Who else is a Tikka convert?

Over the past few months I have thinned the heard of my R700 clone based customs and accessories for Tikkas. I've seen some of the threads here on RS, but never really gave them much attention. Earlier this year a good friend of mine, who like me, has had a plethora of R700 clone customs picked up a Tikka 17hmr as a plinking gun for his kids to use around the house. He sighted it in then shot some small groups and was blown away. Told me about it, so naturally I had to try one too.

Picked up a t3x in 6.5cm, and it hammers with factory hornady ammo. I figured out I could add a $10 trigger spring and have a trigger that is just as good or better than a $200 triggertech or timney, free float the stock and add a vertical grip, an arca/pic rail, and bam, a lightweight stock that functions extremely well.

Earlier this year I owned carbon or steel prefits for bighorn origins in 300 sherman mag, 6.5 PRC, 6cm, and 223 with AG comp, mcmillan, XLR, KRG stocks/chassis (I've also owned 28 nosler, 300 wm, and 6.5cm barrels but those have been gone for a while). The only one that I still own is the 6.5 prc carbon barrel and 1 origin action.

I'm now the proud owner of three tikkas, and for the money, out of the box accuracy, alleged reliability of the trigger system, and my intended use of primarily hunting and LR plinking, they're hard to beat.

How many others have a similar story? I know I can't be the only one out there.

6.5 cm T3X lite with ATACR 4-16 MilR, cut and threaded to 18" with DIY Krylon camo:
6.5 CM.jpg6.5 cm group.jpg

T3X Roughtech Ember, 6.5 PRC with ATACR 4-16 MilC, will leave at factory length for now so I can potentially compete in a NRL match, factory division:
6.5 prc.jpgprc group.jpg

T3X lite stainless 223 w/ SWFA fixed 10x, old pics but its been sent off to get chopped/threaded to 18":
223.jpg223 group.jpg

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
In 2006 I shot my first Tikka and was impressed with accuracy, trigger and crazy smooth action. I hated the plastic bolt shroud and one action length, so I wouldn’t buy one. I thought the long action for all calibers was a waste.

I finally caved earlier this year and have two T3X CTRs in .308 and .223. I could have saved a lot of time and money if I would have started there way back at that time. Only thing I may change is getting a Lite version. CTRs get heavy after hiking a few miles.

Just gave a Bergara to a friend and picked up a Tikka. 2 lbs lighter, great trigger and not picky on ammo. I've always liked Tikka's but for some reason only owned 1, now its 2!

OP
S
I have a few of them. I like them for what they are, but not sure if I will buy another one. Lotta nice guns out there......
There are lots of nicer rifles out there, had/built several that were nicer. At my current stage of shooting and other life commitments, the tikkas fit the void nicely. I don't feel that bad about scratching up a $1k rifle as I did some of my $4k+ builds w/o optics or cans.
Three Tikkas.

They’re so cute at this age.

P
Its a start! How many are you sitting on?

For the money I think one of the best things going is to just get a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM and put it in a KRG stock. If I didn't already have two nice 6.5CM rifles I'd just do that and spend the extra money on a really nice scope.

My father has a Tikka CTR (20" threaded) in 6.5CM and a Barrett Fieldcraft (18" threaded) in 6.5CM, he bought both due to me steering him away from other brands to those. That combo is really hard to beat, one long range rig and the other a perfect lightweight suppressor host.

TreeDog

FNG
I have 2. A T3 lite in 308 that was my Christmas/Birthday/Graduation present in 2007/2008. Added a T3X superlite in 6.5CM a few years ago. Dabbled with some semi custom 700's and others. Only one of those left, while the Tikka's have stayed.

SloppyJ

WKR
I just started with the custom action journey myself. I couldn't find a deal on a Tikka to make it worth the money to build one compared to an Origin. However, the benefit of them comes alive if you want a gun you can upgrade over time instead of splurging all at once on in my book. I wouldn't mind a 6.5PRC in one to complement my 300prc build and my 280ai. Or maybe a 6 Creed for deer hunting.

Unckebob

WKR
Over the past few months I have thinned the heard of my R700 clone based customs and accessories for Tikkas. I've seen some of the threads here on RS, but never really gave them much attention. Earlier this year a good friend of mine, who like me, has had a plethora of R700 clone customs picked up a Tikka 17hmr as a plinking gun for his kids to use around the house. He sighted it in then shot some small groups and was blown away. Told me about it, so naturally I had to try one too.

Picked up a t3x in 6.5cm, and it hammers with factory hornady ammo. I figured out I could add a $10 trigger spring and have a trigger that is just as good or better than a $200 triggertech or timney, free float the stock and add a vertical grip, an arca/pic rail, and bam, a lightweight stock that functions extremely well.

Earlier this year I owned carbon or steel prefits for bighorn origins in 300 sherman mag, 6.5 PRC, 6cm, and 223 with AG comp, mcmillan, XLR, KRG stocks/chassis (I've also owned 28 nosler, 300 wm, and 6.5cm barrels but those have been gone for a while). The only one that I still own is the 6.5 prc carbon barrel and 1 origin action.

I'm now the proud owner of three tikkas, and for the money, out of the box accuracy, alleged reliability of the trigger system, and my intended use of primarily hunting and LR plinking, they're hard to beat.

How many others have a similar story? I know I can't be the only one out there.

6.5 cm T3X lite with ATACR 4-16 MilR, cut and threaded to 18" with DIY Krylon camo:
View attachment 630427View attachment 630429

T3X Roughtech Ember, 6.5 PRC with ATACR 4-16 MilC, will leave at factory length for now so I can potentially compete in a NRL match, factory division:
View attachment 630436View attachment 630437

T3X lite stainless 223 w/ SWFA fixed 10x, old pics but its been sent off to get chopped/threaded to 18":
View attachment 630457View attachment 630458

I have two Origin builds (I love them, but both are long actions), but ordered a Tikka 6.5PRC which arrived at my gun store today.

I hope the Tikka Roughtech shoots because the Kimber Hunter I sold was insanely accurate for me.

I sold the Kimber because I couldn't get pencil the barrel threaded in a way that made me comfortable. Unless I buy an antique, any gun I buy now must be able to be suppressed. I am deaf in one ear. I don't want to risk the other ear.

Last edited:
There are lots of nicer rifles out there, had/built several that were nicer. At my current stage of shooting and other life commitments, the tikkas fit the void nicely. I don't feel that bad about scratching up a $1k rifle as I did some of my $4k+ builds w/o optics or cans.

It’s a start! How many are you sitting on?

Heck, at one point I had 3 in the same cartridge.

P

03mossy

WKR
I’m fully on the Tikka bandwagon now. Have had Rems, Savages, Weatherby, and Bergara. Bought my son a Tikka Compact 7-08 and myself a Veil Wideland this spring. Sunday I shot the smallest group of my life with mine testing hand loads. Very impressed.

I’m also in the same boat… adopted tikkas early on, then got away from them for a few years to try other rifles, now back on the tikka train and don’t see a reason to change in the future. They are great utilitarian rifles, nothing fancy but function well and lots of aftermarket options for them… they are my kind of rifle, and don’t see any reason for me to buy anything else… they fit my needs, and have never had a problem with one, and every tikka I’ve been around has shot well, and have a great factory trigger