Will Kenetrek Mountain Extremes be too much boot?

RobinW

FNG
I am going on a Cow Elk pack trip in Cody, WY in late October. Hours of googling and talking to our guide has me feeling like I need a good boot like the Kenetrek Mtn Extreme, a pair of Crispi's or even a Lowa Tibet. I ordered the Mtn Extremes and they arrive Monday. but now I'm almost second guessing...

I don't doubt that the boots will be great for that trip, but will they still be useful to me when I get back home? we mostly still hunt out of tripods for deer, or occasionally spot and stalk on public land. everything is flat, elevation about 50ft.

I don't mind spending the money, but also don't really want to pay $500 for a pair of boots that I will use for one hunt. Will the Mtn Extremes also serve as a good general boot for flat ground when I get home?

or is there a better boot that would work for WY (a lot of downhill hiking I'm told) that's also general purpose enough for flatland still hunting? now that I type this all, it sounds like a ridiculous question, but I'm going to ask it anyways.

Thanks!

I bought a pair with 400g of insulation for August/September in Alaska. Last year I wore them Oct-Jan deer hunting in Oklahoma and loved them. Definitely not too much boot for flat ground. Awesome boot in my opinion.

Rock-o

WKR
That type of boot shines on uphills, downhills, and sidehills. The less of that there is the less I want to wear that type of boot.

Generally I don't prefer mountain boots for stand hunting or mild terrain. They will totally work, but not as warm and unnecessarily stiff for easy terrain.

When hunting in MA, NY or CT I am usually wearing Muck boots.

For MT,CO,AZ etc I am always running mountain boots with no regrets.

I broke my foot fighting bulls in a younger life. I struggle to find boots that support my foot and don’t hurt at the same time. I’ve worn Kenetrek mtn boots everyday for about 5 yrs. I farm/ranch in them and hunt/fish in them on all types of terrain. I break them in slowly, once they are broke in they fit like a glove and are very comfortable to me.

I think you will appreciate the support in the rough terrain.

They are a berry boot for sure. Used mine in Colorado last year. Big snow. Cold. Elevation ~8-11k. They were perfect. I really only use them for cold rough terrain. I were them once in a while Back east but they are really overkill.

if you want to save $$ you might be able to get away with a cheaper boot but you may wish you had spent the $$$

2-Stix

WKR
perfect for the mountains not best for the flats...big deal...I have 3 crispis and I only use some every 3 years. its the investment in the sport.

4th_point

WKR
I don't doubt that the boots will be great for that trip, but will they still be useful to me when I get back home? we mostly still hunt out of tripods for deer, or occasionally spot and stalk on public land. everything is flat, elevation about 50ft.

I don't mind spending the money, but also don't really want to pay $500 for a pair of boots that I will use for one hunt. Will the Mtn Extremes also serve as a good general boot for flat ground when I get home?
I really liked the Mt Ex when I wore heavy boots. I thought of them as 4wd lo-range for really steep and loose soil here on the OR coast and breaks of the Snake River.

Those boots fit me great and always felt good to put on, but for pounding miles on flat trails or cat roads I had to change my gait. Not ski boot stiff, but way more boot than necessary for flat ground.

I've recently gone away from heavy boots and get by with less now, but was a bit cautious to see if my feet and ankles were up to it.

Once you get the boots and try them on inside, you'll know if they'll be OK for flatland.

Lone Duck

FNG
I own the Kenetrek 400G ME, uninsulated ME, and a pair of hardscrabbles. Best boots I have ever owned. The 400G were not too much boot for me in earlier seasons, but my feet don't run hot. You never know what kind of weather you will get in late October.

Here is my take and it is not budget friendly.

Buy a pair of the Kenetrek's and they'll be dedicated for "out west" hunting. After your cow elk hunt, clean and treat them and put them away in a safe place.

Buy a different pair better suited for hunting at home.

id450

WKR
spent a ton of time wearing out these out. Amazing boot and can’t believe I’m gonna talk you out of it potentially . . Pack trip for a cow , you won’t need them again With what your doing. Yes you can walk around on the flats but’s it’s a stiff boot, made for specific task above tree line with heavy pack outs ( for the most part) . Having said that I’ve worn them early season elk in mild country, mostly becaise of lava rock in the SW. I’m currently looking and trying new shoes with a flex rating of 1-2 for what I don’t need these. Don’t get me wrong, extreme country, bjg miles - all day. For your needs getting packed in and packed out running ridges for one hunt. Look at a few optins. Schnee timberline or even a beartooth, along the lines off the timeline salewa Mtn or alpine trainer , Salomon quest GTx . I have a thread going now askjg a kit pack outs in those boots under heavy load becaise I’m so used to my mountain extremes. Good luck on your hunt.

Attachments

• 81D75B36-3FEA-493E-B714-4B35DAD6A594.jpeg
    81D75B36-3FEA-493E-B714-4B35DAD6A594.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
R

RobinW

FNG
I bought them, and love them! I actually like the stiff sole and boot height (I hurt my foot earlier this year). I've been breaking them in 90+ degree heat and have over 50 miles on them so far, on rocks, trails and stairs. I have no regrets. I haven't climbed a treestand yet, but I really like how sturdy my foot feels in them.

Once I got them I realized they're a slightly taller heavier model similar to my 20 year old LLBean Knife Edge leather boots - up till now, they have been my time favorite. now my Mtn Exteme's are! and they give me reason to go out west again. I bought all the gear, now I have to use it!

I love mine for general purpose use. For me they are just as comfortable as a more dedicated hiking boot. If they weren't so expensive I would use them as a work boot.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd keep them. I don't wear mine for all my hunts, but I have worn them hunting quail, pheasants, and other times walking on flatter ground with no issue. After one day of constant side hilling hunting muleys in the mountains I swore I'd never have to soft a boot again. The Danner Pronghorns that had served me well around home were not the right choice for that.

I know the Kennetrek's like that take a long time to break in too. I bet you like them better with 100 miles on them than you do new.

AkRyan

WKR
The mountain extreme could be a bit warm so if you get sweaty feet keep that in mind. Only problem I ever had with mine was when your not walking on rough uneven ground they are just to stiff and don't allow your foot to flex, this started to impact my knees a bit on longer hunts so I went to a crispi boot and I will never go back.