Who hunts with newer/older archery equipment

evan711

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious if anybody prefers older archery equipment? I have a new Hoyt helix but love my old Mathews mq1. New bows are nice but I still see a lot of guys still shooting dinosaurs. What’s everybody else’s take am I the only one who longs for nostalgia?

Fullfan

WKR
I shoot a 10 year old Bowtech Allegiance, shoots just fine and it is paid for. No need to shell out 1500.00 for a new bow if my old one still gets the job done..

Still shooting my Mathews Classic I got in 04. Been thinking about upgrading next year...gonna need a new string and arrows.

*zap*

WKR
Still shooting my matthews lx from 05........love it but this HAS to be the last year. Gonna have to step up into the world of 2 cams.
I have entertained the idea of upgrading. The draw cycle on the GTO sucks. Basically full draw weight right to the end. The new stuff is out of my budget. I would rather use the $ available for hunting.

2017 new to me Reign 6. It's not old but it likely will be before I change it out. I've got to many other things going on to add new bow setup to my yearly schedule. But bottom line is I doubt anything that comes out in the next 10 year will make me a better shot or change my hunting experince. Maybe, I just don't see it.

Shooting a Hoyt Vtec. Probably 15 years old now. Just dumped a bunch of money on new string, cables, sight and rest though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
2017 new to me Reign 6. It's not old but it likely will be before I change it out. I've got to many other things going on to add new bow setup to my yearly schedule. But bottom line is I doubt anything that comes out in the next 10 year will make me a better shot or change my hunting experince. Maybe, I just don't see it.
I think the bows that have come out in the last 5 years may be as good as it gets in terms of smoothness, speed, vibration etc. I don't see it getting much better either...all marketing. If you look at the weights and speeds of the bows in the past 5 years I don't see a lot of improvement if any. I've had a 2013 Prime Defy...I shot that bow a ton...traded up to a 2015 Prime Rival....I'm currently shooting a 2016 or 2017 Prime Centergy....In all honesty I can't tell much difference between any of them....I mostly just wanted to go to a neutral color instead of camo.....My Dad used to hunt with a High Country Sniper in Ohio....Our bag limit was usually 7 plus you could hunt Urban....There's no telling how many deer that bow killed.....pick up truck loads full.

It's not the bow its the Indian.

Last edited:

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a PSE Bow Madness that I bought new in 2010.
Before that I used a PSE Brute Force Maxxis that I bought new in 1996.
I figure I’ve got at least another four years with my current setup.😁

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I was shooting a 95' Oneida Aeroforce X80, picked up a 99' Stealth and had issues with it and just recently got a Hyperforce. Though I do think I will get a BEII or BE this spring.

Pgidley

FNG
Still shooting my 2008 Elite Z28. I actually had a 2011 Hoyt Matrix and a 2015 Spyder, bought an older Z28 at 50 lbs for my wife and was so impressed with it that I sold the newer bows and bought another Z28. Something about that bow just clicks for me.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Shooting a E35 that was a Rep bow, doesn’t say E35 on it. Just picked up a set of 70# limbs for it, it’s a 65# bow, and new threads for it. Will switch it out this winter after all seasons are over.
The bow shoots better than I ever will, so why change.

tntrker

WKR
I had shot a new Mathews Reezen until this year. The difference from that and the Mathews Vertix was undeniable so I have the Vertix as my final bow purchase.