for any needs to repair something.

Thats point on, I carry my base camp purifier as long as I KNOW I can get water back where Im hunting, if not Im carrying 2 liters.

Not enough reliable water in my area to make it work packing my filter for a day hunt.

charvey9

WKR
Looks like you are pretty much down to the bare minimums. Just a few tips if you aren't already using them.

Get rid of any cases that you don't need. Like the case for your Havalon. Just use some making tape to wrap the extra blades around the handle and you're good to go.

I also made use of this drinking straw tip for alot of the stuff in my first aid kit to cut down on the bulk of pill bottles, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiB9kUPRXZ4

Beastmode

WKR
I would say get a different headlamp that takes AQ batteries just like your GPS. Get rid of the flint and steel. And get rid of the 4x4 sheet of plastic. All in all you are already going pretty minimal.

BRWNBR

WKR
I agree on dropping the koa. Havalon work just fine for popping joints.
Cheese cloth game bags are gonna make a bloody mess in your pack. I would drop two cheese cloth bags and the plastic sheet, replace
It with one contractor bag to line the pack and hold meat. It's for a day trip.
Also go over your daypack, I have packs that probably have four to five feet of extra webbing on them. Fit your pack and trim what you don't need. There might be D-rings or other accessories on or in your pack you don't use as well. We are talking about dropping ounces, it all adds up.
Nothing weighs anything till you put with other stuff that weighs nothing, then it's heavy.

OP
BackcountryMT
Just an update for anyone interested. I picked up a Caribou Gear Carnivore II set of bags today and was able to weigh them against my older Alaskan Game Bags

Old Kill Kit: 1lb 0.4oz
Small OR pull-out
40ft 550-P Cord
Tags
Havalon Piranta
4 48" Alaskan Game Bags

New Kill Kit: 1lb 3.1oz
Small OR pull-out
40ft 550-P Cord
Tags
Havalon Piranta
5 Caribou Gear "bone-off" Bags

A few ounces heavier but a much better system IMHO.