WP 24-26 extend sheep closures in units 26 and 24

OP
akbrett

akbrett

FNG
yeah i saw that. be curious to see how many sublegals have been taken out of there in the last 10years.
meanwhile they want to leave 26b open to the locals for 7/8 curl
also 24b will still be open to locals allowing them to shoot 3 sheep only one of which can be an ewe.

yet they’ll open it back up to everyone if we change the rules to only full curl.

seems to me age is more critical than full curl. with lots of 6-7year old full curls being killed last few years.

the proposal states that the western regional council “believes” the sheep are still experiencing hardships, wondering if there was a survey flown or how they came to this conclusion.

is there anyone familiar with this process, it says there having a meeting to go over all of these proposals april 2-5. will there be a public comment period? or someway to oppose said restrictions. during the original wildlife special action in 2022 there was some what of a hearing on the phone you could listen to and testify. will this be the same?

KBaird

FNG
Public comments on WP 24-26 were due last June. I submitted one, but in the materials for a meeting that supposedly happened last week it shows no written public comments were submitted. So that’s cool. Not sure where we stand now. Page 89 of this document is where 24-26 begins.

https://www.doi.gov/media/document/r10-nsrac-0

KBaird

FNG
Sorry, their website is a maze. Google led me to the north slope meeting info for that last one. Western Interior met last fall on it I guess and this was in their meeting book from last week regarding October’s minutes. Their October book also showed “no written public comment”.

A7884D60-2BFB-41E8-9C9A-1F5CD0EBC10B.jpeg