Why do some prefer angled over straight?

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a straight. Easier to aim for me. But if you are with friends. Angled is easier for people to peek in over your shoulder without knocking the scope. Remember. Easier to aim only if it has a sight option.

marktole

WKR
Angled is far easier to use off a window mount while sitting in the seat if you are glassing from your pickup on a road or something. Straight would be hard to get behind the dang thing in your seat.

rayporter

WKR
the trouble with looin through them at the strore is time. you can stare through one for 10 minutes and it seems like forever but on the mountain you will be looking through it for hours. that is when you really find out what you like.

if I am comfortable and can get the tripod set up perfect I can look through a straight for a couple hours before a break is needed. I can go longer with angled.
give me 30x binocs and I can look through them for 11 hours nonstop.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
The guys that accompanied me on the moose hunt did not have much experience with spotting scopes (I have more but not a lot). I brought 2 angled Alpen scopes, we also had 2 straight bushnell scopes all on tripods. The glassing was mostly from the side of one slope across a valley to another slope or uphill/downhill but not extreme. All but one guy found it more intuitive and comfortable to use the angled spotters. YMMV

Like many have already said i think an angled scope is better for looking up such as glassing a slope above you. That is why almost all birders use an angled scope. Another advantage is an angled scope is much easier for several people of different heights to use (hunting with your kids,) I prefer a straight scope because i think it is faster to get on target and to transition to after spotting something with binos on a tripod. My neck gets sore faster using an angled scope.

Only time I preferred straight is on the window mount of my truck. But any other time, angled is great for me mostly because I'm 6'4" and I can use a much smaller and lighter tripod.