Winter kill question

Lowg08

WKR
So I’ve been seeing threads on elk and mule deer winter kills. I know western bears hibernate. I have no clue about any of this. Will bears in hibernation die from winter kill.

I know the grizzly are coming out and will feed on the carcass.

Last edited:

Werty

WKR
Bears can starve to death, but they would come out of "hibernation " first. Then its possible, but I have never read about it happening.
With a lot of winter kill deer and elk it will help predators.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I had been trying to find articles or research on it effecting bears but it seems to be mostly ungulates. Also looks like the high amount of carcasses. Will possibly cause worse human bear interactions due to the large numbers of carcasses and unaware visitors.

Winter snowpack depth and duration of snowpack doesn't effect emergence or bear mortality. Bears will emerge at a given time, regardless of snow/temperature conditions.

Doesn't mean that there'll be greenery for them to munch on, but bears are industrious creatures and they'll scrounge up whatever it takes to get them through the most adverse conditions.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Our bears on the east coast don’t have to deal with what western bears do. Had me wondering. Thanks for the info