Wildlife Artwork

jayhawk

WKR
I'm probably the least artistic person on earth. With that said, I've been looking at frontier/wildlife artwork a lot lately and have run across some artists and their work that are simply incredible.
David Wright is top of my list so far. His paintings are pure talent and tell greater stories with minimal colors and objects depicted on the canvas. This one is probably my favorite:

ComingInUnderAFullMoon.jpg

How about it? Any art/photography fans out there?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Owens Gromme. Some of his work, Wintertime, Approaching Storm, Bobwhite Quail, to name a few. I have, A Long Courtship, Will Turkeys.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like art to accentuate🤙 some were named bought several Parsons a couple of decades ago, along with Glazier, Pilch came along and could not pass. Lyman has some nice scenery ones from north Idaho 🤙 elk are my thing but big ole muleys😍

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 61

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a "Western" or "Wildlife" art fan, but for my money, there is none better than Carl Rungius. My avatar is a small oil study Rungius did. I've been privileged to handle a number of his pieces. He's an absolute master.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
There is an up and comer in Sheridan Wyoming his name is Sam Iddings. Check him out. Western and Western Wildlife.

So, while he does not do wildlife primarily, my favorite "western" artist is Jon Crane lives in the Black Hills and mostly does scenery watercolors and buildings. He does a lot of old cabins and mining stuff in the western US. Most of the people I know in SD have at least a piece or two of his. Josh Spies out of SD does some fantastic work. Terry Redlin has some good stuff, though not really my style. Theme here, all SD artists.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Wade Butler here out of Texas used to be a master waterfowl artist. He did lots of Texas scenes ranging from fishing to deer hunting to scenery. He painted a photo I took of me and my lab out duck hunting before he died. I have 3 or 4 of his prints around the house

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
An artist friend who passed away 5 years ago left me a bronze he'd done. It captures the moment he arrowed a beautiful buck with his recurve as it was kneeling at a water hole. I've seen the horns in his studio, and it's exactly to scale. A marvelous buck, and sculpture. The patina where the water is differs from the rest of the piece, and he even has tracks in the mud by the water. I think of him every time I contemplate the piece on my bookshelf. RIP my friend...

0.jpg

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

WCB

WKR
Les Kouba is one of my favorites. My Grandpa was a personal friend of his and Les designed the logo for one of his hunting lodges. He also painted a commissioned piece for the lodge.

Charles Russell for western specific paintings has to be at the top of the list.

Other than that Michael Sieve has some good stuff and in general I like specific paintings or sculptures regardless of artist...to me it is like music in general I like some musicians/singers better than others but a good song is a good song and some of the best make some absolute trash.

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
I paint some (all wildlife subjects - just for myself) and enjoy wildlife art. A few I would add that haven't been mentioned:
Luke Frazier
Greg Beecham
Dustin van Wechel
Tucker Smith
Bob Kuhn
Kyle Sims
There are others that I really like, but these are high on my list.