Which truck

Agree with the titan diesel looks pretty interesting. I am partial to Toyotas and have a '08 Tacoma. If tundra ever gets that 5.0 cummings diesel that Toyota has been talking about I might take a look at one. That'll probably be out of my $$$ range though.

Pretty sure the 2017 will have it but I bet it costs the same as a 2500 Duramax does on sale.

If you spend a lot of time off pavement don't get a diesel, the roads and your kidneys will appreciate it. Only way to fix the kidney issue is a kit like Carli but that's another 5k with tires. Even then you have 2k pounds of additional sink on sloppy days.

This is coming from a guy that's been a daily diesel guy for the most part 20 years.

My 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 L engine has right around 100K miles on it without any problems. Someone recently riding in it said it rides way smoother than his honda civic. I got a kick out of that as it's a truck and shouldn't ride smoother than cars but it does have a nice ride to it both on and off road.

As others have mentioned, it's a pretty small fuel tank and only okay fuel economy. I get around 15 MPG. Funny thing about the fuel tank, the manual states it's a 26 gallon tank. I've run it 40 miles past when the low fuel lamp lights up on multiple occassions and can only get about 20 gallons in it at the pump. So either it has a 6+ gallon reserve after the needle shows empty or the tank is even smaller than the manual states... One of these days I may run it out of gas with a gas can in the back just to test it out. Anyone else notice this?

Other than that, I've absolutely loved that truck. I plan on running it to the ground before I purchase another. Unless you need to tow some seriously heavy loads I don't know why you'd want any more truck than that.

As others have mentioned, it's a pretty small fuel tank and only okay fuel economy. I get around 15 MPG. Funny thing about the fuel tank, the manual states it's a 26 gallon tank. I've run it 40 miles past when the low fuel lamp lights up on multiple occassions and can only get about 20 gallons in it at the pump. So either it has a 6+ gallon reserve after the needle shows empty or the tank is even smaller than the manual states... One of these days I may run it out of gas with a gas can in the back just to test it out. Anyone else notice this?

I think mine only has a 22 gal tank (2004). The one I have coming will have a 38 gallon tank.

I still drive my 2001 Tundra which has 198K miles and still runs strong! Until this year, all I ever did was replace fluids, belts and spark plugs. over the last two years it was time to do a refresh: radiator, hoses, belts, shocks and a couple of bushings, timing belt (yes I pushed the limit), water pump and power steering hoses. Another thing is this truck didn't rattle for a long time when going down bumpy roads.,,can't say that about others. If I get a 1/2 ton gas truck again it will be a Tundra. I looked at and drove the new F150's and they are nice but I think the tranny is a tad sloppy and I dislike turbo lag. Another concern is turbo charged engines run hotter. Go to tundrasolutions.com and do some research. I wouldn't get a 2007 or so due to the new model year. They had a couple of issues that had to be worked out. The 2014+ introduced some solid changes in interior and ride quality.

Toss me in the Tundra camp :) I drive 02 with 150k... had to replace an O2 sensor 3 years back (pretty common with tundras) and just installed new struts last year. Other then that been smooth sailing. One of the best offroad trucks you can get in my opinion. Echo the small gas tank comments. Been running like a champ!

I have a 2012 Tacoma, which works fine for my needs. The Tundra looks great but mpg is one of my concerns and as I don't really tow anything, the Taco fits the bill.

I've run it 40 miles past when the low fuel lamp lights up on multiple occassions and can only get about 20 gallons in it at the pump. So either it has a 6+ gallon reserve after the needle shows empty or the tank is even smaller than the manual states... One of these days I may run it out of gas with a gas can in the back just to test it out. Anyone else notice this?

Absolutely, the reserve is there, my light comes on at 19 gallons, I've run it within a 1/2 gallon of what the tank is supposed to be. For fun/necessity, I made up a little chart of how much is left at the various needle positions. That extra 5 or 6 or 7 gallons comes in handy when towing and getting 9 mph.

I've run it 40 miles past when the low fuel lamp lights up on multiple occassions and can only get about 20 gallons in it at the pump. So either it has a 6+ gallon reserve after the needle shows empty or the tank is even smaller than the manual states... One of these days I may run it out of gas with a gas can in the back just to test it out. Anyone else notice this?

Absolutely, the reserve is there, my light comes on at 19 gallons, I've run it within a 1/2 gallon of what the tank is supposed to be. For fun/necessity, I made up a little chart of how much is left at the various needle positions. That extra 5 or 6 or 7 gallons comes in handy when towing and getting 9 mph.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. That saves me from testing it.

You guys with the tundras - what kind of mileage are you getting and with what motors - any lift and tires?

Mine gets 15 mpg using 85 octane fuel at 4500 ft. elevation with the 5.7 L Engine (it's a 2011). That's a mixed use city and freeway driving average. I have a 3 inch lift and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. The tires are on stock rims and are about 1 inch taller in diameter than OEM tires but the same width. Hopefully that helps.

Not sure what you do with your truck.. But I would look at a diesel, get a used duramax. Mine has 235k on it, have had zero issues with it, and get about the same MPG that my 94 Toyota Pickup did. Drove from CA to CO last year, took highway 50 out and 80 home, had the cruise control set at about 80mph, average 21mpg for the trip. Get about 16mpg if all i do is run around town without freeway.

2011 Tundra Limited Crewmax
TRD Supercharged 5.7
6" Lift, 35's
63k miles
Best Truck I have ever owned, and I have had too many to count.

Attachments

• Truck 1.jpg
    Truck 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 112
My 2011 is lifted and running 35's and I still get 14-15 on the highway with the 5.7. Around 10 in the city.

e43baf3057dca20eb83ee55aaa5b5c37.jpg

Couldn't help myself after 4 tacomas, just too sweet to pass up.

I have a 2005 Tundra access cab and am also looking at trading it for a 2010-13 model as well. The full cab would be a nice upgrade as I think most adults could ride comfortably in the back even though it is not the full crew cab?

I am curious about the 4.6l vs the 5.7 if towing around 4000#. My 05' tow's that easily.

I have a 2005 Tundra access cab and am also looking at trading it for a 2010-13 model as well. The full cab would be a nice upgrade as I think most adults could ride comfortably in the back even though it is not the full crew cab?

I am curious about the 4.6l vs the 5.7 if towing around 4000#. My 05' tow's that easily.
Get a 5.7 from what ive heard..

Back