What’s the best wild game meat?

I guess I would try seal, like you describe, if I had a chance. But I know I will not be trying any more seal oil on my raw caribou liver! Ever!
I could definately see how that wouldn't work out too well. The bottled stuff is trimmed in a way that there is just the right amount of fat. The fat is where all the flavor is so its understandable how pure oil would be overwhelming.

Black tail deer. Hands down the best meat in Alaska.
Moose is like a richer beef. It’s the staple at our house.
Swan is supposed to be fabulous.
Most of the birds are great.
Black bear and brownies are a great pork alternative. When it’s good it’s great. When they’ve been eating salmon or rotting meat they are just about inedible.

We eat a lot of moose and caribou in our house, probably 80% of everything we eat because it’s a sure thing every year. We have red/king/silver salmon, halibut, rockfish, black bass, and rainbow trout for the rest. My buddy just got a boat though so I’m planning on plenty of black tail this year.

Dall Sheep on the mountain
velvet/early season mule deer
antelope
Nilgai
Caribou
Moose
Elk
Red Stag

Probably... I'm landlocked. and possibly confused. Regardless, they are delicious.
Yellow tail is a white meat while yellow fin is more on the red side. First yellow tail I caught, I made the mistake of asking how to prepare tuna, I was informed about the difference in no uncertain terms.

Yellow tail is a white meat while yellow fin is more on the red side. First yellow tail I caught, I made the mistake of asking how to prepare tuna, I was informed about the difference in no uncertain terms.
Yellowfin sashimi straight out of the ocean is fantastic. But I like the white meat yellowtail the best. Really any of the freshly caught ocean fish would probably top elk... but it is much easier to keep the freezer full of elk...

Yellowtail is pretty high on the list. But I'd eat spot prawns every day if I could.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back