Which barrel contour??

satchamo

WKR
I’m putting together a 7 PRC on a tikka action and I’m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of different proprietary contours available. I am looking at having UM chamber an ACE barrel amongst a few other options.

This will be strictly a hunting rifle and I plan to do 18” in because I have a DD LTI can it will be wearing (I know it will be slow and I don’t care). So 5/8 threads at a requirement.

I’m not looking for a pencil barrel but I definitely want to keep the weight reasonable. I will also be likely to spiral flute it.

Given the above - I’ve been looking at an ACE #3 contour but wasn’t sure if I was better to bump down to a #1 or #2 sporter?

Wapiti1

WKR
#1 is the lightest option and is a touch below the min dimension to thread to 5/8" if you cut to 18". Could be done if you add a shouldering ring.

#2 works, and could be fluted, but the flutes will only be in a 10" long section of barrel and probably not going to get you lighter than a #1.

#3 is the heavier version of #2.

All depends on what you want for final weight.

Jeremy

BBell4

FNG
#1 is the lightest option and is a touch below the min dimension to thread to 5/8" if you cut to 18". Could be done if you add a shouldering ring.

#2 works, and could be fluted, but the flutes will only be in a 10" long section of barrel and probably not going to get you lighter than a #1.

#3 is the heavier version of #2.

All depends on what you want for final weight.

Jeremy
Any chance you'd know the weights of a #3 22" fluted?

wapitibob

WKR
I have a DD Lti on a 24" Bartlein #3 that's .700 at the muzzle and 5/8 threads. When this barrel is shot I have an Ace #3 in the safe which will also be threaded 5/8 for the Lti.
The only thing I did was dust off about .015" from the face of the Lti mount to get rid of most of the internal chamfer. That gave me face contact from about .630 out to the .700 max dia.

Tikka lite contour, have it threaded 9/16 and get a 9/16 direct thread for the enticer

If you Absolutely hate 9/16 or buying another hub direct thread then have a smith thread your barrel 1/2 then mount a permanent 5/8 adapter on it