Who leaves the stove at home?

Brendan

WKR
No idea how you're getting by on that calorie count. I ate ~4200 calories per day on my elk hunt, and still lost close to a pound a day. Maybe I'm just not as acclimated to it.

5'11" - Went from 184 to 174 on a 10 day elk hunt. Food was 2 lbs per day.

On <4 day elk hunts in CO I always went without a stove. I still ate Mt House rehydrated with cold water and soaked for 20 minutes or so. It was often a bit crunchy but still tasted good. 30 minutes of rehydration was better but it seldom sat that long before getting eaten. Up here in BC I usually take my Whisperlight. 4, 8 or 16 ounce fuel canisters depending on the hunt (1 ounce of fuel /day/person). Guess I enjoy the luxury of the stove anymore, although it does add to the pack.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I packed it this year... It had been several years since I 'd taken a stove but since the discovery of New Orleans Shrimp and Rice and Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice, I'm back in the game! I lost 10 lbs on a 5 day hunt and it would have been worse without a MH meal in the evenings and it was a nice settling feeling to have that warm meal...

I packed it this year... It had been several years since I 'd taken a stove but since the discovery of New Orleans Shrimp and Rice and Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice, I'm back in the game! I lost 10 lbs on a 5 day hunt and it would have been worse without a MH meal in the evenings and it was a nice settling feeling to have that warm meal...

I dont see how it would have been worse without the stove unless you choose not to eat if you cant have a MH meal. A MH pro pack only has about 420 cal and is about 4oz. You can easily carry other foods that dont require a stove and give you the same or more cal per oz. as any MH meal that I have.