Which Cartridge / Caliber with limited availability of components or ammo for LR??

Spoonbill

WKR
Yep still awesome with short action chamberings and retarded with full length.
I can't for the life of me figure out why Tikka hasn't lengthened their long actions..
Tikka only makes one size action. The 223 and 300 win are the same length, just different bolt faces and bolt stops.

z987k

WKR
Yes I'm aware I own three.
I meant tikka needs to lengthen their actions for LA chamberings, they're fantastic for short mags loaded at 3.2"
I honestly don't think tikka markets to people that handload. They volume is in factory ammo, so in the end it doesn't matter to them. The fact they updated the twist rate on the 300 win mag is surprising.

I honestly don't think tikka markets to people that handload. They volume is in factory ammo, so in the end it doesn't matter to them. The fact they updated the twist rate on the 300 win mag is surprising.
Yeah they definitely don't, I'm afraid they're putting more effort into fancy wiz bang upgrades like painting junk plastic stocks then staying current with a rapidly evolving shooting market.
I love tikkas as an inexpensive hunting rifle or build platform, but if they keep bumping up their prices without actually improving the package they'll go by the wayside

z987k

WKR
Yeah they definitely don't, I'm afraid they're putting more effort into fancy wiz bang upgrades like painting junk plastic stocks then staying current with a rapidly evolving shooting market.
I love tikkas as an inexpensive hunting rifle or build platform, but if they keep bumping up their prices without actually improving the package they'll go by the wayside
Agreed. The painted stocks are beyond stupid. Cerekote is nice, but for the money, I'd just buy stainless.
Honestly I wish they'd just sell their actions for short and medium cartridge builds. There probably has never been a better action for a SAUM or WSM, yet they don't much offer either of those.

The thing is, if they offer all that much improvement they're just competing with themselves in the sako line.
Problem there is, while Sako is a nice rifle, it has a bunch of the same issues and for the money I'd WAY rather do a semi custom tikka or even a full custom R700. There's a lot of competition at the Sako price range and I don't think they really have anything unique to pull you that direction.

If they came out with a new mag that accepted longer long action cartridges, new twist rates and a carbon/composite of any sort stock, it'd cost as much as the Sakos. And Sako makes that rifle minus the mag.
Would you buy a $2k factory tikka?

Agreed. The painted stocks are beyond stupid. Cerekote is nice, but for the money, I'd just buy stainless.
Honestly I wish they'd just sell their actions for short and medium cartridge builds. There probably has never been a better action for a SAUM or WSM, yet they don't much offer either of those.

The thing is, if they offer all that much improvement they're just competing with themselves in the sako line.
Problem there is, while Sako is a nice rifle, it has a bunch of the same issues and for the money I'd WAY rather do a semi custom tikka or even a full custom R700. There's a lot of competition at the Sako price range and I don't think they really have anything unique to pull you that direction.

If they came out with a new mag that accepted longer long action cartridges, new twist rates and a carbon/composite of any sort stock, it'd cost as much as the Sakos. And Sako makes that rifle minus the mag.
Good points
I wouldn't buy a $2000 tikka cuz I'm into custom barrels, I think many people would though if it had an ultralight CF stock and threaded barrels of various lengths like the Fieldcraft.
I would however buy a normal priced tikka in say 300 prc if it had a freaking 3.7" mag box.

I'll quit bitching now.. I love my tikka 6.5 saum, and I'm a week away from getting my other tikka action mated up with a 7-300 wsm improved.
The centerfeed mountain tac mags feed wsms and ackleys like butter

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider

I have 4 stock Tikkas now short action standard calibers. I like the platform....

I like the idea of the 300 WSM in a tikka. I have seen some ammo locally here lately......you saying -

There probably has never been a better action for a SAUM or WSM, yet they don't much offer either of those.

Has me thinking it might be the way to go.....

rootacres

WKR
Im a big fan of the 300 WSM and the WM/PRC would certainly do well.

For what its worth though, and maybe it should be a consideration for you. I hunted alone for Coues this year. The shot ended up being at 425yds. So when making extended range shots, especially alone, I want something that has enough horsepower to anchor the animal when I put the bullet in the right spot. However, something that is almost always overlooked when picking an elk rifle is creating a package that allows you to spot your shots through the scope. This year I practiced a lot on my form and was able to spot my impact through my scope on that Coues. I have a 7mm SAUM (~8.75lb package total) pushing a 143 gr hammer with an area 419 brake. This is the same rifle I took a bull elk with at 325 yds last year (168gr bullet though).

Sure a 300 RUM would be great but if you take that 700 yd shot and have no idea where the bullet went or where the elk ran to that doesn't help much, especially when hunting alone.

I had a 300 WSM that I could spot shots with, sold it to help fund the custom 7 SAUM build which couldn't have turned out better for what I want to do with it. If elk was the main emphasis I wouldn't hesitate to buy/build anther 300 WSM.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
I have 4 stock Tikkas now short action standard calibers. I like the platform....

