What's the most fun a guy can have with $20,000

OP
F

fittohunt

FNG
Argentina, Water buffalo, boar , red stag, black buck,fallow and axis looks pretty good for a bowhunting trip. Not to mention wing shooting.fishing.
Now you're talking! Argentina and Africa are both sounding like good options.

prm

WKR
For $20k you could spend a lot of time in S. Africa, see thousands of animals and kill many. Go with a couple good friends and it will be a great trip. I have a name for an outfitter that will put you on good game, and make the hunt what you want. You’ll see countless animals every day and spend nights around the campfire with the drinks of your choice. If you just plan on taking great pics and having them framed vice taxidermy, you’ll be able to shoot quite a few animals. Just depends on what you choose.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
I hate those undeserved youth hunts.

Screws everything up for the deserving adults coming in a week later.
Hunter recruitment is a funny thing.

I have 4 daughters and no one is interested in hunting. We have been, they have all said, yes I am glad I went but they are not interested in going again.

Taking inner city kids or kids without dads, or whatever on expensive hunts does nothing for the kids. It exposes them, but most of the people I know who had this opportunity did not go on to become hunters as adults. I knew of a kid that party hunted a bighorn on a tag that belonged to his cousin. The cousin still hunts, the kid that shot a bighorn on his cousins ticket does not. I also know quite a few kids who have gone on big safaris or Texas exotic hunts and other things and did not go on to become hunters. In most cases it was a donation and they were not hunting with an established family member that hunted.

I have a gay cousin that shot 8 or 10 animals at 14 to 17 to stop hunting forever.

In my own opinion for whatever that is worth, I think exposure at a young age and continued exposure as young adults with family members is the only way to insure that someone will go onto hunt. You start at the bottom of the mountain, and you work your way up. Only you will determine if you continue to hunt or not.

One of the outdoor clothing companies had a guy that had never hunted win a dall sheep hunt at a raffle. A dall sheep was his first big game animal. I don't know how his story went. He had no foundation in hunting. He shot one of the pinnacles of North American hunting as his first animal. He probably makes $50,000 a year. He isn't hunting another sheep unless he got lucky in Idaho and drew a resident tag. Maybe he will do that.

I am not paying for hunter recruitment. For undeserved youth, undeserved adults or anyone else.

If you wan to get into it pay your own way.

If it was my $20,000 and I wanted to stretch it pretty hard I'd take the entire family to Australia or New Zealand for a month and bowhunt free range.

If your family is like mine, and they don't hunt. I wouldn't involve them in the process it will just result in tears and fights. Spend $8000 on yourself and $12,000 on a family vacation.

Next year I am hunting capercailie in Austria, chamois in Austria and Slovenia and doing another African safari. Wife and kids are going to summer camp in the USA. Price split for all that stuff is the same.

OP
F

fittohunt

FNG
Hunter recruitment is a funny thing.

I have 4 daughters and no one is interested in hunting. We have been, they have all said, yes I am glad I went but they are not interested in going again.

Taking inner city kids or kids without dads, or whatever on expensive hunts does nothing for the kids. It exposes them, but most of the people I know who had this opportunity did not go on to become hunters as adults. I knew of a kid that party hunted a bighorn on a tag that belonged to his cousin. The cousin still hunts, the kid that shot a bighorn on his cousins ticket does not. I also know quite a few kids who have gone on big safaris or Texas exotic hunts and other things and did not go on to become hunters. In most cases it was a donation and they were not hunting with an established family member that hunted.

I have a gay cousin that shot 8 or 10 animals at 14 to 17 to stop hunting forever.

In my own opinion for whatever that is worth, I think exposure at a young age and continued exposure as young adults with family members is the only way to insure that someone will go onto hunt. You start at the bottom of the mountain, and you work your way up. Only you will determine if you continue to hunt or not.

