Where to spend $$ and where to save $$?

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Also the best time of year to buy this gear is after the seasons are over. Last year around Feb first lite was 30-40% off, you should find similar deals on all the other brands.

ljalberta

WKR
Hi Ijalberta, do you know if Costco still sells the merino LS and down jacket? I just checked the website and did not see them

I've never personally seen them online, but they are a seasonal item every year in store for at least the past 4 or 5 years. Currently my store has the Down jackets in and the 100% merino usually comes later in the fall.

aaro9991

FNG
Save up for a big Agnes encampment 15 sleeping bag. A pretty decent deal for the quality. Do not skimp on a bag. I’ve hunted Colorado a few years now and can tell you that this is something you need to invest in.

As others have said for your power bank, don’t spend that kind of money for a battery pack. I also got one from amazon for 30 bucks that gives my iPhone 7 full charges before it runs out of juice.

For a shelter, I would be very patient but again big Agnes makes quality gear for the buck compared to Kifaru, etc. I just bought a big Agnes fly creek tent with the mtnglo lighting inside for 150 so the deals are out there for shelters, but you must be PATIENT for them. It took me a few months to find that one.

Again being from Colorado and hunting aggressively in the fall, I do not recommend going crazy on a puffy unless you get cold easily. I suggest what others have said and go Costco or something cheap. I personally use under Armour which I know a lot of guys here don’t like but it’s held up well for me and their jackets are plenty warm for those cold September mornings.

I can’t remember off the top of my head about your footwear but you must invest in a good pair of boots as well. I personally found a great deal on Danner east ridge last year for 150 and they are beast. Again I know a lot of guys like lowa or scarpa and I do as well but for a budget setup, the east ridge danner’s are tough and very comfortable in my unprofessional opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeRange

WKR
The lightest, cheapest cook set I've ever seen or used, and it's all I use for a larger cook pot to this day is the "Walmart grease pot" do a search on some backpacker forums as it's talked about a lot. I have one that is so incredibly beat up and dented from years of use it's hardly recognizable. But it works great and you will not find a TI pot that's lighter for the size, guaranteed.

And the cheap ultralight canister stoves off amazon for ~$15 are great, just don't rely on the igniter to last forever. They weigh just over 1 oz pretty sure.

CX5Ranch

WKR
They beat me to it.

I would drop the hiking poles too. If really needed then build some.

Also I knew a guy that boiled water with a plumbers propane torch.

Whitey tighteys work good for me and don't cost 40 bucks.

I'd never pay 70 bucks for a tarp. Those blue ones at tractor supply are like 7 bucks. I used to take one and use 550 cord stretched tight to make the ridge.

Drop the 100 dollar charger. If honestly needed take a cheap one. One of the reasons I go elk hunting is to shut the stupid phone off for two weeks!

The best thing you can do is go camping this fall on a chilly night and see how tough you are lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Save up for a big Agnes encampment 15 sleeping bag. A pretty decent deal for the quality. Do not skimp on a bag. I’ve hunted Colorado a few years now and can tell you that this is something you need to invest in.

As others have said for your power bank, don’t spend that kind of money for a battery pack. I also got one from amazon for 30 bucks that gives my iPhone 7 full charges before it runs out of juice.

For a shelter, I would be very patient but again big Agnes makes quality gear for the buck compared to Kifaru, etc. I just bought a big Agnes fly creek tent with the mtnglo lighting inside for 150 so the deals are out there for shelters, but you must be PATIENT for them. It took me a few months to find that one.

Again being from Colorado and hunting aggressively in the fall, I do not recommend going crazy on a puffy unless you get cold easily. I suggest what others have said and go Costco or something cheap. I personally use under Armour which I know a lot of guys here don’t like but it’s held up well for me and their jackets are plenty warm for those cold September mornings.

I can’t remember off the top of my head about your footwear but you must invest in a good pair of boots as well. I personally found a great deal on Danner east ridge last year for 150 and they are beast. Again I know a lot of guys like lowa or scarpa and I do as well but for a budget setup, the east ridge danner’s are tough and very comfortable in my unprofessional opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent the bulk of my budget on pack and boots. I’m running an Exo 3500 and Lowa Ticam II’s. I appreciate your other input, and will check out that sleeping bag

Owenst7

WKR
So with a pretty tight budget, I want to make sure I don’t miss anything necessary for a backpack trip while keeping cost a bit low. I have a few decisions to make on gear and could use some help deciding whether or not I should go with this list or spend more money on one item and less on another. Here is everything I have left to buy and what I plan on spending:

