WT jackets—do you use the “harness pass-thru”? How?

Pick the option that applies to you

• I have no idea what you are talking about

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Does not apply to my harness, and I would not buy a jacket with it

• Does not apply to my harness but Id buy the right jacket with it anyway

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I have used it and like it; but not a must-have

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I have used it and like it—will not buy a jacket without it

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I have used it and dont like it, will not buy jacket with this feature

• I have used it and dont like it, but I dont mind buying a jacket with it

• I have not used it but I think id like it

• I have not used it but I dont think Id like it.

• Total voters

Macintosh

WKR
A number of jackets ive seen made for whitetail hunting—which seem to be the only quiet fabrics around that arent fleece or wool—have a hole between the shoulder blades for a tree stand harness to pass thru, the idea being that you can wear the jacket over your harness by passing the clip-in tether through the jacket.

I frequently add or remove layers while in the stand, so this seems a pain since your jacket is now trapped in the tether forcing you to unclip, pass through jacket, then put it on.

Curious to hear from people who have actually used this feature what you thought of it after using it. Do any of you regularly use this feature on jackets that have it? Do you like it? If so do you change layers in the stand and if so do you just unclip?

Thess87

WKR
Only thing I have that I use it on is the fanatic. Cause if you don’t it let’s cold air down your back. And it’s super easy, you don’t have to unhook with it.

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a few of the sitka outer layers for whitetail. The harness passthrough is an absolute game changer IMO. It lets me walk in and get setup in lighter weight clothes so I don't start sweating. I'll put my outer layers in my pack and pull it up once I've cooled off then I can slip them on and remain attached to my harness.

On evening hunts it's the same thing. Just leave my heavier stuff in my pack until it I start to get cold. It's probably my favorite thing that I've seen them implement. Since then, I've passed on other clothing since it didn't have a pass through.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
... It lets me walk in and get setup in lighter weight clothes so I don't start sweating. I'll put my outer layers in my pack and pull it up once I've cooled off then I can slip them on and remain attached to my harness.

On evening hunts it's the same thing. Just leave my heavier stuff in my pack until it I start to get cold. ...
if I'm understanding you correctly, you are already in tree so you need to unclip your harness from the tree in order to put another layer on, correct? Otherwise there is no way to get the tether through the hole in the jacket. This matches my understanding, does it bug you to need to unclip in order to change layers?

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Only thing I have that I use it on is the fanatic. Cause if you don’t it let’s cold air down your back. And it’s super easy, you don’t have to unhook with it.
The only way I can conceive of doing this without having to unclip from the tree would be if you put it on on the ground before you clip into the tree. Or have you figured out a way to get your harness tether through the hole while you are wearing it and while it is clipped in? Doesnt seem possible, so I'm trying to make sure I understand what you are doing.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Agree, and I use a saddle as well, but thats not the question. I have my opinions, Im wondering what people who have the possibility of using this feature think. I am specifically asking for feedback from people who use a tree stand harness here.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s a great feature like mentioned before I can walk in with just my baselayer and midlayer. Throw on a vest/ next layer with the same feature at the base of the tree and climb in/hang my set. If needed I have my heavy jacket strapped to my pack I can throw on later.
Without the pass through on, I hated that feeling of the harness going up the back of my neck if I threw a layer on over the harness and it constricted some of my shooting as my elbow at full draw could hit it or get hung up. And if I put it over my outer layer it sometimes made the hand pockets inaccessible because of where the hip belt was. Sure I’m taking a risk by unclipping to put a new layer on but it’s literally 3 seconds. I put the tether through the pass through first, clip back on immediately then put my arms in the sleeves pull the jacket on and I’m good to go.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
I think it’s a great feature like mentioned before I can walk in with just my baselayer and midlayer. Throw on a vest/ next layer with the same feature at the base of the tree and climb in/hang my set. If needed I have my heavy jacket strapped to my pack I can throw on later.
Without the pass through on, I hated that feeling of the harness going up the back of my neck if I threw a layer on over the harness and it constricted some of my shooting as my elbow at full draw could hit it or get hung up. And if I put it over my outer layer it sometimes made the hand pockets inaccessible because of where the hip belt was. Sure I’m taking a risk by unclipping to put a new layer on but it’s literally 3 seconds. I put the tether through the pass through first, clip back on immediately then put my arms in the sleeves pull the jacket on and I’m good to go.
If you were purchasing a new jacket for this type of hunting, would you avoid a jacket that does not have it? Would you pay more for it? Ie is it a must-have for you?

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
At least for my outer layer it’s a must have now. And I have multiple outer layers depending on the time of year and later when the temps drop those early season outer layers may turn into mid layers for me. The biggest benefit for me was being able to access my pockets on my outer layer when before I wore the harness over the top I couldn’t use the pockets or it was awkward trying to get my hands in and out and because of the waist belt placement. Layering is much easier to me too especially adding and removing but whatever layers you are going to wear under the harness from the start should be dialed so you don’t have to remove your harness completely. Majority of the year I wear a merino base layer and fanatic hoodie then harness and everything on top of that is interchangeable weather dependent

Thess87

WKR
The only way I can conceive of doing this without having to unclip from the tree would be if you put it on on the ground before you clip into the tree. Or have you figured out a way to get your harness tether through the hole while you are wearing it and while it is clipped in? Doesnt seem possible, so I'm trying to make sure I understand what you are
860ABBC1-0732-465E-86D2-77E3837521E4.png

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
@Thess87 that makes sense, had not seen one like that. What are your thought on the “non-opening openings”?

SloppyJ

WKR
if I'm understanding you correctly, you are already in tree so you need to unclip your harness from the tree in order to put another layer on, correct? Otherwise there is no way to get the tether through the hole in the jacket. This matches my understanding, does it bug you to need to unclip in order to change layers?

No, when using my gear with the pass through, I do not need to unclip from the tree. That's why I like it. When I'm wearing the jacket without a harness, you don't even know the pass through is there due to how Stika has designed it.

If I'm using gear that doesn't have the pass through built in then yes, I do have to unclip to completely remove a layer. I do not like that just for the opportunity it creates being unsecured.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
@SloppyJ You are referring to a pass-thru like the one pictured above that opens up, correct? A non-opening pass-thru like that found on first-lite and most other brands would prevent what you are talking about?

I use either a saddle or a rock climbing harness at this point so all of them are useless features for me. Regardless, seems enough people use them, surprised me a bit--I guess I'm always skeptical of stuff like this. It's good to hear it's not just a gimmick.

JustinRB

FNG
Nice feature
But Saddle hunter here so not needed but not going to avoid a product because it has it on it

WCB

WKR
I've used jackets with them (non opening). I like it for the fact others have stated that it doesn't pull your collar down and let cold air in. Also, if you have a hood it is needed unless one of your base or mid layers has a hood. I hate hoods but when it is snowing and blowing from behind Ill throw my jackets hood up and a mid layer hood would suck because now snow is going down your back.

I add and take off layers and unless you put your harness on just over your base layer it's a pain in the ass anyways and I normally just take my shoulder straps off quick. Call me a risk taker but I'll unhook for 30 seconds to take a coat off or put one on. I also don't climb preset sticks with a climbing belt and only a couple trees do I use a safe link system in.