winchester 95 grain deer season xp 243 win any good.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
is the 243 win winchester 95 grain deer season any good on whitetail at 100-150 yards i want a good expanision good penetration and good blood trail if they run. they are advertized on the box at 3100 fps and 2027 energy at the muzzle. and they say they are good for whitetail blacktail and mule deer. thank you and god bless.

EmperorMA

WKR
I have experience with the Winchester Deer season XP in .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, .270 Win and 7-08. I have seen nothing but bang/flops with all of them. Like real Hammer of Thor shit.

No hesitation at all to use Winchester Deer Season XP if the rifle likes them. In fact, because of the somewhat low cost and supreme effectiveness, I actually hope my deer rifles like them.

It has replaced the Nosler Ballistic Tip Factory ammo for me as it is about $8 - $10 cheaper and just as accurate and effective.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I have experience with the Winchester Deer season XP in .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, .270 Win and 7-08. I have seen nothing but bang/flops with all of them. Like real Hammer of Thor shit.

No hesitation at all to use Winchester Deer Season XP if the rifle likes them. In fact, because of the somewhat low cost and supreme effectiveness, I actually hope my deer rifles like them.

It has replaced the Nosler Ballistic Tip Factory ammo for me as it is about $8 - $10 cheaper and just as accurate and effective.
ok thats good to know its 5-8 dollars more than fedral blue box but if my gun likes it i will shoot it.

EmperorMA

WKR
ok thats good to know its 5-8 dollars more than fedral blue box but if my gun likes it i will shoot it.
When Winchester released the Deer Season XP, it was actually one of the least-expensive boxes of hunting ammo you could buy from one of the "marquis" brands, priced right with Federal Power Shok (blue box) and Hornady American Whitetail. However, word quickly spread about the accuracy and wicked effectiveness of the XP and they have slowly raised the prices over the ensuing years to where it is now, kind of solidly between the bargain offerings and just below premium offerings.

I think of the XP bullet's performance as most similar to the Nosler Ballistic Tip and Hornady SST, with the penetration of the former along with the rapid expansion of the latter.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
When Winchester released the Deer Season XP, it was actually one of the least-expensive boxes of hunting ammo you could buy from one of the "marquis" brands, priced right with Federal Power Shok (blue box) and Hornady American Whitetail. However, word quickly spread about the accuracy and wicked effectiveness of the XP and they have slowly raised the prices over the ensuing years to where it is now, kind of solidly between the bargain offerings and just below premium offerings.

I think of the XP bullet's performance as most similar to the Nosler Ballistic Tip and Hornady SST, with the penetration of the former along with the rapid expansion of the latter.
i hope they do good on deer. but i do not like the horandy sst i shot the superformance and hit two deer no blood on first one three drops on second one.

EmperorMA

WKR
i hope they do good on deer. but i do not like the horandy sst i shot the superformance and hit two deer no blood on first one three drops on second one.
I get you had bad experience with the SST. That is not the norm, I assure you. Any number of things could have gone wrong but it wasn't the bullet.

june-bug

FNG
I have similar results with the SST's on a few occasions but then in other instances they performed flawlessly and provided outstanding results. The few times that they underperformed for me though was enough and I just had to move away from them for peace of mind.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I have similar results with the SST's on a few occasions but then in other instances they performed flawlessly and provided outstanding results. The few times that they underperformed for me though was enough and I just had to move away from them for peace of mind.
yeah i probaly wouldnt shoot them sst in a 270 win because of what happend with my 243win i have moved to the fedral power shock 100 grain is what i have now i also have a box of the 95 grain winchester deer season xp i am gonna try i am fixing to try the 80 grain barnes ttsx all copper.

nosajnh

FNG
My son has had good luck with the Deer Season XP Copper on the couple deer he has shot. Nice 2"-3" exit hole on a 130# doe. Small sample size however so far I would not hesitate to use it.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
i will no longer use winchester deer season xp ammo cause it shot a 8 inch group out of my 243 win

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
watched a buddy of mine take a decent mule deer buck at 150 with the 95 xp ammo. Hit him just a tad far back. Deer walked 20 yards and fell over dead. No exit. I would say the bullet acted alot like the sst.

KenLee

WKR
With the SST in close, there's usually a small exit with just the core, as the front of the bullet splatters and wrecks internals. If you shoot em high and the deer isn't dead right there, it takes awhile to fill up with blood and get a blood trail.

Rich M

WKR
My experience with generic 100 gr soft points hasn't been that good.

We did shoot a small buck with 100 gr Nosler Partition at 125 yds, 2850-ish at muzzle. Went in front, thru heart, blew out the right side ribs, thru guts, and lodged in the "round" part of the ham. He didn't go far but did flop a little. On a broadside shot, no way that bullet aint going all the way thru.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I have a .243 and it loves the XP

So does my 30-06, my brothers 30-06, my father in laws 30-06, my brothers 300 Win Mag.....

Excellent bullet. Every animal went bang, flop with it.....well, technically one actually went "flop, bang" (lol, read below.)

My dad used my .243 in WY for antelope. I was watching from 1/2 a mile away as he was stalking a nice goat. I knew my dad was close, but lost sight of him on the stalk. Not being able to see him i started watching the goat. All of a sudden it looked like someone cut the strings of Pinocchio. A second later I even heard the shot. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen watching an animal drop before you can hear the shot. Flop, bang!

Last weekend my FIL and I were shooting long range, but before he hadn't shot his 06 since WY three yrs ago (rifles aren't allowed in our state) and he wanted to verify his zero. No my FIL isn't a huge hunter, he does it cuz I love it and just wants to have something in common with his SIL and for us to spend time together. He certainly hunts, but he's not gonna do it without me. And he's an average shot.

So on Sunday, he goes out, his gun is 4 inches high and an inch left. We make the needed adjustments. Bang, 3 shots in a nice little clover leaf, right at 2.5 inches high, dead center, with 150 Gr Winchester XP.

Great bullet, accurate in every rifle I've used it in and I love its performance.