White Mountains Sheep Hunt 2023

I'm new to this forum...was encouraged to join and check out a thread posted by another member that drew a White Mountains tag las season. After reading a good portion of the 80 pages of commemnts (WOW...that's gotta be some sort of record!) one of several take-aways was that there were members of this forum that genuinely wanted to know more about what this hunt involves and what the country up there looks like. Well, maybe I can shed some light on this through a video slideshow Ithat my I-phone was able to put together from the photos and short clips I took while accompanying my good friend that also was fortunate enough to draw that hunt.

After viewing, should anyone have any specific questions,, feel free to reply or PM me and I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

JNDEER

WKR
Well done- been applying for that unit for years. Sad the herds are not well and they are cutting tags- if you guys were the one groups that was successful last year. Big congrats!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Man it’s cool to see photos from that area focused on the sheep. I’ve spent a lot of time in those mountains with a backpack on but never stopped to glass all day for sheep. Really cool to see! Thanks for sharing.

OP
highsierra
Well done- been applying for that unit for years. Sad the herds are not well and they are cutting tags- if you guys were the one groups that was successful last year. Big congrats!
We were not successful in taking a ram. The group that was successful shot the ram we passed on (seen in slide show bedded in boulder field) several days later. We only turned up 3 legal rams in 16 days of HARD glassing/hunting....one of which was prior to the opener. We never were able to relocate this ram after the big storm (Hurricane Hillary) hit. On our last day we did locate 5 mature dead rams. Supposedly the outfitter and guides working the area were seeing the same...few rams and numerous dead ones.

svivian

WKR
I'm new to this forum...was encouraged to join and check out a thread posted by another member that drew a White Mountains tag las season. After reading a good portion of the 80 pages of commemnts (WOW...that's gotta be some sort of record!) one of several take-aways was that there were members of this forum that genuinely wanted to know more about what this hunt involves and what the country up there looks like. Well, maybe I can shed some light on this through a video slideshow Ithat my I-phone was able to put together from the photos and short clips I took while accompanying my good friend that also was fortunate enough to draw that hunt.

After viewing, should anyone have any specific questions,, feel free to reply or PM me and I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks for sharing the video and your experience.

Ironically it appears the ram your friend passed is the avatar picture of @whites1/6(username dead giveaway)

OP
highsierra
Thanks for sharing the video and your experience.

Ironically it appears the ram your friend passed is the avatar picture of @whites1/6(username dead giveaway)
It was the same ram (as confirmed by the other hunter's outfitter). At the angle we were viewing him from the ram appeared to meet the criteria set forth by CA DFW to be “legal”...but not by much. Because it was still early on in the hunt, my friend elected to keep hunting in hopes of finding something a little bit bigger.

Last edited: