Who’s got the best jerky recipe?

Elite

WKR
If anyone has a perfect jerky recipe please post it up! I’m tired of the pre packaged stuff going to make a homemade one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA4LIFE

WKR
OK, I'll throw one out there.

This for 8 lbs of sliced meat, I hand cut mine about 1/4" thick.

For the marinade:

1 2/3 tsp Prague Powder (pink salt)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
5 tsp Black pepper
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 1/2 Tbsp liquid smoke
2 1/2 Tbsp Johnnys Seasoning salt
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup Yoshidas
6 cups water

I let the meat sit in this overnight. Drain it very well. If you like it peppery, add in as much ground black pepper at this point as you want and mix well. I don't use my smokers anymore, but dehydrate it at 110 degrees for as long as you like, it usually takes about 10 hours or so. Pull it out when it gets a bit leathery-like.

I’ve made this one probably 15 times. Alton Brown knows his stuff, simple and delicious. Occasionally I’ll add some garlic (fresh or powder) but otherwise as is. The first time I ever did it I actually tried his box fan/furnace filter method and it works but after I satisfied that curiosity I bought a dehydrator and let it dry for 8-9 hrs at about 105 degrees F.

Video to go with it

Montucky

WKR

For the marinade:

1 Tbsp garlic powder
5 tsp Black pepper
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 1/2 Tbsp liquid smoke
1 Tbsp onion powder
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup Yoshidas
6 cups water

I let the meat sit in this overnight. Drain it very well. If you like it peppery, add in as much ground black pepper at this point as you want and mix well. I don't use my smokers anymore, but dehydrate it at 110 degrees for as long as you like, it usually takes about 10 hours or so. Pull it out when it gets a bit leathery-like.
How come you don’t use your smokers for jerky…? Is it too much babysitting & cost of pellets vs just 10hrs on dehydrator…curious

Montucky

WKR

I’ve made this one probably 15 times. Alton Brown knows his stuff, simple and delicious. Occasionally I’ll add some garlic (fresh or powder) but otherwise as is. The first time I ever did it I actually tried his box fan/furnace filter method and it works but after I satisfied that curiosity I bought a dehydrator and let it dry for 8-9 hrs at about 105 degrees F.

Video to go with it

This recipe seems like it’s decently healthy….not loaded with a bunch of preservatives & nitrates & chems etc. Also like his website. Have you tried fish on the dehydrator?

blkqi

WKR
My go to recipe is from the book Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn:

1kg lean round sliced thin
20g kosher salt
5g garlic powder
5g onion powder
60g finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
24hr marinade in fridge

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Very good seasoning. Last batch I made, sliced the meat 1/4" thick cross the grain, used this seasoning in a brine with a bit more brown sugar added. Refridgerated overnight, pat dry on a dish towel and put in a smoker for about 4 hours until leathery. Definitely don't smoke/dry too much!

Montucky

WKR
The above mentioned Alton Brown recipe calls for slicing thinly with the grain….interesting

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I don't care for jerky that is sliced with the grain, takes too long to eat and tough on teeth. I don't cut my steaks with the grain, why cut jerky that way, but I'm just an old guy. Looking at what he is doing, making jerky sticks, they would hold together better cutting with the grain. I like the ease of eating when cut cross grain.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
How come you don’t use your smokers for jerky…? Is it too much babysitting & cost of pellets vs just 10hrs on dehydrator…curious
Yes, too much babysitting and I typically make it in the fall/winter/spring when it's raining most of the time. I get a more consistent product with the dehydrator. Get it going and forget it for the day. That's it.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR

For the marinade:

1 Tbsp garlic powder
5 tsp Black pepper
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 1/2 Tbsp liquid smoke
1 Tbsp onion powder
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup Yoshidas
6 cups water

Thanks a lot, I always thought it had to hit internal temp of 160f?

Not a jerky recipe exactly, but similar. Once I started making biltong I haven't made another batch of regular whole-muscle jerky, still do ground jerky from time to time tho. I follow this recipe exactly with venison and it works great. Definitely worth a try if you're getting bored with jerky recipes. 50% weight loss will leave some chew in the middle and 65% it'll be dry all the way through.

92xj

WKR
I’ve tried more jerky recipes than I care to admit. I finally just decided to experiment with what I and the family like, which is Asian ish and pepper. What my family loves the best is.

slice partially thawed meat into desired thickness
Throw in ziplock and add yoshidas to bag. Push out all the air, massage around and throw in fridge, Every time you walk by fridge, massage a little and flip bag. Do this for 48hours min. Open bag and put pieces on dehydrator rack, sprinkle with course black pepper, flip piece and more black pepper. Dehydrate or smoke for 4-5 hours, flipping after the first hour so it doesn’t stick to rack. After “cooking”, cool, throw in bag and put in fridge until the next day. Eat, vacuum seal, etc. we really enjoy this.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I’ve tried more jerky recipes than I care to admit. I finally just decided to experiment with what I and the family like, which is Asian ish and pepper. What my family loves the best is.

slice partially thawed meat into desired thickness
Throw in ziplock and add yoshidas to bag. Push out all the air, massage around and throw in fridge, Every time you walk by fridge, massage a little and flip bag. Do this for 48hours min. Open bag and put pieces on dehydrator rack, sprinkle with course black pepper, flip piece and more black pepper. Dehydrate or smoke for 4-5 hours, flipping after the first hour so it doesn’t stick to rack. After “cooking”, cool, throw in bag and put in fridge until the next day. Eat, vacuum seal, etc. we really enjoy this.

I don’t think we have that sauce in Canada! Any issues with not using cure ?

92xj

WKR
I don’t think we have that sauce in Canada! Any issues with not using cure ?

None. I’ll do 10lb batches. When off the dehydrator or smoker, I cool the meat and then store in a gallon ziplock in the fridge. After a few days of snacking on it, I’ll vacuum seal portions and freeze until needed.

I have no idea how to get things in Canada, but if you can order some yoshidas from Amazon or online somewhere you should give it a shot, if you’re into Asian teriyaki soy but not overly salty flavors. It with heat from pepper is so stinking good. Be warned, the jerky will be sticky, don’t give to kids when riding in the truck unless you want you seats smelling like teriyaki for awhile.