Base layer shirt-FL Wick $80
Any athletic decent athletic shirt should run about $20, maybe $30. The short sleeve Costco ones I wear everyday at work are like $3/ea. The Terramar wool/polyester ones I snowboard in were like $25 at STP.
Merino Boxers-Woolly Co $30
I wear "expensive" $10/pair Starter boxers from WalMart. I'm tired of merino boxers getting holes the first time I wear them. These fit better anyway.
Puffy- Slumberjack $100
$30 Costco Gerry jacket is going strong on year two as my backpacking puffy and daily driver around town in the winter.
Rain Jacket-Slumberjack $150
$40 Marmot Precip/Sportsman's/North Face/etc. PTFE laminated nylon is PTFE laminated nylon. Just get something that fits comfortably, has a good hood shape, and had good zippers. There are tons out there.
Gaiters- OR $40
Stove-Camp Chef $70
$30 Kovea Supalite is 1.9 ounces and used by a lot of through-hikers. A stove is a stove. The BRS gets good reviews, but I prefer the wider flame pattern since I do a little bit of actual cooking. Kovea makes the Snowpeak stoves...the Supalite is the same stove as the Snowpeak Litemax, but $30 cheaper.
Tarp-DD 3x3 $70
Not sure what that is. I really like my Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter. You can get them on sale for $80.
Sleeping bag-Slumberjack $60
Sound's fishy for the price. I am very reluctant to mess with cheap sleeping bags when you might see cold temps. I bought a -5F Marmot mountaineering bag with goretex shell for $70 used on eBay. REI has some good value products. I own a Kelty Cosmic as a spare bag and they're a great value around $100 on sale.
Trekking poles-Kelty $40
Battery Pack-Anker $100
Zendure makes the highest quality product on the market and their stupid large A8 isn't even $100. The A1 is all I usually carry on ~5 day trips, even using my phone for lots of pictures.

I will be hunting Colorado archery season, most likely Sep 10-20, if that makes a difference in opinion for y’all. I appreciate any feedback you may have in regards to quality of this gear or experiences you have.

See answers under your list above.

Last edited:
OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Re-prioritized and got the new list and cost

Base layer shirt-Black Ovis 1/4 zip $48 (bought on camofire last week)
Puffy- Walmart special $30
Rain Jacket-Frogg Togg $35
Gaiters- OR $25 (used off rokslide)
Stove-Camp Chef $60
Tarp-Mountainsmith LT $98
Sleeping bag-REI coop $100
Trekking poles-Cascade Mountain $25
Battery Pack-Anker $50

Saved a good bit of money and put a bit more towards what you guys recommended. Thanks for all the input!

So with a pretty tight budget, I want to make sure I don’t miss anything necessary for a backpack trip while keeping cost a bit low. I have a few decisions to make on gear and could use some help deciding whether or not I should go with this list or spend more money on one item and less on another. Here is everything I have left to buy and what I plan on spending:

Base layer shirt-FL Wick $80
Puffy- Slumberjack $100
Rain Jacket-Slumberjack $150
Gaiters- OR $40
Stove-Camp Chef $70
Tarp-DD 3x3 $70
Sleeping bag-Slumberjack $60
Trekking poles-Kelty $40
Battery Pack-Anker $100

I will be hunting Colorado archery season, most likely Sep 10-20, if that makes a difference in opinion for y’all. I appreciate any feedback you may have in regards to quality of this gear or experiences you have.

My goodness man, I could cut that to a fraction of what you have listed.

Wicking baselayer shirt can be bought off ebay for $10 That saves $70.
Puffy. $20 from walmart. And, it is a good one. I like it better then my browning and my Kryptek. That saves $80
Rain Jacket. USGI Gen III layer 7 Goretex coat costs $45 on ebay. That saves $100.
I'd do tyvek piece for the tarp. $10. That saves $60
I could get the trekking poles about $5 cheaper. Costco brand.
I bought the Anker battery pack off ebay for $20 delivered.

I'd throw in a Walmart puffy vest for $18. Those puffy jackets and vest are very warm and, are very light and packable. I'd buy the KUIU Yukon gaiters. Subtract $50 to the over $320 saved. This gear works and works very well so the only compromise you are going to make is the cool price tag and nifty gear name attached to them.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
My goodness man, I could cut that to a fraction of what you have listed.

Wicking baselayer shirt can be bought off ebay for $10 That saves $70.
Puffy. $20 from walmart. And, it is a good one. I like it better then my browning and my Kryptek. That saves $80
Rain Jacket. USGI Gen III layer 7 Goretex coat costs $45 on ebay. That saves $100.
I'd do tyvek piece for the tarp. $10. That saves $60
I could get the trekking poles about $5 cheaper. Costco brand.
I bought the Anker battery pack off ebay for $20 delivered.

I'd throw in a Walmart puffy vest for $18. Those puffy jackets and vest are very warm and, are very light and packable. I'd buy the KUIU Yukon gaiters. Subtract $50 to the over $320 saved. This gear works and works very well so the only compromise you are going to make is the cool price tag and nifty gear name attached to them.

Check my last post

If you have time and are on a budget I would definitely wait and pick things up as they are on sale!

