Cow hunt

3 days likely isnt enough to even kill one cow on public unless you get straight up lucky in my opinion. In 22' i shot a cow after about 1 hour of hunting, first time in the unit and it wasnt a great unit. That isn't the norm tho
In contrast, my buddy and I took our two kids on a youth elk hunt in the Big Horns last fall and hunted for 8 days with the support of a local that knew the unit and were not successful. We saw elk on several days, but by second week of rifle they’re pretty educated.

Lol I will just stick to what I know with whitetail… this will be my last post on the elk forum… people would rather be smart ass keyboard warriors. Instead of helping someone new to the sport.. this is why I usually don’t join groups because people love to act more superior than others.. where I come from we help people anyway we can especially getting people into the outdoors and enjoying the outdoors the way we do.. but it’s obviously not like that everywhere which is unfortunate for the sport of hunting but it’s all good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First off, welcome to the site. Second, you have no idea how many times folks with zero Western hunting experience come on Rokslide and ask the same questions as yours. It’s many variations on the same theme. To be honest I expected guys to be more brutal, because too many people come on here just wanting to be spoon fed answers.

You sound like a decent enough guy and guys are giving you the benefit of the doubt. That being said, there is no “easy button” for getting the answers. You either invest the time to research on each state’s game and fish pages the draw odds, harvest rates, etc…, or you pay a broker or hunt app to do the work for you.

I can tell you from experience that cow elk hunts are not slam dunks like a Midwest doe hunt over an ag field. You must prepare the same and budget enough time as you would for a bull hunt unless you have the money to go guided on private. 3 days is not enough time going into a unit for the first time, and you shouldn’t expect to draw in any state with zero points. There are OTC tags available in CO and MT, and you need to roll up your sleeves, do some more research, and come back with specific questions once you have your search narrowed some. As a new guy you are banned from asking or mentioning specific units, so you’ll need to have some grace and ask for help via PM.

I know this can be overwhelming and everybody has to start somewhere. Put in the time and you may be rewarded. Avoid getting butt hurt over a few comments and quitting. Good luck!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thank you for the input. Did you camp at one of the lakes or stay at the Wildhorse?
Staid at Widhorse hotel right there in Dulce before they closed it down, then we got rooms over in Chama. I heard they may open the Wildhorse back up again. That would save a lot of driving. The first year we got a room down in Cuba, just off the reservation, we hunted south unit only.

Agross

WKR
First off, welcome to the site. Second, you have no idea how many times folks with zero Western hunting experience come on Rokslide and ask the same questions as yours. It’s many variations on the same theme. To be honest I expected guys to be more brutal, because too many people come on here just wanting to be spoon fed answers.

You sound like a decent enough guy and guys are giving you the benefit of the doubt. That being said, there is no “easy button” for getting the answers. You either invest the time to research on each state’s game and fish pages the draw odds, harvest rates, etc…, or you pay a broker or hunt app to do the work for you.

I can tell you from experience that cow elk hunts are not slam dunks like a Midwest doe hunt over an ag field. You must prepare the same and budget enough time as you would for a bull hunt unless you have the money to go guided on private. 3 days is not enough time going into a unit for the first time, and you shouldn’t expect to draw in any state with zero points. There are OTC tags available in CO and MT, and you need to roll up your sleeves, do some more research, and come back with specific questions once you have your search narrowed some. As a new guy you are banned from asking or mentioning specific units, so you’ll need to have some grace and ask for help via PM.

I know this can be overwhelming and everybody has to start somewhere. Put in the time and you may be rewarded. Avoid getting butt hurt over a few comments and quitting. Good luck!
What he said

LaFever

FNG
I moved to Colorado in 1984 and started the learning path to deer and elk hunting in Colorado in 1985, i went every year for 8 years to get my first cow elk . there is a good chance of getting a cow elk after thanksgiving in a special drawing. if you can draw a tag in the late seasons , there a good chance of getting a cow elk but that's a big if. When it;s cold and snowy elk tend to move down and bunch up in more open areas.
Killing an elk is really the anti-climax of all the work and preparation and money that was spent.
Just like all hunting , if you're in the right place at the right time , it's apiece of cake
but that was in the 90s and early 2000s , things have changed a lot.
that doesn't mean don't try, more power to ya, go ahead and go for it

I moved to Colorado in 1984 and started the learning path to deer and elk hunting in Colorado in 1985, i went every year for 8 years to get my first cow elk . there is a good chance of getting a cow elk after thanksgiving in a special drawing. if you can draw a tag in the late seasons , there a good chance of getting a cow elk but that's a big if. When it;s cold and snowy elk tend to move down and bunch up in more open areas.
Killing an elk is really the anti-climax of all the work and preparation and money that was spent.
Just like all hunting , if you're in the right place at the right time , it's apiece of cake
but that was in the 90s and early 2000s , things have changed a lot.
that doesn't mean don't try, more power to ya, go ahead and go for it
^^^this right here. Well said.