I like the idea of the 300 WSM in a tikka. I have seen some ammo locally here lately......you saying -

There probably has never been a better action for a SAUM or WSM, yet they don't much offer either of those.

Has me thinking it might be the way to go.....
Yup, if you reload and want to load longer than SAAMI to take advantage of it, you'll probably need to do a little work to the magazine or get an aftermarket one.

In response to post #20, I'd be looking at terminal performance with respect to adequate expansion at the range you want to shoot. Energy doesn't matter if it's not going fast enough to open.

6.8 Western 165 ABLR factory load has just over 1940 fps remaining velocity at 700 yds, should be plenty for expansion as the ABLR is rated down to 1300 fps.

In response to post #11, maybe the .270 ain't over the hill yet...

Last edited:
Lol, in regards to my post above, I believe I may have been posted here when it was meant for another thread. Apologies.

Edit: nope found the posts I was responding to back on the first page. Carry on.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be looking at terminal performance with respect to adequate expansion at the range you want to shoot. Energy doesn't matter if it's not going fast enough to open.

6.8 Western 165 ABLR factory load has just over 1940 fps remaining velocity at 700 yds, should be plenty for expansion as the ABLR is rated down to 1300 fps.

As has been said many times - Bullets matter more than headstamps!

I don't look at energy. Minimum impact velocity is what I am going for. I like 2000 fps as a max range limiter. Just my self imposed limit. I personally don't like to be at minimums for much...Lol!

That being said, the 6.5 creed factory 143 ELD-x at 2650 from the muzzle at 8000' is still going 1945 fps at 700 yards. Inside their minimum velocity of 1600fps I believe. Would be easy enough to spot my own shots with that combo too.

The factory 300 wsm 200 gr eld-x at 2750 , 8000', is still going 1998 fps at 700 yards....harder to spot shots with this combo unless you add a brake.

Finding the ammo and components has been the "fun" part though. Several people have mentioned to just find the bullets for the creed and run it. Doing "ballistic gymnastics" with the calculators is fun, but it boils down to more than that I think. As has been mentioned, impact velocity, ability to spot impacts, terminal performance, and ability to practice and then shoot when the time comes.

The .223 thread for deer, elk, antelope, bear, and moose might sway me to stay with a smaller standard caliber. Obviously with good bullets. It will be lighter and easier to carry, easier to shoot, cost less to shoot.....likely same type of terminal performance.

Obviously right now I have nothing but time on my hands......lol

Thanks all for your input!!

As has been said many times - Bullets matter more than headstamps!

I don't look at energy. Minimum impact velocity is what I am going for. I like 2000 fps as a max range limiter. Just my self imposed limit. I personally don't like to be at minimums for much...Lol!

That being said, the 6.5 creed factory 143 ELD-x at 2650 from the muzzle at 8000' is still going 1945 fps at 700 yards. Inside their minimum velocity of 1600fps I believe. Would be easy enough to spot my own shots with that combo too.

The factory 300 wsm 200 gr eld-x at 2750 , 8000', is still going 1998 fps at 700 yards....harder to spot shots with this combo unless you add a brake.

Finding the ammo and components has been the "fun" part though. Several people have mentioned to just find the bullets for the creed and run it. Doing "ballistic gymnastics" with the calculators is fun, but it boils down to more than that I think. As has been mentioned, impact velocity, ability to spot impacts, terminal performance, and ability to practice and then shoot when the time comes.

The .223 thread for deer, elk, antelope, bear, and moose might sway me to stay with a smaller standard caliber. Obviously with good bullets. It will be lighter and easier to carry, easier to shoot, cost less to shoot.....likely same type of terminal performance.

Obviously right now I have nothing but time on my hands......lol

Thanks all for your input!!
You definitely want to make sure you shoot within the max velocity range for bullet expansion but don't get too hung up on numbers.
I see way too many guys getting into lr hunting that spout off about incredible 6.5 ballistic numbers that'll end an elk at 900 yards.
Trust me there's way more to it, I made the mistake of killing one bull past 700 yards with my 6.5 saum and I'll never use it beyond 500 yards again.
Heavy 270, 7mm, or 30 cals are the way to go for clean lr kills

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
So in checking around a bit, I see the tikka 300 WSM will fit and work in a KRG Bravo......I happen to have one without a rifle in it....

It would add some weight, would make it more long range friendly I suspect as well. That might be the best answer so far....

You definitely want to make sure you shoot within the max velocity range for bullet expansion but don't get too hung up on numbers.
I see way too many guys getting into lr hunting that spout off about incredible 6.5 ballistic numbers that'll end an elk at 900 yards.
Trust me there's way more to it, I made the mistake of killing one bull past 700 yards with my 6.5 saum and I'll never use it beyond 500 yards again.
Heavy 270, 7mm, or 30 cals are the way to go for clean lr kills

You are definitely splitting hairs between 6.5mm and .270 for sure. 6.5mm has up to 160 grain bullets available and I’m not the least bit interested in 270 but I believe 170 grains is the upper limit for those.

I do agree with heavy 7mm and larger for really long range work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro