Wind meter/Kestrel for Nrl hunter competition

WKR

WKR
How essential is a wind meter for nrl hunter?
If you have an understanding on reading wind and making wind calls, is a kestrel still advantageous?

Keep in mind that the RF binos i use have in board atmospherics.

I guess it would depend on your “system” or process. Definitely not advisable to be scrolling thru one to get ballistic solutions on the clock. I’ll be using one for periodic environment variable checks, other than that just running the LRF Binos with AB elite on the garmin watch.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
On board atmospherics won’t provide the wind call at actual location, which is arguably as or more important than air density/temp/humidity. I wouldn’t put faith in weather station wind info.

If you have the skills to accurately call wind based on flags, vegetation, or mirage, I would go that route. I can’t consistently do it yet so I use the basic Kestrel that, even if restarting after an auto-shutdown, can get me a spot on wind call in about 8-10 seconds.

Side question: what is the time limit/standard per target for NRL Hunter matches?

Theres a time limit of 4 minutes per stage but not a standard time per target. Stages are usually a 1 target x 4 positions (1x4), 2 targets x 2 positions (2x2) or 4 targets x 1 position (4x1). You figure you'll spend the first 45 seconds just setting up a glassing situation, 1 - 2 minutes glassing to ID and range the target(s) and the remaining time engaging.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Theres a time limit of 4 minutes per stage but not a standard time per target. Stages are usually a 1 target x 4 positions (1x4), 2 targets x 2 positions (2x2) or 4 targets x 1 position (4x1). You figure you'll spend the first 45 seconds just setting up a glassing situation, 1 - 2 minutes glassing to ID and range the target(s) and the remaining time engaging.
That sounds like an awesome format. I need to look into this - thanks for the info @Lunchbox37

@WKR I can see how things could turn into a rodeo quickly with too many gadgets to manage. I use mine for any shots over 300 under field conditions, but take my input with a grain of salt on this one 🤣

Lawnboi

WKR
You won’t use it on the clock. But I’d put it as very important for obtaining atmospherics and measuring wind whenever you can when not.

A wind meter lets me put a number to what I’m feeling, without it it’s a real wild guess.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
You won’t use it on the clock. But I’d put it as very important for obtaining atmospherics and measuring wind whenever you can when not.

A wind meter lets me put a number to what I’m feeling, without it it’s a real wild guess.
Which one are you using?

Lawnboi

WKR
Which one are you using?
I have a 5700. I’d buy the elite if I could go back and am going to upgrade my 5700 to an elite eventually.

Having backup ballistics is nice. Custom drag is nice. I do a lot of other shooting though and could benefit from some of the features beyond the basics.

Really you just need a reliable wind meter, the 5700 will do most of what’s needed for the average guy. Kestrels are fairly complex tools to use but they seem to be reliable. Being able to put a number on what you’re feeling and seeing in various locations is invaluable. As is adjusting atmospherics, though I know you said your binos do that already.

As I said for nrl, no way you’re pulling it out on the clock. But between stages and for assessing wind at different times it’s a great tool.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I have a 5700. I’d buy the elite if I could go back and am going to upgrade my 5700 to an elite eventually.

Having backup ballistics is nice. Custom drag is nice. I do a lot of other shooting though and could benefit from some of the features beyond the basics.

Really you just need a reliable wind meter, the 5700 will do most of what’s needed for the average guy. Kestrels are fairly complex tools to use but they seem to be reliable. Being able to put a number on what you’re feeling and seeing in various locations is invaluable. As is adjusting atmospherics, though I know you said your binos do that already.

As I said for nrl, no way you’re pulling it out on the clock. But between stages and for assessing wind at different times it’s a great tool.
What makes you want to upgrade to the elite?

at my home range, where I can shoot out to 880, I plan on putting up an actual weather station, to use and punch in manually to an app or calculator. So the kestrel would be mainly for when I travel or go to competitions.

That sounds like an awesome format. I need to look into this - thanks for the info
Here's a video on a match with triggercam and all that from Phillip Velayo. Go to the 10 minute mark to see the actual stages from then onwards. The stuff before then is just explaining the format, and they are doing it as a 2 person team which is an option.

Lawnboi

WKR
What makes you want to upgrade to the elite?

at my home range, where I can shoot out to 880, I plan on putting up an actual weather station, to use and punch in manually to an app or calculator. So the kestrel would be mainly for when I travel or go to competitions.
Custom drag curves for longer range and 22lr. Target card feature for PRS.

ID_Matt

WKR
I don't think it is a huge deal if you have a good understanding of wind to begin with and have something else to read the atmospherics - D/A, temp, etc. I have a kestrel and bring it to the competitions but the only time I may pull it out is to check wind speed between stages and get a baseline idea for what I may encounter on the next stage or if I want to cross reference my dope with my binos, but I have found the solutions my Sig RF binos give to be plenty adequate. A basic wind meter would probably suffice for just spot checking the wind speed occasionally. The 3 matches I shot last year, you were mostly sheltered in between stages so you had no idea what exact direction you were shooting or what the wind would be like at the actual stage... plus you were generally shooting across a canyon so wind wasn't terribly relevant where you staged.

codym

WKR
Question for you that have shot nrl hunter. On a 4 position stage could you technically shoot from your first position go to the second position shoot from there and then go back to the first position as it’s technically a different position from number two or do they all need to be completely different positions and how much designates a new position? I’ve read the rules, can’t find an answer and watched videos that would imply both scenarios.. thanks

It would be up to the Match Director... they might have 4 positions that are marked, or they might have it where you have to move to 4 different positions, or they may allow you to re-use a previous position. Its a question you would ask in the match safety brief or the RO of the stage.

Juan_ID

WKR
I’ve only done 4 nrl hunter matches so not a ton of experience but this is all I use for wind metering. I’ve never won a match either so there is that…
IMG_7391.jpeg

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
If there's no wind or stable wind, its not important.

If there's lots of wind or changing winds, it is important. Especially if you care about first hits.

I bring mine with hunting, so I bring it with to NRL. If you have it, you will use it.

EDIT:
Post #12 is spot on