which lefty bolt 22lr for hunting grouse?

Options are pretty slim for 22 lr lefty bolts... looks like its between a Savage Mark II and a Tikka TX1. Grouse heads are really small - I'd pay the extra 300 for the tikka if I needed it to get my groups under 1" at 50 yards. But if the Savage Mark II is about the same accuracy, I'll deal with the grittier action and keep my 300 dollars. Thoughts?

TSnave

FNG
Are you stuck on a bolt action? Lever guns are bi-directional. Or a TC contender carbine with a 22 barrel.

OP
L
The CZs look really nice, but their left handed bolt comes with a 25" barrel - too long for my bird hunting. The other one is 7 lbs, too heavy.

OP
L
The CZs look really nice, but they only have two models - one with a 25" barrel, and another varmint model that is 7 lbs. The levers, idk. Grouse heads are really small, and a bolt might be more accurate. Plus the savage would be at least 100 cheaper than the cheapest henry lever.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
My t1x is an absolute tack driver. Really nice to go back and forth from that to a tikka hunting rifle. Same feel. Same triggers.

Loper

WKR
I have a lefty Savage B22, but I haven’t shot it yet. I also have a Henry lever action .22 with a 16” barrel. The Henry is very accurate! I’ve actually though about putting a scope on it and using it as my small game gun because it is so light and easy to carry.

leomort

FNG
Perhaps a used left hand CZ 452s is a possibility if they're not too expensive and available?

I have the lefty Tikka. Was never a Tikka fan really. I just brought my 4th one home yesterday. I am a convert.

I think Savage is just WalMart garbage myself. Even though they make several lefties...I quit them years ago.

Pony up the extra couple bucks and grab the Tikka. It's just better.

As a bonus...I've tested several brands of ammo through my Tikka. Yes, 22LR is back on shelves now. But for years it was pretty scarce. The Norma TAC 22 is readily available out West. I now have several thousand rounds. It's 5 round sub HALF inch at 50. And is juuuust subsonic out of my rifle. Great combo

Venatic

FNG
My carbon barrel Bergara B14R is a shooter and it’s a lefty…if your looking cheap probably not an option.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
From all the lefty options listed (and I do own all of the ones listed above) I would go with the tikka with 16 inch threaded barrel. I run a suppressor on mine and it keeps the total package short even with the suppressor attached.

Another option I’m not sure you have considered but is worth looking into is the Chiappa little badger. It has an excellent trigger and will shoot into an inch at 50 with ammo it likes. It also has the benefit of weighing 3 pounds and folding in half to fit in a pack. It’s ugly as sin but inexpensive and way more accurate that it has any right to be.

OP
L
Well, I ordered in a Savage Mark II G left handed yesterday. Not from walmart though - they have their own SKU, and I wonder if it's inferior to the ones you get at the local gun store.

Anyhow, I'll post up here in a few months and let folks know how it went. Thanks for all the suggestions. I wanted the Tikka, but needed to save the 380 dollars. Fingers crossed.

JohnB

WKR
As a bonus...I've tested several brands of ammo through my Tikka. Yes, 22LR is back on shelves now. But for years it was pretty scarce. The Norma TAC 22 is readily available out West. I now have several thousand rounds. It's 5 round sub HALF inch at 50. And is juuuust subsonic out of my rifle. Great combo

When I bought my T1x I bought about 8 different types of decent 22lr ammo and spent a few hours figuring out what shot the best. Of all the Eley and similar TAC 22 wound up shooting the best. It's probably been about the same as for you.