Where do you practice bugling

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting early this year learning as much as I can about elk before heading out for my first archery elk season this year. I've hunted rifle for elk a couple seasons but wanted up expand my options as well as my opportunities at frustration so why not give archery a shot right?

Anyways I have been practicing with a diaphragm call in the truck and have gotten ok (in my opinion) with cow calls and picked up a bugle tube today. My wife and son were amused for a few minutes and our aussie pup enjoyed singing along, but I got to thinking, where does everyone practice bugeling? Garage, truck, living room, maybe replace the home alarm clocks with a 0 dark 30 practice session?

You will find out quickly that your significant other does not appreciate calling.

I use to practice my calling (elk turkey waterfowl) while driving to and from work. This past year I’ve been WFH and my girlfriend has still been going into work so the house is mine during the day and I get some calling practice in

I am fortunate that the wife hunts and practices calls too. With that said, I don’t over do it at the house because the dogs get too wound up.
The commute to and from work is where I practice quite a bit.
With a new reed or tube I may want to try, I feel it’s very important to be outside to listen to what it sounds like echoing off in the distance. I live in the mountains so I’ll pull over in any wide spot on my way to or from work and let her rip.
If it reasonable hours I have tried new reeds out in the yard but I have good neighbors. Once the neighbor 2 houses down bugled back lol

FlyGuy

WKR
Trust me on this one - Nobody wants to hear that shit in the house. They’ll think it’s cute for the 1st :90 seconds and then they are over it.

Keep it on your truck. That’s about the only place. Q-up the ElkNut app and get after it.

Every time you get in the truck (alone) make at least one bugle. Do that from now until September and you’ll probably be ok even if you don’t drive into work anymore.

Last season I wasn’t driving very much at all and I neglected this, but I was able lucky enough to polish up all my call sounds on the 18 hour drive up to Colorado.

Everything I’ve said here applies universally to duck and goose and turkey and coyote call practice. Except the family’s patience for your practicing inside the house drops down to about :10 seconds max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmav58

WKR
On the way to work in my pickup. It's about the only place I can really cut loose and it's 15 minutes everyday of constant practice.

I spend a lot of windshield time each day, and started listening to podcasts and imitating the calls I heard, then I got the Elk Nut app and started using it while driving around. The bugling tube is used when I am out in the middle of nowhere, again mimicking what I hear on the App.
Like others had said, it seems fun in the house, it lasts about 10 min!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't practice much, I've never been a "practice" guy for much of anything. I'm more of a "game day" type of guy. My sports coaches hated that about me........until game day. But when I do bugle in the offseason, I'll light it up in the house or the back yard.

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of practicing outside in the mountains to hear what it'll actually sound like where I will be hunting. Ill probably pack it along with me when I go out on hikes, my son will probably get a kick out of it too. Who knows with any luck I might get him into it and have myself a hunting partner in a couple of years.

I will look into the Elknut app. I generally try and avoid spending $ on things like that as I think oftentimes I can find the information for free else where but if it is worthwhile I'm more than willing to spend a little $ investing in something that will make me a better hunter. I've also considered the Elk 101 program as well.

FlyGuy

WKR
I like the idea of practicing outside in the mountains to hear what it'll actually sound like where I will be hunting. Ill probably pack it along with me when I go out on hikes, my son will probably get a kick out of it too. Who knows with any luck I might get him into it and have myself a hunting partner in a couple of years.

I will look into the Elknut app. I generally try and avoid spending $ on things like that as I think oftentimes I can find the information for free else where but if it is worthwhile I'm more than willing to spend a little $ investing in something that will make me a better hunter. I've also considered the Elk 101 program as well.

It’s worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
after close to 4 decades of elk calling don’t practice much anymore but when I do I like a good audience🤙And solid echo...used to drive the wife of 38 yrs cray bugling in the rig back in the 80z😂

Attachments

• D876360D-E1D5-4A8C-AE7A-3B8856E984C3.jpeg
    D876360D-E1D5-4A8C-AE7A-3B8856E984C3.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 59

Eli80

FNG
I doubt it will apply this year but go bugle at elk when you aren’t hunting sometime. The rut was late for us this last year and we had bugling through mid October. Was scouting for my sons cow hunt and got a couple bulls sounding off. It was fun to be in a situation where we could just learn and enjoy the moment without the pressure or fear of screwing anything up. Some we scared away, some came in. Spending a day trying to mirror whatever noise they made really helped my calling. Good luck on your hunt.

The ElkNut app is worth the $10. I’m definitely in the camp that calls don’t have to be perfect as long as they are saying the right things (of course they can’t be bad, they just don’t have to be perfect). Everyone knows how awkward it is to hear or experience the “good morning”... “I’m doing good” exchange. Elk think it’s weird to.

to the actual question- in the truck, or while fishing/scouting. Kids think the first 3 are awesome. After that everyone around is just annoyed.