Which kuiu camo pattern

Good for you! And if you think that camo pattern has some sort of magical powers that make you invisible to elk and whitetails, hey, awesome! Twenty years ago I shot a nice blacktail buck with my old q2 in $5 wrangler camo jeans, $30 boots and some cheapy jacket that I all bought at kmart. Shot a 89 5/8 antelope buck a few years later with that same setup.

I have both types in full sets and the verde is by far the better choice for nearly all situations. Even out in the sage it still works fine.

The problem with kuiu is all the douchebags wearing it. Of course a matter of opinion, it's just like Dale Earnhardt Jr fans, although he's a pretty decent dude, I find it impossible to be a fan of his because of the people that love and champion for him. Just impossible for me to be a part of that crowd. Every time I see a guy with the kiui it makes me chuckle a bit, poor fella, working so hard to be cool and feel accepted..thinks he can accomplish that by simply buying some stylish clothes, thinks he's a better hunter and has magical powers over elk. I got past that stage of life in high school.

People say the stuff is high quality. I haven't found that to be true at all. The pockets unglued themselves on my chinook pants on day two in Idaho 2014. The glue also came loose on the kneepads leaving lots of strands of threads down to the ground to deal with all the time. The guide jacket which looks very nice has also been bad..velcro on sleeves coming off, sleeves ridiculously tight, hood always sticking to the velcro on my hat band, threads loose everywhere, and the main problem...the wind goes right through it! I don't mean it doesn't have windstopper, I mean it just sucks whenever the wind blows, even a little, even in mid september. My vias guide jacket is now my do things around the house jacket, change oil etc. I never wear it in the woods. I'll be selling the rest of it as I didn't wear it all last year even though I packed the whole verde set into camp, over 11 days I never had the urge to put it on. The merino base layer pant is wore out though, only after about 30 miles.

Worst of all regarding kuiu is the way they do business, expecting you to pay and wait for stuff to arrive from China that they haven't even made yet. Anyone who is willing to do that has definitely been hypnotized by the magical powers of the vias! I live/work in Japan and the same jackets from Toray are sold at uniqlo for about $40. Kuiu put vias on it and viola, it's a $200 jacket! Now that is some serious magic right there! Exactly the same garment. Although you might, I can't find myself content wearing the kuiu name.

I have two sets of the Tusx. I have a bunch of sitka now, which I used to despise as well. It was cool when it came out, then every overweight hillbilly thought he would improve his self esteem by wearing it. And it cost too much. A quick turn off for me. But now I have figured out it is good stuff, far superior than kuiu. In fact I only bought the kuiu because it was cheaper than the sitka, which turned out to be a mistake.

So I wear sitka, but still feel a bit ashamed. The Tusx is definitely the best camo I've ever used. The garments are of good quality, maybe not the best, but good enough. But the camo is above and beyond the others. And it's affordable. A had a guy wear it my my camp a couple years ago and just watching how he blended in..I knew it was superior.
Me in Idaho 2015. OTC tag.
View attachment 36886
I cannot say that the tusx has helped me get more game though as I am pretty sneaky nowadays..pretty good at not getting caught moving.

I think in the end that it's mostly just a primadonna game we play, trying your best to look cool in front of your peers. Most any camo nowadays works just fine. It's all about being sneaky and playing the wind, and of course camo magic. lol
But if there is anything hilarious, it's how we spend thousands to look the part, then go live in the woods like homeless people.

Wow.....I'm so relieved you don't live in Australia.

IdahoElk

WKR
"Twenty years ago I shot a nice blacktail buck with my old q2 in $5 wrangler camo jeans, $30 boots and some cheapy jacket that I all bought at kmart. Shot a 89 5/8 antelope buck a few years later with that same setup. "

So why do you use magical camo from Australia?

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
So back on topic... I'd say a little mix & match of both patterns. Everyone has their own preference and opinions on camo but it comes down to what makes you happy. I personally like both and have some of each pattern and solid earth tones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Good for you! And if you think that camo pattern has some sort of magical powers that make you invisible to elk and whitetails, hey, awesome! Twenty years ago I shot a nice blacktail buck with my old q2 in $5 wrangler camo jeans, $30 boots and some cheapy jacket that I all bought at kmart. Shot a 89 5/8 antelope buck a few years later with that same setup.

