Why is Seek Outside giving gun control advocate Ryan Busse air time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfriend

FNG
having a discussion on your podcast doesn't mean your in support of your guests view points.

Gotta agree with @realunlucky here. Now I honestly don't know that much about the company's values or the podcast, but I see that they have 124 episodes. I hardly think that one episode where they bring in someone with a different viewpoint to explain their side means they are suddenly anti gun.

I mean, what are we so afraid of/offended by here? I doubt that the people listening to the podcast are suddenly going to become anti gun due to hearing an opposing view - and if they do, they were obviously way underinformed on the topic. I would hope that most of us outdoorsmen and women are capable of making good decisions based on the available information, and I think it is good to learn about an issue from all sides. Sure it is easier to live life in an echo chamber where we never hear something we disagree with, but that is not going to lead to solid/logical thinking and will likely end up hampering us when defending our side.

LoggerDan

WKR
How did this Busse fellow come to leave Kimber? voted out, fired? Does he have an axe to grind?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d encourage you to go look at this guys twitter.

This isn’t the guy who “just has a different perspective” he’s a guy who literally despises pro gun people and anyone with a right leaning opinion. Most of us fall into that category.

I have no problem discussing guns or anything else with someone who respectfully disagrees. I don’t think Ryan Busse falls into that category.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself, but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Sun Tzu

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself, but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Sun Tzu

This is true.

But to put the issue at hand, they linked to his book “gunfight” which is pushing his gun control lies in the podcast description.

I’ll listen to the podcast later in the week, so that I can come to this thread informed about what was actually discussed, as I feel that’s fair.

If this was an open debate about the merits of gun control, then I will continue to be a SO customer.

I however have a feeling this was a platform for Busse to spew his lies and push his book more or less unchallenged. If that’s the case, SO at the very least owes us an explanation.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll listen to the podcast later in the week, so that I can come to this thread informed about what was actually discussed, as I feel that’s fair.

If this was an open debate about the merits of gun control, then I will continue to be a SO customer.

I however have a feeling this was a platform for Busse to spew his lies and push his book more or less unchallenged. If that’s the case, SO at the very least owes us an explanation.
Why not listen right now? You have been participating in this thread for about 3 hours now, and it’s only a 1 hour podcast…
Not to mention, you have had 16 months to listen to it since it aired…

Makes sense, let’s give our money to someone who gives airtime to a convicted poacher instead

Josh Bowmar KifaruCast

I got the feeling that was an investigation as much as anything else. Listening to that, it's pretty clear to me Josh Bowmar is a liar. I think it was Aaron's intent to give him an opportunity to share his side of the story knowing he would hang himself.

OP
B
Why not listen right now? You have been participating in this thread for about 3 hours now, and it’s only a 1 hour podcast…
Not to mention, you have had 16 months to listen to it since it aired…
Maybe because I’m not in a place that I can listen to a podcast?

I just saw it, and knowing who Ryan Busse is and what he is about, I figured other folks here might want to know.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
First rule of business, don’t involve politics. Especially someone working to harm your customer base. He aired on episode 63 of their podcast to talk about gun control in America.

For those of you not aware, Ryan Busse used to be an executive at Kimber but left the gun industry in protest, and now actively works with anti gun groups.

If you want to know just how “special” this guy is check out his twitter…

https://twitter.com/ryandbusse?s=21&t=x-nJq2t_pJagMrNbkCzt2Q

For the record I’m not calling for the “canceling” of SO. But I am disappointed seeing a company that I’ve spent a small fortune at, that markets to hunters, give a guy who is openly anti gun a platform with their name on it. That was their decision, not mine, and I feel like those of us who feel strongly about gun rights, which includes most of us, need to be aware when companies either actively or passively work against our rights.

ETA this is one of his latest tweets… Apparently American flags are offensive and intimidating. He needs laughed out of the hunting community.View attachment 518368

Last I checked, proudly displaying the Colors was not "flexing for buddies" or whatever other nonsense this individual is spouting.

I don't need to listen to any podcast to surmise my opinion. I don't like him or his views, and would love to educate him on what those Colors mean to a 5th generation Marine. In person.

**The aforementioned opinion is of mine alone, and not reflective of my position, or opinion as a moderator.**

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's kinda one thing when MeatEater has an vegetarian guest on their show. We all know where MeatEater stands on meat. It's not really clear to me SO's stance on the 2nd Amendment.
If you have a conversation with someone who has opposing views does that make everyone you know question what your views are?

OP
B
If you have a conversation with someone who has opposing views does that make everyone you know question what your views are?

A conversation is one thing. Letting a gun control advocate push his book about gun control and the “evil gun industry” is another.

I have a feeling this was more of the latter.

sacklunch

WKR
"Staked in a truck wind blown and tattered" is a violation of flag etiquette and as such disrespects the flag. I don't have to agree with his assumed motivation to agree with that first bit.

True, and you have every right to do what you have. But, trying to pretend encouraging a boycott is something other that it is, well that is not respectable and it suggests one is uncomfortable with their actions.

If you do something, own it. If you are unwilling to own it, don't do it.
Let's be clear, it not "flag etiquette" thats a term you made up...its US Code.

Ucsdryder

WKR
In these situation it’s not right or wrong, it’s WHY? What is seek getting out of this? All of these companies should look at Michael Jordan for the blue print.

Status
Not open for further replies.