Which Decoy

Looking to pick up a decoy for use through the prerut and rut in the southeast. I’m planning to get a doe decoy, and would prefer something like a Montana decoy for ease of transfer on some longer hike ins. What silhouette do you guys prefer? Any advantages to the different silhouettes? (Trixie vs dreamy doe) Any better suggestions or convincing arguments for a 3D?

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a small buck decoy with success when grunting. Young bucks will check out any call buck the older guys need to see something to come in close.
Put your decoy at least 40 yds down from where you hope the buck to stop. It's eerie how bucks will stop exactly 40 yds out every time.

I’ve never tried a decoy in the southeast. What type of land you hunting?

In the Deep South I’ve always been a big proponent of “less is more” when it comes to deer. Which isn’t to say a decoy wouldn’t help. Just curious where you hunting and why you think you need one.

OP
Ferrulewax
I’ve never tried a decoy in the southeast. What type of land you hunting?

In the Deep South I’ve always been a big proponent of “less is more” when it comes to deer. Which isn’t to say a decoy wouldn’t help. Just curious where you hunting and why you think you need one.
I'm typically of the same mind, but I've got a buddy with some good results using just a doe decoy. I'll just be using on private, I think it would be more harmful than anything on public. I also have access to a few thousand acres in south Alabama farmland that recieves little pressure that I hunt about a week a year on.

dtrkyman

WKR
Have never used a doe, always a buck. However this was mostly rut and hunting mature animals. All in the midwest.

I did killa doe over a buck decoy once late season, on the ground I killed her at 15 feet while she stared at my decoy!

I used that hoss buck decoy a lot, probably bigger than most of your deer, the old carrylite was my favorite but they are no longer made.

No experience with 2d decoys.

We killed a lot of big bucks with a buck decoy in open fields!

Btaylor

WKR
We tried that carry lite doe years ago in the river bottoms here and I have never seen a more effective deer repellent. No matter the distance from which they spotted it, stomp, blow and haul ass.