Which anti-cant device?

OP
sierracharlie338
Any bubble on the scope will work good, the main difference is the interior fluid, some bubbles will split into 2 or more bubbles especially in cold weather. price or name seems to have no bearing on effectiveness. 2 cents.
Thanks for that. Have not seen one happen on a rifle yet but have no doubt it can happen as I’ve seen it on a standard building level.

Thanks for that. Have not seen one happen on a rifle yet but have no doubt it can happen as I’ve seen it on a standard building level.
Yeah, the level vial that we (MKMachining) use is pretty specialized and has been tested thoroughly. It is hard to get a level vial that is as sensitive as ours in such a small size. Our vials are sensitive to 45 minutes (3/4 of one degree) from the left to right black lines and still move pretty quickly in freezing temperatures. We did a lot of cold weather testing and have never experienced a bubble split nor have had a customer provide such experience.

Thanks for giving them a shot! (pun intended)

OP
sierracharlie338
Yeah, the level vial that we (MKMachining) use is pretty specialized and has been tested thoroughly. It is hard to get a level vial that is as sensitive as ours in such a small size. Our vials are sensitive to 45 minutes (3/4 of one degree) from the left to right black lines and still move pretty quickly in freezing temperatures. We did a lot of cold weather testing and have never experienced a bubble split nor have had a customer provide such experience.

Thanks for giving them a shot! (pun intended)
Good info thanks for taking the time to reply here. I’ve been very happy with the three I’ve bought so far. And they are definitely sensitive when I’m moving them!

OP, I've been particularly happy with this fold-away pic-rail level from US Optics. On a PRS or similar gun it may not be my first choice, but this is on a lightweight hunting AR, and I really don't want things hanging off it, getting caught on brush, gear, etc. This one both folds away, and has a metal cap that covers the vial when not in use - with threads on the other side of the level to screw the cap onto so you don't misplace it. That said, it's also pretty well protected without the cap, especially when folded away. Overall, extremely happy with it.

I currently use an MDT Send-It electronic level that I got recently but I still keep a cheap Vortex bubble level on the scope as an emergency backup. I'll probably switch the backup out for an MK Machining one eventually.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Holland Shooters Supply makes a good affordable level that is low profile. Doesnt stick out any further than a parallax turret

I see people from time to time bring up folding levels and how rigid levels become a snag point, but I don't really understand the argument, or at least not with the new level offerings companies are producing now. A quality scope mounted spirit vial level from the better brands have thought about that and designed around it. There are a few companies out there making nice levels. Accuracy 1st, flatline, MK Machining (shameless plug).

My [small] issue with the holding levers is there will almost certainly always be a little bit of slop, meaning they will not be AS accurate and likely not as durable if something were to happen. Now I understand that the little amount of "slop" does not result in much rifle Cant and most consumers do not need a level that accuracy. The folding mechanism does add cost though and to me the added cost for feature is not worth it over other options out there.

The placement of the vial on a well thought out model should not stick out past the parallax knob and should be well under the elevation turret making the bounding box of the rifle no larger. Meaning the level should not be anymore of a snag point than the knobs of your scope.

Here are a couple photos of our newer XLP level mounted to two different optics.

This first one is mounted on a Swarovski Z8i. It is a little tricky to tell in the photo, but the level head is flush with the parallax knob. I don't have a photo of this, but we used a Vortex LHT optic to optimize our design to make sure you can still see the vial with your non-dominant eye while still in the eyebox/shooting position. The LHT models have pretty much the smallest parallax knobs of the commonly used higher end hunting optics that I'm aware of. (I'm sure someone out there makes one smaller)
1710350651429.png

Second picture is on a Zeiss LRP S5. The S5 is certainly more on the tactical end with large turrets, but the photo will help give you a perspective of scale. Really large parallax knob, and you can still see the complete vial from the shooting position.
1710351277393.png

Thanks for the recommendations. I just got the MKM and it's fantastic. Low profile doesn't snag and you can see with your non-dominate eye without leaving the scope sight picture.