What’s your ideal hunting truck?

I got mine. Nissan frontier with a mid rise cap. Pro4x has the electronic locking rear differential and I have chains for all 4 wheels. I don't tow anything. All I need is a winch. My gear and I fit in many places my full sized friends can't go.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have a 2011 toyota tundra with a leer topper. It's my everyday driver and hunting rig. It's not real fancy but neither am I. It does everything I need and more, when the day comes to replace it I will buy another tundra.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Just curious, why the 34’s on the 4Runner? I’ve got a 21 4Runner and for me it’s pretty much the ideal hunting rig. I hunt by myself, so being able to easily sleep in my rig is a must. A factory non lifted 4Runner with BFG’s or other good all terrain tire, will get me anywhere I need to go off road in pursuit of game, with OK gas mileage. It’s reliable so I’m not worried about it breaking down somewhere outside of Yaak, Montana lol.
If I had a pickup truck, I’d 100% get one of those clamshell campers like the Gofast Camper or AT Overland. You have standing room to get dressed in the mornings, a comfy bed and plenty of storage and it all stows away in just a few seconds. That would be hard to beat for the traveling hunter like me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're set on those three options, I'd probably go with option 3.
On the other hand if you're willing to drop some cash on a new F250, new camper shell, new decked system, and probably some larger tires; I'd say that $75-100k could be better spent on a used LC or LX and a few mods.
If I were spending that amount of money the direction id go would be a Land Cruiser/ LX/GX with a size larger factory tire, winch, maybe suspension, and sleep system in or on top. That would be the ultimate "hunting rig" for me.
I had a '98 4runner for a long time and it was a great vehicle to hunt out of, wish I still had it.

My crew cab 1/2 ton short box with a tonnue cover has been a great configuration for me as a hunting truck/ every day driver. If I was doing any real work or pulling anything I would go with a 3/4 ton crew with a 7 ft bed. The 1/2 ton shorty fits in my garage and is easy to maneuver in town. I used to drive full size SUVs but after switching to the pickup I will not go back to the SUV.
I most haul coolers and hunting and fishing gear as well as a yak. I only tow a small utility trailer with a atv on it. Its comfortable to drive on trips which for an old guy its important to be in good shape after a 9-12 hr trip to hunt and fish.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My Ideal Setup. Which is what I did =)

Attachments

• 69194649495__FDB4AC1B-AB41-4D8F-8D33-C057FB3134BE.JPEG
    69194649495__FDB4AC1B-AB41-4D8F-8D33-C057FB3134BE.JPEG
    364.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2576.JPEG
    IMG_2576.JPEG
    252.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2581 - Copy.JPEG
    IMG_2581 - Copy.JPEG
    287.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2924.JPEG
    IMG_2924.JPEG
    269 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2927.JPEG
    IMG_2927.JPEG
    342.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2929.JPEG
    IMG_2929.JPEG
    296.4 KB · Views: 192
The diesels aren’t what they used to be with all the emissions crap. Unless you are pulling heavy loads, I don’t know why you would own one?

I am not a ford fan, but would go with a half ton or an SUV, maybe an exped?

Geewhiz

WKR
I only hunt in my home state so although i do consider it reliable, it is over 20 years old and does have a few miles on I. I’ll tell you what my ideal hunting truck is not, and that’s your stereotypical Toyota Tacoma loaded down with a roof top tent, traction boards, high lift jack and shovels that have clearly never been used, and so much other crap it looks ridiculous. I’m not sure why people put so much money into a “hunting truck” that you feel bad rallying around in the mountains with that you wouldn’t want to put a scratch on.

My ideal hunting truck is the truck that will get me where I need to go, and back home, and it’s whatever I happen to have at the time. Right now it’s a 2002 f150 supercrew. I’ve had if for a few years not and have really come to like it for beating around the hills. Never would I buy a new truck and call it my “hunting truck”. But to each his own.

Weldor

WKR
I agree with Boarmaster, I take my Mega cab diesel on long hauls out of state on hunting trips and the extra room and comfort are a must for me. I haul my can am to get where I need to go off road. If I hunt local 2013 JKU with winch does the trick.

Marshfly

WKR
There is a lot to be said for the comfort of a full size truck. I don’t know how guys can be comfortable in the seats of a Tacoma or 4Runner for more than a quick trip around town.

I’m a pretty average 5’9” 190# guy and they feel like toy car seats.

Also, scratches. You will get pinstriping on the truck, no matter the size. White and silver hide them the best.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A 3/4 or 1 ton diesel (or gas) is fine for hauling and towing, but there are a bunch of places I can't get mine. A smaller 4x4 is great for 4-wheeling and getting into tight spaces and really rough stuff, but not great for hauling or towing. Sometimes you need two trucks for the job......or the hauler and an ATV.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
Just curious, why the 34’s on the 4Runner? I’ve got a 21 4Runner and for me it’s pretty much the ideal hunting rig. I hunt by myself, so being able to easily sleep in my rig is a must. A factory non lifted 4Runner with BFG’s or other good all terrain tire, will get me anywhere I need to go off road in pursuit of game, with OK gas mileage. It’s reliable so I’m not worried about it breaking down somewhere outside of Yaak, Montana lol.
If I had a pickup truck, I’d 100% get one of those clamshell campers like the Gofast Camper or AT Overland. You have standing room to get dressed in the mornings, a comfy bed and plenty of storage and it all stows away in just a few seconds. That would be hard to beat for the traveling hunter like me!

I joined my local 4x4 club years ago, so this 4Runner was built for off-roading in an attempt to keep up with my Jeep buddies on 37’s. IMO, 34’s are the sweet spot on a 5th Gen with 4.56 gears. We just had a baby, so we don’t off-road as much these days, and I’m leaning into hunting a lot more. I figured a truck would make more sense. I agree, the 4Runner is a great vehicle for getting me places (I can deal with the 12MPG), but my thought process was, if I can get a full size truck with a bed that also gets better MPG, that would be ideal. And a bed to haul around carcasses and hopefully one day, a 300+ Elk rack would be great. Throwing a pig carcass (for example) into the back of my 4Runner wouldn’t be ideal. My main hunting trip every year is in Colorado, but live in California (unfortunately), so making that drive with a prized Elk rack on my roof rack isn’t ideal either… a truck just made more sense.

After reading through all of these suggestions though, I may be more undecided than I was before. Lots to consider.

I’ve been in the market for a new truck for about 3 years now. I’m about settled on a F250 gas. I do pull trailers but not on a weekly basis so I do want the extra power and towing capacity when I do. I never drive into tight spots in the mountains or do excessive 4X4 driving. I view 4 wheel drive as a tool to get me out when things turn sloppy, not get me in. I’m also in the market for a small bumper pull toy hauler to take the family camping and early season hunts. I don’t use camper shells because I need the bed of my truck to haul all kinds of stuff with easy access to it. My ideal cover is a diamond hard cover that folds. The decked systems are cool but I still prefer to utilize the full depth of the truck bed.

Right now, I have an old 2004 Chevy 1500 that I keep throwing money at to keep it going. It’s a gutless wonder when it comes to towing anything. Hopefully, I’m done with repairs for a while and plan on keeping it running for a daily driver and use the newer truck for towing, camping, and hunting trips.