WY Deer Waste

While driving to work this morning a white tail doe appeared out of a cloud of snow and I clipped her head with my truck. I stopped and pulled her off the road. Her body seemed fine and I figured I would try and salvage what I could. I look on the WGF website and it says that to keep road kill you need an "interstate game tag". I then call the local game warden to obtain a tag and he informs me that nobody is allowed to keep road kill because they think poachers could claim they found it or hit it. I drove away this morning feeling awful because I just killed something and I was required by law to leave it. Does anyone actually think that poaching would increase if people were allowed to keep road kill?

I get there stance, but should be work around in place to have police etc to verify it's road kill and issue a tag

If its any consolation nature lets nothing go to waste. Animals that die with out being consumed by a human does not mean there remains are wasted. May not be what your wanting to hear, but mother earth uses death to replenish all things living.

I don't get it, but on the other end I don't get wanton waste laws either.
X2.

If I mow down a deer with my car, on purpose or on accident, I'm required to leave it on the side of the road to rot in most states. Yet if I kill a deer on purpose with whatever weapon is in season I can be charged with wanton waste if I don't take enough of the meat. Brilliant....

To the OP. I doubt it would cause enough of an increase in poaching to make any tangible difference at all. It's not like I can choose to have a nice 170" 4x4 to jump out in front of my truck instead of that stupid doe. My luck I'd smash the horns to tiny pieces if I ever did hit a nice buck anyway.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

They finally changed the law in July of this year that we can pick up road kill in Wa, I haven't seen a deer on the side of the road since they changed the law.

I hit one in a similar fashion 3 or so years ago. I center punched her head with my driver headlight. In Utah at the time it wasn't legal to salvage, but I think that has since been changed. We ended up doing the right thing, despite the law.

Montana changed their laws a few years ago so we can salvage road kill. I haven't read anything in the paper or heard anything on the news about any increase in poaching in relation to the change. More than half the time the animals are so busted up it isn't worth the trouble to mess with salvage, but as illustrated by some of the examples in this thread there are a few worth trying to salvage.

Back