Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Esbit (any type)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Alcohal stove (any type)

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like this JB flux ring issue is with the Sol and Sol TI models? I had one of their older PCS models, and now the Flash model.

8Crow

Lil-Rokslider
Had a pocket rocket which worked fine, but moving to the Jetboil Sol there is just no comparison. Everything packs tightly into the pot, no rattling, insulator & handle allows you to pick the pot up to pour, and it boils so fast...saves you time and fuel.

desertcj

WKR
I voted alcohol stove. Cost of the stove was free, AL cans. You can't beat the weight or size and whenever I'm cooking(After dark), I'm relaxing and I don't care if it takes 5 minutes for me to boil water when you can do it in 2. I have a MSR whisperlight and I like it, but it has some downsides. It's not huge, but it also isn't super compact. Everytime I use it, I have to drain the gas out of the hose and wait for it to evaporate off before I load it in my pack. Not a game killer, just an inconvenience. It does burn forever on 20oz of fuel though! I imagine I could pull off a 10 day trip on 20oz of gasoline.

Craig4791

WKR
I like my Jetboil Sol however I wish I had a stove that used a normal cup so I can use it on a wood stove when I have a stove setup. To bad Jetboil doesn't make an adapter of some sort to keep you drink warm or even cook on a wood stove.

Thinking about some type of MSR to fix this problem.

I've cooked a few times with the jb Flash cup on a wood stove. Worked fine just takes a bit longer.

voted msr pocket rocket... although i use a micro rocket. really have no need for any other, it has never failed and does whats needed. i cant imagine going any smaller but really have no need for larger. if i ever loose it or it breaks ill probly just buy another.....

Akshphntr

FNG
I used a whisper light for many years. Amazing stoves! A few years ago I switched to jet boil and can't stop using them. I had problems with mine in cold weather but now have a sol which may work better. The jet boils are so quick, convenient and clean.

desertcj

WKR
Have you tried using the AL bottles instead of cans. The bottles are much better IMO.

I've seen them. It's a bit more complicated to make them(Need a press), but they seem nice. I don't see a AL bottle stove being smaller then what I have now though. It's about the size of a chew can...

I have a Primus Omnifuel (takes white gas, diesel, jet fuel, kerosene and iso/butane canisters. I also have a Jet Boil Sol (aluminum) and the Sol Sumo in titanium.

I voted jet boil but only use mine when I just need to boil water for hot coffee (stand hunting) or for mountain house meals.

If I'm guiding a backpacking trip, or winter camping where i need to boil snow, I take the Primus with white gas. This gives me the ability to cook for the group and boil large qualities of water at a time.

Regarding Jet boils melting: Other then Aron melting his fins after more then the average person's use. Jet boils (especially the titanium versions) were not meant for snow melting. The manual specifically mentions this and to also not use a wind screen.

Jet boils are great for what they are made for (boiling water quickly with a lightweight package). They are not meant for expedition use with lots of snow melting and gourmet cooking.

JeremiahH

WKR
I've seen them. It's a bit more complicated to make them(Need a press), but they seem nice. I don't see a AL bottle stove being smaller then what I have now though. It's about the size of a chew can...

I used a bottle jack and kitchen cabinet to make my bottle model. A bench vice with 1" wood on both sides would work well I would think. I have a can model as well but find you cannot put the pot directly on it or it snuffs out. The bottle model I use is made to have the pot directly on it, alleviating needing additional stand. Double tough compared to can model too.

desertcj

WKR
I used a bottle jack and kitchen cabinet to make my bottle model. A bench vice with 1" wood on both sides would work well I would think. I have a can model as well but find you cannot put the pot directly on it or it snuffs out. The bottle model I use is made to have the pot directly on it, alleviating needing additional stand. Double tough compared to can model too.

Ya, I know what you're talking about. I plan on making one as soon as I can find a couple of the AL bottles.

eyetat

FNG
It has been many years since camping my question is what ever happened to safe heat or sterno . The small can of jell with a wick. At 9 1/4 oz and six hour burn time. Three of them fit into a mag pouch heat and heating for a four day fall hunt . Just saying.

JeremiahH

WKR
Ya, I know what you're talking about. I plan on making one as soon as I can find a couple of the AL bottles.

Just fyi I've seen them on ebay for under $10. I would have done this first if I would have known. It's a lot of effort and time, acquiring proper tools etc. this way you can see if you like them and compare port sizes for efficiency before spending a bunch of time. I used 1\16" bit but still have yet to try other diameters.