One of the outdoor clothing companies had a guy that had never hunted win a dall sheep hunt at a raffle. A dall sheep was his first big game animal. I don't know how his story went. He had no foundation in hunting. He shot one of the pinnacles of North American hunting as his first animal. He probably makes $50,000 a year. He isn't hunting another sheep unless he got lucky in Idaho and drew a resident tag. Maybe he will do that.

I am not paying for hunter recruitment. For undeserved youth, undeserved adults or anyone else.

If you wan to get into it pay your own way.

If it was my $20,000 and I wanted to stretch it pretty hard I'd take the entire family to Australia or New Zealand for a month and bowhunt free range.

If your family is like mine, and they don't hunt. I wouldn't involve them in the process it will just result in tears and fights. Spend $8000 on yourself and $12,000 on a family vacation.

Next year I am hunting capercailie in Austria, chamois in Austria and Slovenia and doing another African safari. Wife and kids are going to summer camp in the USA. Price split for all that stuff is the same.
Yes, I need to learn more about free range in NZ. I've heard very different things about it. From awesome to pure garbage. Not sure how feasible it is to have an epic hunt free range with little to no guidance.

Guys have quoted some costs for shipping back from Africa. I'll just say my friend payed nearly $7,000.00 to have his 8 animals processed and shipped to the states last week.
I was at our taxidermist the other day and he commented the total bill for the mounts was likely to be up to $20,000.00.
I'm sure Africa is a great adventure, just make sure the animals available are really what you want.
I've done Africa before and when I go again I'll just leave the horns there and skip shipping them back. I'll do a photo album for $20 and call it good.

Mojave

WKR
I am fond of the skull mounts. The only thing I wouldn't skull mount are things like zebra, hyena, civets, jackels. Flat skin with felt. Skull mount and bleach the rest.

Mojave

WKR
Id be investing and waiting a few more years until I could do a Marco Polo sheep hunt....
You are putting that hunt on the pinnacle. It is near PHD Level education in bullchitna. I have several friends that have done it. One of them spent a week in a Tajik jail cell.

Yoder

WKR
I would go to Peru for an Ayahuasca retreat or get a stem cell treatment for my shoulder in Panama.

WCB

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I never considered Europe or Greenland, I'll look into that a little more. My wife and I have often talked about a long family vaction in New Zealand. Bring the kids, rent an RV, and squeeze in a couple hunts for me. Although, based on my research 20k is probably not enough to do it "right".
Depends on what you want to kill in NZ. If you want a big Stag it is going to be high fenced. You can do a wilderness fly in (helicopter) free range Tahr and Chamois combo hunt for around 13,000 which would leave room for flight and trophy shipping. I can't recommend NZ enough. Wife and I went there the year before we were married. I killed a Bull Tahr (free range on foot hunt) she killed her Chamois on a Helicopter fly in spike camp hunt. We both killed Arapawa rams (high fence). 100% would do and plan to go again. The people are great and country is great. Now if you want to bring the kids and wife and include the vacation part into the budget be impossible to do the hunting part right.

Africa is awesome and you could really score price wise by buying a hunt at a conservation auction. I've seen a ton of 5-6 day hunts with 3-4 animals included along with cost for a non-hunter (wife) covered go for $around $2500. So depending on the animals in the package you are already $2000-$3000 ahead.

I looked at Europe and the animals interested me the hunting and cost doesn't. Whatever the hunt price is add 14-24% depending on country for a VAT tax.

You could go to Kodiak and Kill a goat or even two and have money left over for some fishing or sea duck hunting.
Best answer.
eh....there is a lot of the world to see and I'm guessing if he is looking to spend $20,000 he will be ok doing in the states hunts. I get there is a lot of this country to see and hunt but just like some are the "what's over the next ridge" types....some of us are that plus "what else is there beyond the ridges and oceans" types.

Fowl Play

WKR
I’d be doing a cast in blast in South America OR looking into the small ship cruises/mothership operations in Alaska. Can tag on any number of hunts/ fishing trips to these and make for an amazing trip.