Will blood ruin my non-camo clothing?

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like most people agree camo doesn't matter a ton, especially for a rifle hunter. And avoiding re-buying the same stuff I already have would be great. Plus the gear I have is probably better than the camo gear I would buy. However, as soon as I was about to decide "yeah let's skip the camo" I realized that I might be wearing this stuff while cleaning a deer and packing it out. Wouldn't I risk getting my gear all bloody? I'd hate to stain the gear. So now I wonder, should I still get the camo just so I can have one set of clothing dedicated to going hunting that's OK if I stain it with blood?

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Get it. Usually doesn't stain, but it doesn't matter because it's camo. Good luck.

Just to be clear, I'm not worried about staining camo with blood. Just worried about staining my non-camo clothing if I do choose to not get the camo. However, I appreciate your "devil on the shoulder" advice to buy it :) I'm always looking for an excuse to buy gear ...

gmajor

WKR
It has come out of my solid colors, mostly wool and then rain shells. I don't think it's a reason to buy a redundant set of clothes, personally.

ozyclint

WKR
to wash blood out DO NOT use hot water. use ice cold water and hand wash the area with soap. removes blood very easy. hot water sets the proteins and then you'll have a stain.

elkyinzer

WKR
to wash blood out DO NOT use hot water. use ice cold water and hand wash the area with soap. removes blood very easy. hot water sets the proteins and then you'll have a stain.

This. I've got some brutal blood stains out even well after drying but the second it touches hot water it's set.

Had some pretty big blood stains on my Sitka this year and didn't get around washing it for a couple of weeks. To my surprise, it came right out with no issues. I think you will be fine with any earth tone solids

Carlin59

WKR
Instead of buying camo as your designated "Ok to get bloody" clothes, just continue to buy solids and designate them "ok to get dirty in general" outdoors clothing. Blood, sap, dirt, whatever. For example, I have three pairs of the Eddie Bauer guide pants. Khaki is casual wear that i try not to get dirty, gray is casual and dayhikes, and green is hunting/backpacking/who cares how dirty i get them. As a side note, the blood has washed out everytime no problem, and they still look great. I am also moving towards non-camo (especially pants) as you can wear it year round, (typically) get higher quality for compartively lower cost, and if you do everything else right I can't see it matter much in terms of killing game.

Yep. My hunting clothes are also my work clothes and my outdoor recreation gear. Mostly in solids. Just throw it in the washer on "cold" setting and you are good to go.

My stuff usually has some mud and grease stains, but blood comes out pretty easy.

Manosteel

WKR
blood gives your clothes character lol. I have gotten all of my hunting clothing bloody at one point or another, thankfully. not a big deal wash in cold water.

bbrown

WKR
Pro tip: Don't leave your bloody meino shirt laying on the floor if you have a dog.
Hahahaha - a buddy hung his fancy sitka jacket over the back of a chair after getting home late from a pack out. Woke up to a short sleeve jacket in the morning. Still laugh when I see him wearing it...

Only thing I haven't been able to wash blood out off was a pair of boots with nylon uppers. In fairness I was gutting on a tail gate and due to operator error dumped the gut pile unto my own legs. My under armor soft shell pants cleaned up fine. I didn't put the boots in a machine but a soak in a bucket s day later didn't get the blood out. As others say, it adds character.

Just like stated above, I think if you tend to the stain before washing it should be fine. Some clothes I have been lucky to throw in the wash on cold and they still come out clean without scrubbing beforehand