Whitetail Hunt Help

snik

FNG
I'm looking to hunt whitetail deer and am based in Utah. I've researched areas in the panhandle of Idaho and the eastern plains of Colorado. Ideally, I'd prefer a DIY approach, factoring in considerations such as cost, public access, hunting opportunities, and proximity. What other states would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Montana and Idaho are the closest to you. You've missed Idaho's date to purchase a general tag if you didn't do it this morning. Both are good. CO is going to be the furthest travel for sure but there's a chance at a great deer if you can draw a decent tag out east.

dromero

FNG
Blue tongue wiped out the North Eastern Wa whitetail population 2 yrs ago, just now starting to recover. North Idaho is decent if you can scout and get away from other hunters (alot of hunting pressure from WA residents). Montana is always a solid bet. Wyoming can be great too. That being said I'm shooting for Unit 1 in the Idaho Panhandle.

Kodiak06

FNG
It was posted above that you're too late to buy NR Idaho General tags for next year, that's INCORRECT. There are returned tags sales once a month beginning in a few months, Mar-Aug. it's easier to avoid the Dec01 date and less time logged in.

Last edited:

Kodiak06

FNG
That being said I'm shooting for Unit 1 in the Idaho Panhandle.
Take tire chains, some roads sucked. Easy to get a pull if ya need it, road hunters everywhere lol. I found a place they were not hunting thankfully

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
if you want to hunt pretty big bucks in the 2024 season north carolina has big ones. on public land but its hard to hunt where hunters won't walk right past your treestand. i know you said not a far travel so probaly montana would be my next guess.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Western KS is right across the border from Eastern CO and KS has great walk in hunting areas with whitetails on them. I was hunting in one of the bigger units in December and bumped what was no less than a 180" whitetail out of a draw. Likewise, state land (like KS Veterans') usually has good whitetail populations.