I have both types in full sets and the verde is by far the better choice for nearly all situations. Even out in the sage it still works fine.

The problem with kuiu is all the douchebags wearing it. Of course a matter of opinion, it's just like Dale Earnhardt Jr fans, although he's a pretty decent dude, I find it impossible to be a fan of his because of the people that love and champion for him. Just impossible for me to be a part of that crowd. Every time I see a guy with the kiui it makes me chuckle a bit, poor fella, working so hard to be cool and feel accepted..thinks he can accomplish that by simply buying some stylish clothes, thinks he's a better hunter and has magical powers over elk. I got past that stage of life in high school.

People say the stuff is high quality. I haven't found that to be true at all. The pockets unglued themselves on my chinook pants on day two in Idaho 2014. The glue also came loose on the kneepads leaving lots of strands of threads down to the ground to deal with all the time. The guide jacket which looks very nice has also been bad..velcro on sleeves coming off, sleeves ridiculously tight, hood always sticking to the velcro on my hat band, threads loose everywhere, and the main problem...the wind goes right through it! I don't mean it doesn't have windstopper, I mean it just sucks whenever the wind blows, even a little, even in mid september. My vias guide jacket is now my do things around the house jacket, change oil etc. I never wear it in the woods. I'll be selling the rest of it as I didn't wear it all last year even though I packed the whole verde set into camp, over 11 days I never had the urge to put it on. The merino base layer pant is wore out though, only after about 30 miles.

Worst of all regarding kuiu is the way they do business, expecting you to pay and wait for stuff to arrive from China that they haven't even made yet. Anyone who is willing to do that has definitely been hypnotized by the magical powers of the vias! I live/work in Japan and the same jackets from Toray are sold at uniqlo for about $40. Kuiu put vias on it and viola, it's a $200 jacket! Now that is some serious magic right there! Exactly the same garment. Although you might, I can't find myself content wearing the kuiu name.

I have two sets of the Tusx. I have a bunch of sitka now, which I used to despise as well. It was cool when it came out, then every overweight hillbilly thought he would improve his self esteem by wearing it. And it cost too much. A quick turn off for me. But now I have figured out it is good stuff, far superior than kuiu. In fact I only bought the kuiu because it was cheaper than the sitka, which turned out to be a mistake.

So I wear sitka, but still feel a bit ashamed. The Tusx is definitely the best camo I've ever used. The garments are of good quality, maybe not the best, but good enough. But the camo is above and beyond the others. And it's affordable. A had a guy wear it my my camp a couple years ago and just watching how he blended in..I knew it was superior.
View attachment 36886
I cannot say that the tusx has helped me get more game though as I am pretty sneaky nowadays..pretty good at not getting caught moving.

I think in the end that it's mostly just a primadonna game we play, trying your best to look cool in front of your peers. Most any camo nowadays works just fine. It's all about being sneaky and playing the wind, and of course camo magic. lol
But if there is anything hilarious, it's how we spend thousands to look the part, then go live in the woods like homeless people.

Far be it for me to stick up for Kuiu as I'm sure most know I am not what you would call a fan. But you sure own a hell of ALOT of it for bad mouthing it so bad, and commenting on the type of people that buy it and wear it..

The guide jacket was meant to be breathable, or else they would have put a wind stopper in it.

Kuiu doesn't take your money until a product is actually shipped, with the amount of gear you have from them I would assume you knew that?

Go buy a toray jacket in any ski shop in Europe and be ready to lay down some serious coin.

You seem to put a lot of stock in the type of people that wear the gear, as evident in your in your original acceptance of Sitka then your dislike because of it popularity. That's a weird thing to worry about.

I'm not sure what's worse, the inaccuracies in your statements, or the borderline insecurities that you have when you put on camo..

To the OP camo is irrelevant in regards to pattern for most animals. Pick what YOU like, because they will all be sufficient. The technical nature of the clothing and the fit in you makes a much larger difference then pattern. I think your unfairly limiting yourself if you choose to wear just one companies products.

View attachment 36886

Not sure about your response with you owning Vias AND Verde, yet don't like KUIU....

I've had KUIU from the ground floor. Everyone in Arkansas made fun of me, but I knew it was high end gear for the mountains that would serve well in Arkansas.

6 years in, I am still wearing the original attack pants, guide pants, guide jacket, guide vest, merino base layers, and even still have the spinddrift.

