World record big horn sheep

CasNed, thanks for sharing, what a stud that ram was. Sad to see him go like that but at least he was recovered. Can only imagine what that ram looked like on the hoof.

He was 46 and change on one horn and 45 and change on the other. 16 and 5/8 bases and he carried the mass the whole way. The last circumference was almost 11 inches. Just impressive.

I spent the last few years of my decades of employment in resource management with the Alberta Environment ministry, AFS and I have seen a number of rams like that in inaccessible places where only a helicopter can get to and land. These, were in an area fairly close to where that old boy lived, but, while some hunting can be done there, much of the area is Canadian National Park land.

I also once saw a RM Goat. a fairly common species here in BC, in that AB region and he had honkin' great horns that looked longer than his whole head; he was bedded in a scree field that was above a 1000 ft. drop and was totally in command of all he surveyed.

He was ear tagged as many of the sheep in the Sheep river provincial park are captured and tagged some point in their life. This sheep and another great ram lived on private land in a zone that doesnt have a sheep season and would travel to the sanctuary only for the rut. They were both notorious and hung out along the highway on the hills...Looked very out of place

He was ear tagged as many of the sheep in the Sheep river provincial park are captured and tagged some point in their life. This sheep and another great ram lived on private land in a zone that doesnt have a sheep season and would travel to the sanctuary only for the rut. They were both notorious and hung out along the highway on the hills...Looked very out of place

Thanks for the info.

Back