Which week to hunt (archery – 2024)

I may have the opportunity to choose between 2 different weeks to elk hunt. Central-ish Montana.

Option 1 is Sept 7 – 13. Option 2 is Sept 26-Oct 1

I’m leaning option 2 based on the moon phase & I assume there should be more rut activity?
Elevation will be around 5,000’ for reference.

I’m fine with either, but generally speaking, which would you guys choose?

Thanks in advance for the input.

moon.jpg

Walthers

FNG
There are many factors that go into picking the time. Moon phase is one. Another is when is muzzleloader season? How high is the elevation around the area, is 5000 feet the top? They will stay high until weather or pressure brings them down. I think as time goes on in the season pressure can be a big factor. I’m no expert but tend to lean towards earlier the better. For what it’s worth.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say option 1 since you have an extra day available to hunt during that timeframe.

rambo2345

WKR
Something else to consider is the anticipated hunting pressure in the area. Id go late if there were going to be alot of other hunters early.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
My experienced is moon phase doesn’t really impact elk in the rut. They rut hardest leading up to and during the period when cows are in heat. I’d go earlier. Late you run the risk of missing the activity and most good bulls will be more difficult to call and to sneak on because they will have a herd of cows with them.

suda0402

FNG
I'll be hunting around 9/13-22. We have hunted that week for the for the last 5 years and the moon doesn't seem to change the elk activity very much.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I would pick the later dates at that elevation. Early September in MT can be very warm at 5000 ft, limiting elk activity during the day.