These products go with me on turkey hunts, whitetail deer hunts, muley hunts, elk hunts, duck hunts, hiking, snowshoeing, and she'd hunts to the tune of 180 days a year at a minimum. Not quality? Mine is still going strong. I have killed 6 TURKEYS with Vias on all less than 20 yards. I kill DUCKS with the vias on. Not counting all the other muleys, elk, and whitetails in the last 6 years all with vias.

Does it work?

It definitely does not hurt you.

Why don't you buy an Arcterx (sp) jacket and pay 2.5 that of the KUIU guide jacket.

I like the KUIU products and I like the First Lite Fusion products. The original poster can't go wrong with either.

Hokkaido

Banned
"Twenty years ago I shot a nice blacktail buck with my old q2 in $5 wrangler camo jeans, $30 boots and some cheapy jacket that I all bought at kmart. Shot a 89 5/8 antelope buck a few years later with that same setup. "

So why do you use magical camo from Australia?

Because it's the best pattern I've seen for early elk. And 20 years later I'm able to afford nicer stuff. I think we've all been there.

Hokkaido

Banned
Far be it for me to stick up for Kuiu as I'm sure most know I am not what you would call a fan. But you sure own a hell of ALOT of it for bad mouthing it so bad, and commenting on the type of people that buy it and wear it..

The guide jacket was meant to be breathable, or else they would have put a wind stopper in it.

Kuiu doesn't take your money until a product is actually shipped, with the amount of gear you have from them I would assume you knew that?

Go buy a toray jacket in any ski shop in Europe and be ready to lay down some serious coin.

You seem to put a lot of stock in the type of people that wear the gear, as evident in your in your original acceptance of Sitka then your dislike because of it popularity. That's a weird thing to worry about.

I'm not sure what's worse, the inaccuracies in your statements, or the borderline insecurities that you have when you put on camo..

To the OP camo is irrelevant in regards to pattern for most animals. Pick what YOU like, because they will all be sufficient. The technical nature of the clothing and the fit in you makes a much larger difference then pattern. I think your unfairly limiting yourself if you choose to wear just one companies products.

I see you are quite entranced by the magic of the kuiu.... The guide jacket is beyond breathable.. We all know it's sold as breathable genius. It shouldn't be marketed as "wind resistant" as it isn't any more so than a long sleeve shirt. It's not comfortable to sit and glass in. Get cold quickly and that is from a guy that never gets cold. As far as them not charging your card until they ship.. yes that is true. But you have to give them your CC info to make the order which is pretty much the same. Funny you would try to split hairs like that.
Insecurities..Yes. It comes from guys like you. I don't wanna look like you in the woods. It's just like cars. There are certain rigs that we don't drive because of the type of people who you generally see in them, not that they are bad cars and don't get the job done, just don't wanna be included in that crowd.

I wouldn't have any comment on the stuff if I didn't own it.
It's unfortunate that you and cast doubt as to what I've said. It only goes to prove my point further.

I definitely have the kuiu gear, bought it all at once, sorta anyway.
When I made the order I assumed that the girl on the phone could spell the "oregon" part of my email address. But in fact she spelled it "oregan". I called back in a couple days to find out why I hadn't received any email and found the problem. When I reviewed the order I found that the same girl had chosen the wrong pattern pants. I called back again to try and fix it only to be told that "We ship thousands of packages everyday. We can't go through all of them just to find yours". Which pretty much sucked. So I had to re-order, and they magically sold out in the few days since the first order, and I had to pay the high shipping charges again. So I had the fun experience of waiting a few months for a mistake that was no fault of my own.
I have the gear and will be selling it, perhaps on here. I might label it "Kuiu Size XL for Posers". I will be sure to let you know tips I think it would be right up your alley!

I've had KUIU from the ground floor. Everyone in Arkansas made fun of me, but I knew it was high end gear for the mountains that would serve well in Arkansas.

6 years in, I am still wearing the original attack pants, guide pants, guide jacket, guide vest, merino base layers, and even still have the spinddrift.

