What to do

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That isn’t correct and that belief is what scammers who use check schemes rely on. Banks will often give its clients provisional credit for all or a portion of a deposited check before it has actually cleared. That is why the scams where the fraudster asks the victim to send back a portion of the check proceeds to the scammer work. The victim sends available provisional funds to the scammer and then the entire amount of the check is pulled back by the bank once the check is returned by the maker bank, leaving the victim out those funds.

To the OP, ask for a cashier’s check or wire transfer for payment (*and wait for the cashier's check to clear before handing the keys to a transporter).

I do wonder what some of you guys who think this is 100% a scam think a legitimate transaction with someone from out of state would look like? Mt guess is a lot like this one is playing out.
You are correct, I'm confusing the fact that due to electronic check transmission I can see money leave my account almost instantly when I write a check with when I should expect a check to clear.

That said, if you varify the check has cleared through your bank, rather than just seeing money in your account, other than incorrect expectations it makes no difference. The key is too varify, not just wait a set amount of time.

CRJR45

WKR
You are correct, I'm confusing the fact that due to electronic check transmission I can see money leave my account almost instantly when I write a check with when I should expect a check to clear.

That said, if you varify the check has cleared through your bank, rather than just seeing money in your account, other than incorrect expectations it makes no difference. The key is too varify, not just wait a set amount of time.
I'm waiting for a check to clear now , $9000 , it has a twelve day hold on it . It's for a job I'm doing and from out of state . I've called and told the bank I know the person and I'm sure it's a good check , makes no difference , 12 days . It shows in my account as pending .

MattB

WKR
I'm waiting for a check to clear now , $9000 , it has a twelve day hold on it . It's for a job I'm doing and from out of state . I've called and told the bank I know the person and I'm sure it's a good check , makes no difference , 12 days . It shows in my account as pending .
The funny thing with that is the check will almost guaranteed clear the maker bank well before that. The 12 days is just your bank applying some arbitrary policy to your deposit.

CRJR45

WKR
The funny thing with that is the check will almost guaranteed clear the maker bank well before that. The 12 days is just your bank applying some arbitrary policy to your deposit.
Yes , they say it's to protect me , that the Credit Union it is from has a history of calling checks back . I talked to the sender , her bank said it cleared the day I deposited it . I'm sure it's all BS , they're making money off of it somehow , LOL

MattB

WKR
Yes , they say it's to protect me , that the Credit Union it is from has a history of calling checks back . I talked to the sender , her bank said it cleared the day I deposited it . I'm sure it's all BS , they're making money off of it somehow , LOL
It is not really to protect you. Banks may say that it protects you from OD fees if the check is returned, but it is more that it protects the bank from you potentially withdrawing provisional dollars and not paying them back. Plus the bank may get ~10 day’s free use of your money.

12 days seems unreasonably long, you might press them on it after 7 days if you need the funds.

CRJR45

WKR
It is not really to protect you. Banks may say that it protects you from OD fees if the check is returned, but it is more that it protects the bank from you potentially withdrawing provisional dollars and not paying them back. Plus the bank may get ~10 day’s free use of your money.

12 days seems unreasonably long, you might press them on it after 7 days if you need the funds.
It was 7 business days , weekend and holiday weekend made it twelve . Don't really need the funds , just have to start the job later . It's always something . I tried to get them to release it sooner , they were adamant , no dice.