Here's my thoughts though:

Base layer: Costco 100% merino long sleeve $20.
Boxers: Exo Officio on sale $20ish?
Puffy: Costco down Jacket - $35
- Bring a puffy! Don't be the guy who freezes at night or during an early winter storm because they weren't prepared. My wife and I got 2 feet on snow dumped on us this year on July 2nd, hiking over a mountain pass. It can snow anytime, anywhere in the mountains.
Gaiters: Looks good! Keep an eye out for sales on the OR stuff. It's quite common.
Stove: Plenty of cheap options out there on Amazon or even some major retailers like REI. You should be able to get a set under $70.
Tarp: never heard of the one you have listed. Is it your full shelter?
Sleeping bag: Here's the area I wouldn't skimp on! Get a good bag and pad that will keep you warm! I'd guess at least an R value of 4 for a pad for that season! Although I've never hunted Colorado myself.
Trekking Poles: Costco Cascade Mountain. These are the best value poles in my books! 35$ish
Anker battery pack: These are only $30-$55 on Amazon depending on the model.
Rain gear: Marmot Precip on sale. Can be regularly had for between 30-50% off.

These are my thoughts based only on my experience hunting Alberta during this time.

Excellent advice here and saved me typing it!!! A couple of comments follow:
The Costco Paradox zip-neck long sleeve base layer referenced is a Merino and poly blend that is treated (anti-microbial), wears very well, dries a lot faster than straight Merino etc. Love it and the long-johns. Not camo but doen’t matter.

The Costco down coats and vests are an excellent packable puffy. Really like them. My coat from last year doesn’t have a hood, but my wife picked up anew one a few days ago, and it is hooded, which is desirable in my opinion.

One word of caution, Costco stocks their winter stuff right now, buy it when they have it in the fall or wait a year for it. Same with ordering on line, only can get the stuff seasonally.

The Cascade Mt hiking poles are great, but was told by Costco people in a BC store that they were being sold on sale for $20 because they wouldn’t be stocked again? I prefer them to my Black Diamond aluminum poles. But doubt they will hold up to years of abuse as well as the BD. Very well thought out, light, cork grips, flip-locks, big baskets for winter use, small baskets and two types of rubber tips....best $20 I’ve spent this year.

I bought a battery pack at Walmart for $20 that is 6800 or so mAh. It kept my iPhone charged for 11 days in the Arctic last winter when I used the phone a ton paired with the InReach and navigating with GAIA.

Good luck!

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
Darwin on the Trail has these three videos on lightweight gear on a budget.

Text links in the description but his videos are great and easy to watch.

I was pretty shocked at how cheap you can put together what seems like a great kit.

I look at my gear room that added up to 20000 bucks (just had to add it all up for a new insurance policy) and cringe a bit. That includes 6000 in rifles and scopes. But still 14000, damn son what have I done. ;-)

I love it all but also feel like there is a lot of redundancy and overkill.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Brendan

WKR
Best thing you can do is wait until after the season for everyone selling all the gear they used once, and for Black Friday sales.

Only thing I saw in your list that stuck out to me was the stove, I'd buy something used from a decent brand like MSR or Primus or wait for a sale on something new. Hell, You could pick up a 20 year old whisperlite for $30 or so, and you couldn't kill one of those if you tried. I'd rather have that than a knock-off of a crappy JetBoil :D

CMR4

FNG
To each their own, but I find synthetic and cotton boxers stink like holy hell after a day hiking in the mountains. Once cotton is wet, it's wet and cold. Wool does not stink nearly as much and keeps warmth even if a bit wet, it also sheds dirt pretty well too. I find most of my wool gear stays stink free for days, if not weeks.

That's what I was thinking. Might be the first time I've ever heard anybody say "skimp on your base layers". Lol. I bought a pair of UA boxer briefs when they first came out and swore right then I'd never put on another pair of cotton drawers. I've tried a lot of em, UA, Ex Officio, Duluth makes some nice ones. Also just bought 2 pair of FL Wick 150's during the flash sale last week and they are the best ones yet.

Anyway, spend money on your next to skin layer IMO.....

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Re-prioritized and got the new list and cost

Base layer shirt-Black Ovis 1/4 zip $48 (bought on camofire last week)
Puffy- Walmart special $30
Rain Jacket-Frogg Togg $35
Gaiters- OR $25 (used off rokslide)
Stove-Camp Chef $60
Tarp-Mountainsmith LT $98
Sleeping bag-REI coop $100
Trekking poles-Cascade Mountain $25
Battery Pack-Anker $50

Saved a good bit of money and put a bit more towards what you guys recommended. Thanks for all the input!

My thoughts on the updated list:

Base layers: good
Boxers: good
Rain Jacket: I would just skip this if you are going to carry your tarp with you
Gaiters: good
Stove: I got an OL camp that has worked awesome. 40 bucks for stove and pot and boils faster and is lighter than my buddies primus
Tarp: is this your main shelter?
Sleeping bag: should be good, make sure it is paired with a quality pad. These two things will make a huge difference, do not skimp here.
Trekking poles: I'm assuming you are using these for your tarp, if not I personally dont take them
Battery pack: I think I remember picking up my anker for around 30 on amazon for a 10000 mAH