That's great to hear and it really isn't bad stuff, especially the stuff you have that I assume was made in Canada? The stuff I have is all made in China and although I don't have any of the Canada stuff it fetches higher prices used on ebay etc. I wish I could have got my hands on that stuff. But the China gear I have just hasn't worked out for me. The base layers haven't lasted long and there are a few bad seams on others. The pockets separating from the pants has also been disappointing. The same chinook pants also easily ripped once at the boot climbing over a deadfall. I have the chugach rain pants that I found on sale for $80. Those have been awesome but would not pay $230 for them. I have the ballcap as well but have never worn it..can't imagine what a douche I would feel like with the word kuiu on my head. It's just the way I feel about the gear.
Then again if you are going to buy the stuff I think the verde is better for anything other than late season, and even then it's not that bad.......
IMG_1282.jpg
I have both, have hunted quite a bit in both and hunted with others in it. I really think the vias sticks out before fall has really kicked in. And in the winter it's still not as good as the sitka optifade
IMG_0687.jpg

Last edited:

Bulldawg

WKR
Insecurities..Yes. It comes from guys like you. I don't wanna look like you in the woods. It's just like cars. There are certain rigs that we don't drive because of the type of people who you generally see in them, not that they are bad cars and don't get the job done, just don't wanna be included in that crowd.

What kind of car do you drive? I want to make sure I don't buy the same car cause I don't want to look like a douche.

RdRdrFan

WKR
Only one douche that I've seen on this thread. And I don't make that determination by his camo or the vehicle he drives. His words define him as such.

Hokkaido

Banned
Fair enough. But I'm just telling it as I see it. Unfortunately the kuiu fellas are a bit offended. I'm not worried.

Bulldawg

WKR
Dude, the last time you posted on here you started a thread wanting to buy a Kuiu jacket?? And that was just last fall a couple months ago, you're worst than a politician.

Hokkaido

Banned
Ah, sorry buddy you've got it wrong. I needed a jacket to make the verde set as I was tired of waiting for kuiu's boat to arrive from China. I finally made the set and used it, and have hence decided that there are a few problems with it but the gear itself is alright for the price. But the growing trend of douchebags lining up to wear it has made it something I won't be wearing anymore. I think I've made that generally clear? Just my opinion. Sorry if it offends you or bursts your bubble. Then again, no.

RdRdrFan

WKR
By your own admission you own more Kuiu gear than I ever have so this certainly isn't a fanboy thing. What few pieces I have owned have been good gear. But I either own or have owned gear from just about every company out there from Walls overalls on up to the best brands. You are the only person on this thread who gives a $hit what anyone wears. You've contradicted yourself several times and have proven to be a self-serving di(k with an axe to grind. Either that or you are just a troll looking for some drama. Either way you have exposed yourself as the exact type of person you claim to despise.

Bet this guy hunts solo a lot (unless he's an Internet hero who never gets off of the couch). After all, who would want to share a camp with him?

tttoadman

WKR
Ah, sorry buddy you've got it wrong. I needed a jacket to make the verde set as I was tired of waiting for kuiu's boat to arrive from China. I finally made the set and used it, and have hence decided that there are a few problems with it but the gear itself is alright for the price. But the growing trend of douchebags lining up to wear it has made it something I won't be wearing anymore. I think I've made that generally clear? Just my opinion. Sorry if it offends you or bursts your bubble. Then again, no.

I am going to follow this thread so I can see the Moderators post when you get banned. I think it may be coming soon. Despite your positions on gear(which are becoming sort of confusing by the way) or brands, you just don't seem to fit in here very well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Legit bad experiences and disagreements on a company's stance with conservation and lack of transparency are valid. Labeling some one for what they wear is childish and ignorant. If you want to educate someone on the stance of the manufacturer of the clothes he or she is wearing, have an intelligent conversation with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Worst of all regarding kuiu is the way they do business, expecting you to pay and wait for stuff to arrive from China that they haven't even made yet. Anyone who is willing to do that has definitely been hypnotized by the magical powers of the vias!

I've only got one piece of Kuiu clothing (a verde Merino beanie). I don't think you can really knock a small(ish) company for charging you before it is made. It's perfectly normal for small companies to take orders and then make gear. It took almost a month for me to get my newest quilts. As Kuiu grows they will probably start stocking more things because it will mean more business.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
All my Kuiu orders have been received within 4 days of ordering. Since last year sometime I haven't seen an option to backorder. If you see your size and color its available. There could be an exception if 3 people ordered the last in stock at the same time. Once I got the "order has been processed" email it arrives in 3 days. So I don't believe they are taking orders on out of stock products any more. I've seen the inventory replenish pretty quick since their big sale last November.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk