Which arrow would you choose?

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
My new custom bow is 46# @ 28" and I draw 29.5". It shoots both of the following arrow setups well and I really only chase whitetail at the moment. Which would you pick?

500 spine full length Black Eagle Vintage, aluminum insert, 125 grain head for a total weight of 470 grains
500 spine full length Black Eagle Vintage, brass insert, 125 grain head for a total weight of 500 grains

Aaron W

Lil-Rokslider
I would try to differentiate which arrow shoots the best.

It looks like the aluminum insert is listed as 14 grains and I'm assuming that the brass is 50 grains. This would be a 36 grain difference which should have some impact on the dynamic spine.

Perhaps if the 470 flies/tunes the best (and your really want to shoot a few grains heavier) you could cut down that 34" arrow some and use the brass.

Both setups are very close to 10gpp.

Beendare

WKR
30g different is nothing, insert difference is nothing….both good

When you get to about 50g differential you start seeing/ hearing differences that matter. As i recall- I had 3 arrows tuned for my 53# recurve; 380g, 435g, 498g …the 435g was a no brainer.

Arrow weight matters more with the compound guys shooting big inefficient mech heads…those guys benefit from more arrow weight. A 2 blade on a low energy arrow is still a penetrating monster.

My new custom bow is 46# @ 28" and I draw 29.5". It shoots both of the following arrow setups well and I really only chase whitetail at the moment. Which would you pick?

500 spine full length Black Eagle Vintage, aluminum insert, 125 grain head for a total weight of 470 grains
500 spine full length Black Eagle Vintage, brass insert, 125 grain head for a total weight of 500 grains
I would go with the 500gr, but 30gr will not be very meaningful. Shoot both bare shaft and hunt with the better flying arrow… one of them will have better bare shaft flight

I personally like a heavy arrow, but either one of those will kill any whitetail in the world and he'll never notice the difference.

OP
Squints08

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information and after shooting both a bit each day I’ve settled on the slightly heavier arrow. Now, which of these broadheads would you pick? Both are 125 grain Magnus stinger buzzcuts but one is a straight 2 blade and the other has 2 additional bleeder blades. These are my choices because I have lots of them on hand.

Attachments

• IMG_6768.jpeg
    IMG_6768.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 3
I shot 150 magnus stingers with bleeders a long time ago. They worked well. Lifetime warranty on them. I just prefer a solid one piece broadhead. If that’s all I had to choose from I’d shoot the four blade version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk