Why?

AkRyan

WKR
I'm a new guy so take it easy on me!
I have seen the long range hunting fad really pick up steam in the last 2yrs and I always ask myself "why?" . Are these animals that hard to stock? Are there physical limitations of the hunter? Or is it just a "I shot my deer at 800yrds" bragging rights thing??

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you happen to read this sticky?
b4715735cbe4ef2ed50f390c9aeb0587.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
@realunlucky he never said he had a problem with it, just that they didn't understand it.

@Hostile1 I tend to think of it as just providing additional opportunities. If your maximum effective range is 300yds and an elk presents itself at 500, you risk losing your shot at that animal because that extra 200yds of stalking you'll need to do gives it more chances to notice you and more chances for you to screw up. If you're capable of shooting 600yds effectively and you've put your shooting gear together with the goal of facilitating that range then that 500yd opportunity shouldn't pose any issues. Additionally, the effort required to get good enough at shooting longer distances to reliably kill animals generally means that those hunters are putting in more time behind their rifles and will be better shots at all ranges. Better shots mean more ethical kills, which should really be the goal of every hunter.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I'm a new guy so take it easy on me!
I have seen the long range hunting fad really pick up steam in the last 2yrs and I always ask myself "why?" . Are these animals that hard to stock? Are there physical limitations of the hunter? Or is it just a "I shot my deer at 800yrds" bragging rights thing??
This is priceless....new guy with the screen name "Hostile1" is asking to be coddled.

Maybe I can answer your question-most long gunners-whether civilian/MIL/LEO are some very disciplined folks. That type of precision and discipline generally spills over to other attributes. I've never met a single precision marksman or sniper that was a fat ass.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and I could be wrong, but I bet you never engaged a target at 800 yards, nor summited Everest, or won a spelling bee. (It's STALK)
There is a lot of work, intelligence and environmental factors that make long range shooting both challenging and rewarding. Drop the smart arse intro, and maybe someone will show you the ropes, and heck-you may enjoy it.

archp625

WKR
I am not really sure what you are asking or where you are trying to go with this. I will throw in my two cents. Long range hunting is here to stay. The advancement in rifles and bullets are making it easier than "a long time ago."

I will say this. Long range hunting is more on the Indian than the arrow. A lot of guys and gals want to talk about their new rifle that will shoot 1000 yards. My thought is yeah it probably does but can you make it do that. Like someone else said it takes a ton of time and understanding of every component in your hunting system to make a long shot. So many people think they can shoot far until they really try.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its a valuable skill that increases the chances I can take an animal.

Yes, some people probably shoot long for bragging rights.

Everything hunting related is big, just like there are more bow hunting videos there are more videos of long range.

Long range shooting and hunting has been around a long time, and guys have been shooting long range for a long time. Technology has made getting the gear incredibly easier and more available in the last five years.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am not really sure what you are asking or where you are trying to go with this. I will throw in my two cents. Long range hunting is here to stay. The advancement in rifles and bullets are making it easier than "a long time ago."

I will say this. Long range hunting is more on the Indian than the arrow. A lot of guys and gals want to talk about their new rifle that will shoot 1000 yards. My thought is yeah it probably does but can you make it do that. Like someone else said it takes a ton of time and understanding of every component in your hunting system to make a long shot. So many people think they can shoot far until they really try.
100% more on the shooter. First round impacts in field shooting are far different than shooting on a square range.

I sponsored the Tips section to put out the things a new long range hunter needs to know to practice and become competent. And, advanced tips to get the hunter into more field positions making first round impacts.

archp625

WKR
100% more on the shooter. First round impacts in field shooting are far different than shooting on a square range.

I sponsored the Tips section to put out the things a new long range hunter needs to know to practice and become competent. And, advanced tips to get the hunter into more field positions making first round impacts.
Yes sir. First round impacts are huge in my book. Someone can say I can shoot 1000 yards, but it takes them 11 tries to finally get on target. That is fine to me if they are just messing around and only shoot paper. If that were an animal, hell no. That animal is wounded or long gone by the 11th try.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also, its NOT a fad. Its like saying compound bows are a fad. Its new because the technology and manufacturing has made the tools easily available. YouTube and forums have spread the knowledge base outside of the military sniper community.

Now, civilians with serious precision rifle hobbies are better than most basic mil trained snipers--not to knock them because they are still better than the vast majority of hunters. Its just that civilians buy more gear and shoot more than snipers do. Practice is huge!

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Also, its NOT a fad. Its like saying compound bows are a fad. Its new because the technology and manufacturing has made the tools easily available. YouTube and forums have spread the knowledge base outside of the military sniper community.

Now, civilians with serious precision rifle hobbies are better than most basic mil trained snipers--not to knock them because they are still better than the vast majority of hunters. Its just that civilians buy more gear and shoot more than snipers do. Practice is huge!

WHAT??? Negative ghost rider.

jmez

WKR
Why not? Your shooting "stock" and that really isn't hard. Their domesticated.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

sigh... he both acknowledged he was new, and asked for everyone to go easy on him... I have a feeling his 'stock' spelling was a typo considering some of us do this from the can on our phone and autocorrect loves to wreck our posts on forums.

He asked why you do it - and it's a text box so why did everyone get so pissed. Are you sure he meant to be an ass about it?

Only defending the guy as I read it and thought 'that's interesting, I've never done it, wonder what advantages there are besides the obvious fact you can shoot farther.'

outside this forum, hunters and gun owners get hell from the public. So can we not give it to each other here? Sheesh!

Side note, I had no idea the level of commitment it takes to be shoot that far. I imagined it was hard, but didn't considered it'd be like taking a 120 yard shot with a bow.

rclouse79

WKR
I like to do some long range target practice so I feel confident on medium range shots at game. Plus shooting a long ways is fun when you can hit your target. For some reason I don’t think a website titled “Medium Range Hunter” would be able to compete with the actual website “Long Range Hunter”.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Disregard my last. No way in hell I’ll argue with anyone who says civilians are better than military snipers.

Rock on. I’m out.
There is room to disagree maybe in scope and style of shooting.

But, I said civilians with serious precision rifle hobbies vs. basic mil snipers. I also said snipers are better than the vast majority of hunters.

Have you listened to many podcasts with Phil Valeyo, Caylen Wojcik, and/or Frank Galli? They talk about how much crosses from civilian to military now because the level of training and experimentation is higher in civilian shooting. I took my bags and customized them for a sniper training detatchment and demoed the bags for them. Only two snipers had used bags like that, and they had competed in civilian matches. One of my bags is given to all trainees of a civilian shooting school, and most shooters are mil. Most don't have the bags, but they leave with them.

Phil and Caylen will also talk about losing to the local plumber at precision rifle matches straight from the military as instructors. They are certainly not hacks and have no reason to say that. They are two of the most well known to transition from military to civilian shooting.

If you would like me to find a podcast or video with them discussing my point, I will do it. Maybe we don't disagree.

I have talked with, trained with, and competed with top civilian shooters and with current and former military sniper instructors. As a beginner, they taught me a bunch. Now, I have built on it.

Time, money, passion and dedication make better shooters. Dedicated passionate civilians have all of that, well above most military snipers.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
“There really was nothing else that the Marine Corps could offer me in regard to advancing or just sustaining my training. I’d been to all the schools, so the next stage was competitive shooting,”

Velayo himself explains the next step to continue advancing was civilian competive shooting in the PRS.

Screenshot_20210201-134709_Chrome.jpg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Starting at 34 minutes. Caylen Wojcik as a mil sniper after his first competition...

"I am gonna clean house." He thought going in.

After the competition, 180 degree change of mind.

"We don't know anything in comparison to these guys doing it as a hobby."

"That was humbling"

"If I relied on the military I would be behind the curve."

"You are not going to the shooter you want to be if you rely on law enforcement or military training."

"A non special forces sniper ... we had to beg for ammo for training".