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG

I would understand if I was asking specific question or asking for someone’s honey hole.. but it was a simple question of should I stick with whitetail or what’s my chances of trying to carve a few days out for a elk cow hunt .. I don’t know anything about elk so I didn’t know if it was something that was high odds on being successful or if it needed the devotion the same as a bull elk hunt.. like I said it’s not a big deal I see now a cow elk hunt isn’t necessarily as filling a doe tag.. so happy hunting fellas maybe years down the road I’ll try my luck at a elk

I would understand if I was asking specific question or asking for someone’s honey hole.. but it was a simple question of should I stick with whitetail or what’s my chances of trying to carve a few days out for a elk cow hunt .. I don’t know anything about elk so I didn’t know if it was something that was high odds on being successful or if it needed the devotion the same as a bull elk hunt.. like I said it’s not a big deal I see now a cow elk hunt isn’t necessarily as filling a doe tag.. so happy hunting fellas maybe years down the road I’ll try my luck at a elk

Be careful…. Once you go on a fair chase elk hunt on public out West, whitetail hunting in the Midwest will NEVER be the same. 😉

In contrast, my buddy and I took our two kids on a youth elk hunt in the Big Horns last fall and hunted for 8 days with the support of a local that knew the unit and were not successful. We saw elk on several days, but by second week of rifle they’re pretty educated.
Exactly. This unit i was in is right near the area you were in. Pulled in and glassed 2 herds within minutes lol, i couldn't believe it. Game warden told my local buddy i was shithouse lucky

Edit to add: I did go back and kill a cow in that unit again this year, but didnt kill until day 8. Thats more like what im used to, I like to plan 10 days minimum per hunt if possible

Uphills

FNG
If you want to focus on elk pick a few states that you would be ok traveling to from the midwest and study application procedure and regulations of those states. The odds of drawing and success rates are posted by each state but that is by no means guaranteed. In general the draw odds for cow tags are better than for a bull tag. I used gohunt to help with my research but many apps will do the same. If you draw a tag E scout in the unit well before you go. Get a group together and go. Plan to arrive a few days before season and scout the area on foot before the season starts. Chat with other hunters and take all the reasonable advice you can get. Enjoy the scenery and the hunt even if your not successful. Learn and repeat if your able.

Exactly. This unit i was in is right near the area you were in. Pulled in and glassed 2 herds within minutes lol, i couldn't believe it. Game warden told my local buddy i was shithouse lucky

Edit to add: I did go back and kill a cow in that unit again this year, but didnt kill until day 8. Thats more like what im used to, I like to plan 10 days minimum per hunt if possible
As my father in law says, “I’d rather be lucky than good!” Just kidding man, and being in the right place at the right time is key. We had to run to town one day after it snowed and at some point between us going to town and coming back a huge herd of elk had crossed the highway. It wasn’t just a “trail”, it was a swath of tracks about 50’ wide and too many to determine how many. That had to of been something to see as they landed safely on private. 😡

fmyth

WKR
Staid at Widhorse hotel right there in Dulce before they closed it down, then we got rooms over in Chama. I heard they may open the Wildhorse back up again. That would save a lot of driving. The first year we got a room down in Cuba, just off the reservation, we hunted south unit only.
Thank you for the info.

Wrench

WKR
I live in elk country and know elk very well. It took me 19 days last year to get a rifle cow.....it can be difficult.

I'm also almost 50, put in for bull tags every year since I was 18 and NEVER drawn one.

There are no guarantees.

11boo

WKR
lol that’s what I’ve heard I don’t know if my bank acct is ready for that

It is pretty spendy if it is not in your backyard For sure. I have a guy who comes out for archery elk, from Iowa. He says It’s about 2200 all in. Brings all his food, a hotel night each way, tags fuel etc. I’m kinda surprised he pulls it off that cheap.

A few days really is not enough time is all.

It is pretty spendy if it is not in your backyard For sure. I have a guy who comes out for archery elk, from Iowa. He says It’s about 2200 all in. Brings all his food, a hotel night each way, tags fuel etc. I’m kinda surprised he pulls it off that cheap.

A few days really is not enough time is all.
I spend probably between $1000-$2500 a year on an out of state elk hunt. I’ll probably be closer to $1000 this year (cow hunt with a partner to split costs.)

$300 tag
$500 gas and misc expenses
$200 hotel (once on the way out or back, partner gets the other one.)

I don’t count food as I have to eat if I go or not.

What’s not mentioned is the thousands I’ve spent on gear my first few years. Most midwestern guys are woefully unprepared in the gear/clothing side of the house to do a DIY nonresident elk hunt.

As much as I’m a DIY guy, I always tell people to go with an outfitter first. A to learn, and B to learn if it’s really for you. I’ve taken more than one guy with me who spent a bunch on gear/tags/gas just to discover it was way harder than they expected, and that spending 10 days of “vacation” exhausted hiking through the mountains, sleeping in the cold, and maybe not seeing an elk wasn’t for them.

It’s awesome, but it ain’t for everyone.