Why is my dishwasher leaking?

The short answer is because this thing is a POS.. Frigidaire Gallery, less than 3 years old and I've already replaced the lower orbital sprayer twice, the thermostat, and the circuit board. Now its leaking out of the bottom of the door. I had it taken apart the other day (upper spray arm wasn't spinning), and figured I just didn't get something put back together correctly, but I've taken it back apart and put it back together twice and everything looks like it should? I think the corners of the gaskets look good?

It will be getting replaced with a Bosch someday, but I'm trying to limp it along for a bit yet..

Do I just need a new wiper gasket? Door gasket?

dishwasher.jpg

dishwasher2.jpg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My guess is when you reassembled it the seal/gasket are out of alignment with the sealing surface. There is a small contact area for the seal and seating surface and they need to be aliened just so. That is the best trouble shooting I can do from about 1700 miles away. good luck.

madgrad02

WKR
I am not sure if it is the same situation, but we had a similar issue with our dishwasher awhile back and it related to the drain hose and it's orientation not allowing an adequate amount of water to drain and pooling in the bottom of the dishwasher while running

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Had a similar issue when a small chip off a plate got stuck in the pump. Took it all apart and extracted that from the pump, threw the damaged plate away and the DW worked again.

OP
cornfedkiller
Had a similar issue when a small chip off a plate got stuck in the pump. Took it all apart and extracted that from the pump, threw the damaged plate away and the DW worked again.

I don't think that's my issue since I just had the whole lower pump/assembly apart last week, but I'm curious - that caused yours to leak out the bottom of the door??

Ours started leaking, turned ot there was a small clean out that was clogged up but should be emptied occasionally.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Ours started leaking, turned ot there was a small clean out that was clogged up but should be emptied occasionally.
I don't believe a lot of people know there is a strainer in the bottom of their dishwasher which needs to be cleaned every so often. If you put real dirty dishes in washer it needs to be done quit often.

OP
cornfedkiller
Update: Thank you to everyone for the help and suggestions...There are two winners in this thread..

Had a similar problem that turned out to be a split in the lower spray arm. New spray arm fixed it.

There was indeed a small split in the lower spray arm. New one is ordered..

IMG_8383.jpeg

Duct tape that puppy....

I had to do something to test if the split was for sure the problem, so out came the duct tape (nevermind the color, I stole it from my daughter's stash). Seems to be working fine so I might just leave it on there until the new arm shows up!

IMG_8382.jpeg

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Update: Thank you to everyone for the help and suggestions...There are two winners in this thread..

There was indeed a small split in the lower spray arm. New one is ordered..

View attachment 690278

I had to do something to test if the split was indeed the problem, so out came the duct tape (nevermind the color, I stole it from my daughter's stash). Seems to be working fine so I might just leave it on there until the new arm shows up!

View attachment 690279
Sounds like mystery may be solved.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think that's my issue since I just had the whole lower pump/assembly apart last week, but I'm curious - that caused yours to leak out the bottom of the door??
Seems you found the problem. What happened with ours, the impeller was blocked by that hard piece of plate. Water eventually found its way out a seal once it reached an overflowing level.

My guess is when you reassembled it the seal/gasket are out of alignment with the sealing surface. There is a small contact area for the seal and seating surface and they need to be aliened just so. That is the best trouble shooting I can do from about 1700 miles away. good luck.

LIES

I know you can do better.. Why aren't you fixing it with your eyes!!??!

Side note. My wife kept complaining about our last dishwasher "not cleaning" .. Well its hard for a dishwasher to clean stuff when you dump all your food $h!t into the dishwasher instead of rinsing it off before putting it in the dishwasher.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same dw. When I put to tall of items in the top rack it causes the sprayer to hit and not rotate. Top sprayer then would spray into the vent on the door and cause this exact problem. My was a pos since day one as well.