Wind!

This year has been decent as I tagged an archery buck and muzzy cow elk in WA. With that said, I have spent a ton of time in the field and have observed some other hunters and it really surprises me when I see some of the tactics.

I will say, I grew up muzzleloader hunting and never really thought about the wind until about 10 years ago when I picked up a bow. I really didn't think about then until I was out hunting with a buddy one day and he had wind checker. Hunting changed for me that day and my success rate is much higher.

As an example, this last weekend, a couple buddies and I got on a herd early Sunday morning. The wind was pretty good and we had a spike with 5 cows coming our way right at daylight. This was perfect, we were about 100 yards from the truck and one buddy had a cow tag while the other needed to shoot a spike. They were on a trail that passed about 75 yard up the hill from us and our wind was perfect. At 379 yards I felt the wind hit the back of our neck and the elk stopped, stuck their noses in the air, then turned and ran the other direction. Those elk smelled us from 379 yards away.

Another example, when I killed my cow this year I elected to get the wind in my favor and come up on the elk. I ended up closing the distance even though the elk could see me, because they never smelled me. Another hunter made a comment as they had watched me kill her, he asked how I had got that close. It was simple, I had kept the wind in my favor, the same guy had elected to sit higher in the canyons and when those elk were coming up, they could smell him. They all ended up coming back down to the bottom and going up another canyon.

I have watched guys push elk with the wind blowing the wrong direction. I have had guys cut between a bull and I this year in Montana with the wind blowing the wrong direction. It never works out having the wind at your back.

The reason I bring it up? If you are hunting hard putting in the miles and still having a hard time finding success, check the wind. It might just be that key detail that will bring you success. I don't care how many scent eliminators or cover ups you use. If the wind is blowing towards them, they can smell you!

OP
huntingaddiction
The day I shot my cow this year we walked up to 125 yards of a bull with the wind in our favor from about 400 yards out. I have so many more instances where wind completely screwed us or our hunt went amazing because we had the wind the whole time. I truly believe it is the most important detail in hunting, right above not skylining yourself.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
a wind checker is key.
that little puff has saved me from a lot of wasted miles up mountains.
and made it possible to fill the freezer more often.

Is licking your finger and sticking it up in the wind still a thing? For those of you that don’t know when you get your finger wet, the cold side of it is where the wind is coming from.

Come hunt the wet side, you won't need the wind checker because it'll tell you something different every 10 seconds 😅

You can see 30 yds and the elk spook at 60 yds thanks to the constant swirly winds. Very frustrating! I'd rather hunt spikes on the east side at this point.

OP
huntingaddiction
Come hunt the wet side, you won't need the wind checker because it'll tell you something different every 10 seconds 😅

You can see 30 yds and the elk spook at 60 yds thanks to the constant swirly winds. Very frustrating! I'd rather hunt spikes on the east side at this point.
It's not different on the east side except you get more sun. It's slightly more predictable.

Yoder

WKR
But, but Scentlock.. I thought you could forget the wind and just hunt? When I stopped believing in that, I started killing way more deer.

jmez

WKR
So true. I knew nothing about the "wind" until I started bowhunting elk in the mountains. Since I've started that endeavor, I no longer practice "scent control" for deer hunting. I play the wind. My deer success and sightings have went up considerably.

Scoot

WKR
Swirling winds are the scurge of my existence when I hunt out west. Check the wind- good... move in- good wind... get to 60 yards... whoosh, wind at my back. DAMMIT!

I can't tell you how many times I've had a hot bull that was coming in screaming and all worked up and had the wind in my favor only to have the wind do a swaparoo and the bull go silent and slink outta there.

Sometimes they are really sensitive to scent, other times not so much, you just never know until its too late. Often animals find those spots where wind is swirly / squirrely and hang out there. You try to sneak in and about the time you are "almost there", the wind switches.

OP
huntingaddiction
Swirling winds are the scurge of my existence when I hunt out west. Check the wind- good... move in- good wind... get to 60 yards... whoosh, wind at my back. DAMMIT!

I can't tell you how many times I've had a hot bull that was coming in screaming and all worked up and had the wind in my favor only to have the wind do a swaparoo and the bull go silent and slink outta there.
If you hunt elk consistently, you know this feeling.

I had a group of cows smell me at 575 yards last year in rifle. Felt it hit my neck and quickly found a rest. Sure enough they got out of their beds and looked my direction and started trotting away. I stopped them and shot one at 575 but i know they smelled me and were on their way out

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk