Wolf Depredation In Grand County, CO

Ucsdryder

WKR
Lots of articles if you google. This is bad news for the ranchers, but good news for anti-wolfers. Pay the rancher, keep letting the vermin eat cattle, hopefully it starts creating some uproar.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
It's been confirmed by CPW, just got the email.

GRAND COUNTY, Colo. - On the morning of April 2, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) received a report of a possible depredation incident after a landowner in Grand County contacted officers to report a dead calf. CPW wildlife officers quickly responded, conducted a field investigation, and confirmed a wolf-livestock depredation had occurred.

“The results of this investigation indicated wounds consistent with wolf depredation,” said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Jeromy Huntington. “The field investigation found multiple tooth rake marks on the calf's hindquarters and neck, and hemorrhaging under the hide, consistent with wolf depredation. Wolf tracks were also found nearby.”

The livestock producer will be eligible for fair market value compensation if a claim is submitted. CPW provides reimbursement for damages caused by gray wolves to livestock defined in C.R.S. 33-2-105.8 and animals used for guard/herding purposes and may provide conflict minimization materials under its Gray Wolf Compensation and Conflict Minimization Program.

Per Colorado Revised Statutes 24-72-204(3)(a)(XXI), CPW may not release private landowner information. The landowner has requested not to be contacted.

CPW staff will continue contacting producers in the area, and encouraging the use of appropriate non-lethal deterrents available through the agency.

parshal

WKR
Remind me of where the funding comes from for reimbursement?
In 2023, Western Slope lawmakers from both parties brought a bill allocating $350,000 annually to a compensation fund providing up to $15,000 in reimbursement per animal killed or injured by a wolf or wolves. Under Proposition 114, the ballot measure that proposed reintroducing wolves, the state was required to create a fund for compensating ranchers.

The Colorado legislature rejected a bill this week that would have made it harder for ranchers to receive that compensation.

fishslap

WKR
In 2023, Western Slope lawmakers from both parties brought a bill allocating $350,000 annually to a compensation fund providing up to $15,000 in reimbursement per animal killed or injured by a wolf or wolves. Under Proposition 114, the ballot measure that proposed reintroducing wolves, the state was required to create a fund for compensating ranchers.

The Colorado legislature rejected a bill this week that would have made it harder for ranchers to receive that compensation.

I’m wondering if the state funding is coming from hunting and fishing licenses.

Cruebee

FNG
I won't name names, but I've heard a bunch of Wyo folk who say if they see a CO tagged wolf, they won't have a problem shooting it.

I've also been encouraged by other Colorado hunters I won't associate with anymore, that "we should all just shoot the ones we see, and pocket the casings". "Shoot it and Shut up", the last guy said.

This whole thing is breeding worse hunters, and conservation is 1000% not the winner in any situation where folks feel like they are entitled to cowboy diplomacy.

I only started hunting recently, and I have no real agenda other than, I don't want to lose access to hunting rights or public land access. I'd like to have a little success in the woods before it is stripped away from me before I even begin.

I won't name names, but I've heard a bunch of Wyo folk who say if they see a CO tagged wolf, they won't have a problem shooting it.

I've also been encouraged by other Colorado hunters I won't associate with anymore, that "we should all just shoot the ones we see, and pocket the casings". "Shoot it and Shut up", the last guy said.

This whole thing is breeding worse hunters, and conservation is 1000% not the winner in any situation where folks feel like they are entitled to cowboy diplomacy.

I only started hunting recently, and I have no real agenda other than, I don't want to lose access to hunting rights or public land access. I'd like to have a little success in the woods before it is stripped away from me before I even begin.
What’s wrong with Wyoming folks shooting them?

They have a year round wolf season and it’s perfectly legal for them to shoot wolves in Wyoming. I would hope everyone up there would shoot one if given the chance.